Photosensitizer Drugs Market: Introduction
- Photosensitizer drugs or photosensitizing agents are used in the photodynamic therapy (PDT) for the treatment of cancer. These agents are exposed to a specific wavelength of light to produce active form of oxygen that kills nearby cancer cells. Various forms of photosensitizer drugs includes porphyrin derivatives, Aminolevulinic acid (ALA), chlorines, and others.
- First generation photosensitizers, porphyrin derivative (PD) are effective for treating brain, lung, laryngeal, gastric, skin, and esophageal carcinomas to a certain degree. Photosensitizing agent called porfimer sodium, or Photofrin, is a U.S. FDA approved drug used in PDT for the treatment of esophageal cancer and non-small cell lung cancer.
- Second generation photosensitizers are based on porphyrin structure such as benzoporphyrins, texaphyrins, purpurins, naphthalocyanines, and phthalocyanines
- Another commonly used photosensitizer is 5-aminolevulinic acid (ALA), which is majorly used for oral leukoplakia, owing to the benefits of low-light dose
- Photosensitizers, such as mono-aspartyl chlorine e6 (NPe6), temoporfin, and hexylpyropheophorbide (HPPH), are based on the chlorine structure
Get a Glimpse of the In-Depth Analysis through our Comprehensive Photosensitizer Drugs Market Brochure
Key Drivers of Global Photosensitizer Drugs Market
- Increase in prevalence of cancers and rise in the burden of dermatology disorders are key factors projected to boost the global photosensitizer drugs market during the forecast period
- According to the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO), head and neck cancer accounted for nearly 4% of all cancers in the U.S. in 2017. The report indicated that approximately 65,000 individuals would develop head and neck cancer. This is anticipated to increase the demand for photosensitizer drugs in the near future.
- Skin diseases are considered to be significantly common and rank fourth among the most common illnesses globally
- According to the World Health Organization (WHO), one in every three cancers diagnosed is skin cancer and according to Skin Cancer Foundation Statistics, one in every five Americans would develop skin cancer in their lifetime
- Baby boomer population susceptible to a range of cancers and skin diseases is expected to drive the demand for photosensitizer drugs during the forecast period
North America to Dominate Global Photosensitizer Drugs Market
- Rise in prevalence of skin disorders, such as acne, psoriasis, actinic keratosis, increase in prevalence of cancers, and surge in the number of cosmetologists using PDT, are likely to propel the demand for photosensitizer drugs in the region
- Acne is considered to be one of the most common skin conditions in the U.S., which affects over 50 million people every year. Its prevalence is known to be higher in women, affecting over 15% of the total adult women population.
- Psoriasis is known to affect over 7.5 million people in the U.S. each year, with higher prevalence in population aged between 45 years and 64 years
- This significant rise in the prevalence of skin diseases and economic burden of these diseases create demand for cost-effective modes of treatment. This, in turn, is boosting the growth of the global photosensitizer drugs market.
- The photosensitizer drugs market in the U.K. is anticipated to grow at a rapid pace, owing to approval of drugs indicated for cancer, increase in R&D expenditure on oncology, and rapid expansion of the pharmaceutical industry in the country
- Growing attention toward new anti-cancer therapies is also an important factor that is likely to drive the global market during the forecast period
- In October 2019, Theralase Technologies Inc. was granted a European Patent for their anti-cancer light-activated photodynamic compounds (PDCs)
- Rise in the burden of skin disorders, including acne, psoriasis, and presence of a large baby boomer population, which increases the risk of cancer in developing countries, such as India and China, are key factors augmenting the photosensitizer drugs market in Asia Pacific
Expanding Operations in Future? To Get the Perfect Launch Ask for a Custom Photosensitizer Drugs Market Report
Key Players Operating in Global Photosensitizer Drugs Market
Major players operating in the global photosensitizer drugs market are:
- Galderma laboratories
- BIOFRONTERA AG
- Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd
- LUMIBIRD group (Quantel Medical)
- Theralase Technologies Inc
- Quest PharmaTech Inc.
- Modulight Sorin
- Excel Lasers Limited
Global Photosensitizer Drugs Market: Research Scope
Global Photosensitizer Drugs Market, by Product
- Porphyrin Derivatives (PD)
- Hematoporphyrin Derivative (HpD)
- Benzoporphyrin Derivative (BPD)
- Aminolevulinic acid (ALA)
Global Photosensitizer Drugs Market, by Application
- Basal Cell Carcinoma
- Non-small Cell Lung Cancer
- Head & Neck Cancer
- Actinic Keratosis (AK)
Global Photosensitizer Drugs Market, by End-user
- Cosmetics & Dermatology Clinics (C&DC)
- Cancer Treatment Centers (CCC)
Global Photosensitizer Drugs Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.