Phenol-formaldehyde Resin Market: Overview
Phenol formaldehyde resins (PF) are also known as phenolic resins. Formaldehyde forms −CH2− bridges between two phenol molecules, producing chains. Linear chains are obtained when the reaction ratio is 1:1. Phenol, however, may also react with a third formaldehyde molecule. Whenever this happens, a branch is formed in the chain. Phenol-formaldehyde resins are synthetic polymers that are obtained through the reaction of phenol or substituted phenol with formaldehyde.
Phenol-formaldehyde Resin Market: Key Segments
Based on production, phenol formaldehyde resins can be categorized into two types. These are called Novolacs and Resoles. Novolac resins are produced under acidic condition with excess phenol, while resol resins are produced under basic conditions with excess formaldehyde. Novolacs are phenol-formaldehyde resin with a formaldehyde to phenol molar ratio of less than one. The polymerization is brought to completion using acid catalysts such as oxalic acid, hydrochloric acid, or sulfonate acids. This method of production restricts the formaldehyde to the production of a prepolymer known as novolac, which can be moulded and then cured with the addition of more formaldehyde and heat. In the first method, phenol and formaldehyde react directly and produce a thermosetting network polymer. There are many variations in both production and input materials that are used to produce a wide variety of resins for special purposes.
Phenol-formaldehyde Resin Market: Drivers & Restraints
Phenol-formaldehyde resin was one of the earliest marketed synthetic polymers under the trade-name Bakelite. It has long been used as an insulator for switches and other electric devices. The presence of phenol groups gives phenol formaldehyde an unpleasant dark color. Phenol-formaldehyde resin happen sometimes to bind directly, without −CH2− bridges, forming condensed aromatic rings that are black in color and are responsible for darkening of many products, such as rotting fruit or white cloth yellowed by time. Phenol resin usage is declining nowadays because of competition from modern plastics. The small production still present is mainly of cheap, low-quality items such as pieces for games.
In terms of application, the global phenol-formaldehyde resin market can be segmented into laminates, insulation, molding compound, wood adhesives, and others. The most important application of phenol-formaldehyde resin is in the production of composite boards, such as plastic laminate. The boards comprise a relatively incoherent material pasted with a phenol resin acting as a glue. Composite boards are used mostly for workbench tops but may also have higher prized usages in floors, doors, parts of machines, and printed circuit boards.
Phenol-formaldehyde Resin Market: Regional Outlook
Based on region, the global phenol-formaldehyde resin market can be categorized into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. Asia Pacific dominates the global phenol-formaldehyde resin market, followed by North America. The phenol-formaldehyde resin market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to expand during the forecast period due an increase in demand from the building and construction industry. The growth is mainly attributed to an increase in rates of industrialization and globalization across the globe. Demand for phenol-formaldehyde resin is also expected to increase from the automotive and electronics industries. China is anticipated to be a prominent country of the phenol-formaldehyde resin market, followed by other emerging economies in Asia Pacific. Asia Pacific is a dominant region of the phenol-formaldehyde resin market, owing to rapid urbanization in the region.
Phenol-formaldehyde Resin Market: Key Players
Key players in the global phenol-formaldehyde resin market include CIECH S.A., BASF SE, Hitachi Chemical Co. Ltd., DIC Corporation, and Mitsui Chemicals, Inc.
This intelligence report by TMR is the outcome of intense study and rigorous assessment of various dynamics shaping the growth of the market. TMR nurtures a close-knit team of analysts, strategists, and industry experts who offer clients tools, methodologies, and frameworks to make smarter decisions. Our objective, insights, and actionable analytics provide CXOs and executives to advance their mission-critical priorities with confidence.
The scrutiny of the various forces impacting the dynamics of the market, and key and associated industries, guides enterprises in understanding various consumer propositions. Our clients leverage these insights and perspectives to enhance customer experience in the fast-paced business environment.
All our insights and perspectives are broadly based on 4 Pillars or Stages: ASBC-S, which offer an elaborate and customizable framework for the success of an organization. The essence and the roles of these in organizational successes are highlighted below:
- Agenda for CXOs: TMR, through the study, sets the tone for agendas that are pertinent to CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and other CXO executives of businesses operating in the market. The perspectives help our clients to bridge the gap between agenda and action plan. TMR strives to offer guidance to CXOs to undertake mission-critical activities empowered by various business analysis tools, and boost the performance of the organizations. The perspectives guide you to decide on your own marketing mix that align well with the policies, visions, and mission.
- Strategic Frameworks: The study offers how organizations are setting both short-term and long-term strategic plans. Our team of experts collaborate and communicate with you to understand these to make your organizations sustainable and resilient during tough times. The insights help them decide sustainable competitive advantage for each business units.
- Benchmarking for Deciding Target Markets and Brand Positioning: The assessments in the study provides a scrutiny of marketing channels and marketing mix. Our various teams work synergistically with you to help identify your actual and potential direct, indirect, and budget competition areas. Additionally, the study helps you decide most effective budgets for various processes and promotional activities. Furthermore, the study guides you to set benchmarks for integrating people and processes with the 4Ps of marketing. Eventually, this will empower you to find out unique propositioning strategies and niches.
- Business Composability for Sustainability (C-S): Constant strategy planning for sustainability characterizing our C-S framework in the report has become more relevant than before in the face of disruptions caused by pandemics, recessions, boom and bust cycles, and changing geopolitical scenario. The TMR study offers a high level of customization to help you achieve business composability. Composable enterprises are increasingly gaining the attention of CXOs in order to help them combat market volatility. Our analysts and industry experts help you wade through such uncertainties and guide you to become a smart sustainable business in entirety.
The study presents scrutiny of region-specific consumer and technology trends, including the most recent industry dynamics. These broadly cover but not limited to
- North America, South America, and the Americas
- Asia Pacific and Japan
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
The study offers data-driven insights and guidance of several aspects. Some of the more notable questions are:
- What are the major recent trends that can influence the product life cycle and the RoI?
- Which regulatory trends shape corporate-level, business-level, and functional-level strategies?
- Which micromarketing initiatives of leading players will bring in investments?
- What can be the best framework and tools for PESTLE analysis?
- Which regions will witness rise in new opportunities?
- Which are the game-changing technologies being used to capture new revenue streams in the near future?
- Which operational and tactical frameworks are being adopted by various players in gaining customer loyalty?
- What is the current and expected intensity of competition the market in the near future?
With a robust experience in creating exceptional market reports, Transparency Market Research has emerged as one of the trusted market research companies among a large number of stakeholders and CXOs. Every report at Transparency Market Research goes through rigorous research activity in every aspect. The researchers at TMR keep a close watch on the market and extract beneficial growth-boosting points. These points help the stakeholders to strategize their business plans accordingly.
TMR researchers conduct exhaustive qualitative and quantitative research. This research involves taking inputs from the experts in the market, focused attention on recent developments, and others. This method of research makes TMR stand out from other market research firms.
Here's how Transparency Market Research helps the stakeholders and CXOs through the reports:
Inculcation and Evaluation of Strategic Collaborations: The TMR researchers analyze recent strategic activities like mergers, acquisitions, partnerships, collaborations, and joint ventures. All the information is compiled and included in the report.
Perfect Market Size Estimations: The report analyzes the demographics, growth potential, and capability of the market through the forecast period. This factor leads to the estimation of the market size and also provides an outline about how the market will retrieve growth during the assessment period.
Investment Research: The report focuses on the ongoing and upcoming investment opportunities across a particular market. These developments make the stakeholders aware of the current investment scenario across the market.
Disclaimer: This market research study is an ongoing effort and extreme care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy at all stages. However, in the light of the rapidly evolving business dynamics, some region-specific or other segment-specific changes may take time to be part of the study.