PCR System for Food Testing: Introduction
- Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) is a method for amplifying a specific piece of DNA
- PCR system detects foodborne pathogens and other important food quality and safety targets, accurately and quickly
- PCR systems offer qualitative detection of major pathogens including Cronobacter spp., Listeria, E. coli O157:H7, and Salmonella, and other important targets in environment and food
- The application of real-time polymerase chain reaction (PCR) is one of the most promising advancements in food quality and safety, providing reliable, rapid, and quantitative results
- Real-time PCR has become an important alternative to traditional detection methods in the food and agricultural industries
- Advantages of quantitative real-time PCR include excellent detection limit, sensitivity, specificity, selectivity, speed, and potential for automation
- The global PCR system for food diagnostic market is expected to be driven by increase in food contamination due to various microorganisms, including bacteria and fungi
Key Drivers of Global PCR Food Testing Systems Market
- The global PCR food testing systems market is driven by increase in the number of foodborne diseases
- According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, researchers have identified over 250 foodborne diseases to date. Most of the infections are caused due to various viruses, bacteria, and parasites.
- According to the World Health Organization, unsafe food causes 600 million cases and 420,000 deaths due to foodborne illnesses each year. Globally, 1 in 10 people fall sick each year after consuming contaminated food. Around 125,000 children under 5 years die each year due to unsafe food.
- Hence, increase in incidence of foodborne diseases is projected to drive the demand for PCR system for food diagnostics during the forecast period
Consumables Segment to Grow at Rapid Pace
- In terms of product, the global PCR food testing systems market can be bifurcated into instruments and consumables
- The consumables segment includes reagents, assays, probes, and kits
- The consumables segment is anticipated to grow at a rapid pace during the forecast period
- Wide applicability and easy transport and handling are expected to drive the demand for consumables during the forecast period.
North America to Dominate Global PCR Food Testing Systems Market
- In terms of region, the global PCR food testing systems market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America is projected to dominate the global PCR food testing systems market during the forecast period. Increase in the initiation of food safety acts and stringent regulations by governments are likely to propel the market in the region.
- Europe is anticipated to offer significant opportunities in the PCR food testing systems market due to influence of regulatory organizations such as the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) on PCR systems used for food testing
Key Players Operating in Global PCR Food Testing Systems Market
The global PCR food testing systems market is consolidated, with small number of major players accounting for majority market share. Key players operating in the global PCR food testing systems market are:
- Danaher Corporation
- Hygiena LLC
- Minerva Biolabs GmbH
- QIAGEN NV
- Agilent Technologies Inc.
- bioMérieux SA
- Bio-Rad Laboratories Inc.
- BIOTECON Diagnostics GmbH
- R-Biopharm AG
- Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc.
Global PCR Food Testing Systems Market: Research Scope
Global PCR Food Testing Systems Market, by Product
Global PCR Food Testing Systems Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!