Patient Blood Management Market: Introduction
- Patient blood management (PBM) is a standard of care in the healthcare system, which offers to maximize the use of a patient’s own blood and avoid unnecessary blood transfusions during surgery. Patient blood management can also reduce the need for allogeneic blood transfusions and reduce health-care costs, while ensuring that blood components are available for patients who need them. It represents an international initiative in best practices for transfusion medicine that is supported by the World Health Organization (WHO).
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Patient Blood Management Market
- Increasing demand for donated blood is a major factor boosting the market. Increasing incidence of chronic diseases is boosting the demand for donation of blood. According to the American Cancer Society, more than 1.8 million people are expected to be diagnosed with cancer in 2020. Several of them are likely to need blood, sometimes daily, during their chemotherapy treatment. Sickle cell patients also require blood transfusions throughout their lives. As per The American National Red Cross, sickle cell disease affects 90,000 to 100,000 people in the U.S. and about 1,000 babies are born with the disease each year.
- However, high cost associated with automated systems is a key factor restraining the patient blood management market. A unit of blood usually costs about US$ 200 to US$ 300. There are added costs for storage and processing, as well as hospital and equipment fees. Costs can be much higher if the transfusion causes an infection or serious health issue. According to the study, when all activities involved in blood transfusion are considered, the estimated price of transfusion of one unit of red cells is between US$ 700 to US$ 1,200.
Instrument Segment to Dominate Global Patient Blood Management Market
- Based on product, the global patient blood management market can be divided into Instruments, accessories, reagents and kits, and software. The instruments segment can be further classified into blood processing devices, blood transfusion devices, blood culture screening devices, diagnostic & testing instruments, and blood storage devices. The blood processing devices subs-segment can be further split into centrifuges and blood cell processors. The blood transfusion devices segment can be further segregated into apheresis machines, plasma & plasma component separators, cell salvage systems, and other. The blood culture screening devices segment can be bifurcated into automated blood culture systems and supporting laboratory equipment. PCR Instruments, Hematology Analyzers, NGS Platforms, Blood Grouping Analyzers are the sub-segments of the diagnostic & testing instruments segment. The blood storage devices segment can be further divided into medical refrigerators and medical freezers. The accessories segment can be sub-segmented into syringes & needles, vials & tubes, blood bags, and other. Blood culture media, blood typing reagents, slide staining reagents, assay kits, and other are the sub -segments of the reagents and kits segment. The software segment can be split into blood bank management software, transfusion management software, and others.
- Among all these, the instruments segment dominated the global market in 2019. Launch of technologically advanced products to smoothen the procedure of blood transfusion is a major factor boosting the market. In April 2019, Illinois-based Ecomed Solutions launched HEMAsavR, a blood management device that can be installed in operating theatres, to collect a patient’s lost blood during surgery and return it to their body.
Whole Blood & Red Blood Cells Segment to Dominate Global Patient Blood Management Market
- Based on components, the global patient blood management market can be divided into whole blood & red blood cells and plasma
- The whole blood & red blood cells segment dominated the market in 2019, in terms of revenue generation. Whole blood contains red cells, stable clotting factors, and volume in each unit that make it potentially beneficial in rapidly hemorrhaging patients.
- The World Health Organization has noted that road accidents are a major public health issue, as it injures about 50 million people a year, with 90% of such casualties occurring in developing countries.
Blood Banks Segment to Expand Significantly
- Based on end user, the global patient blood management market can be split into blood banks, hospitals and diagnostic clinics and & pathology labs
- The blood banks segment accounted for a notable share of the patient blood management market in 2019. The segment is projected to expand at a notable CAGR during the forecast period. This expansion is attributed to a rise in the demand for blood transfusion along with an increase in awareness about blood donations.
- Data reported to WHO shows significant increase of voluntary unpaid blood donations in low- and middle-income countries. An increase of 11.6 million blood donations from voluntary unpaid donors from 2008 to 2015 has been reported by 139 countries. The highest increase of voluntary unpaid blood donations has been witnessed the Southeast Asia (83%) and the Americas (70%).
North America is estimated to dominate the Global Patient Blood Management Market
- In terms of region, the global patient blood management market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- In terms of revenue, North America dominated the global patient blood management market followed by Europe. Increase demand for blood transfusion is a major factor that fuels the market. According to Community Blood Center, 4.5 million people in the U.S. are likely to need blood transfusion each year. According to WHO, of the 117.4 million blood donations collected globally, 42% of these are collected in high-income countries, home to 16% of the world’s population.
- However, the market in Asia Pacific is estimated to expand at a considerable CAGR between 2020 and 2030. As per WHO data, in low-income countries, up to 52% of blood transfusions are given to children under 5 years of age; while in high-income countries, the most frequently transfused patient group is over 65 years of age, accounting for up to 75% of all transfusions.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Market
The global patient blood management market was highly fragmented in 2019. Key manufacturers operating in the global market are:
- Haemonetics Corporation
- Fresenius Se & Co. KGaA
- Terumo Corporation
- Immucor, Inc.
- B. Braun Melsungen AG
- Biomérieux SA
- Asahi Kasei Medical Co. Ltd.
- Kaneka Corporation
- Bio-Rad Laboratories, Inc.
- Abbott Laboratories
- Grifols, S.A.
- F. Hoffmann-La Roche LTD.
- Livanova PLC
- Danaher Corporation
Patient Blood Management Market: Research Scope
Patient Blood Management Market, by Product
- Blood Processing Devices
- Blood Cell Processors
- Blood Transfusion Devices
- Apheresis Machines
- Plasma & Plasma Component Separators
- Cell Salvage Systems
- Blood Culture Screening Devices
- Automated Blood Culture Systems
- Supporting Laboratory Equipment
- Diagnostic & Testing Instruments
- PCR Instruments
- Hematology Analyzers
- NGS Platforms
- Blood Grouping Analyzers
- Blood Storage Devices
- Medical Refrigerators
- Medical Freezers
- Blood Processing Devices
- Syringes & Needles
- Vials & Tubes
- Blood Bags
- Reagents and Kits
- Blood Culture Media
- Blood Typing Reagents
- Slide Staining Reagents
- Assay Kits
- Blood Bank Management Software
- Transfusion Management Software
Patient Blood Management Market, by Component
- Whole Blood & Red Blood Cells
Patient Blood Management Market, by End-user
- Blood Banks
- Diagnostic Clinics and & Pathology Labs
Patient Blood Management Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.