Parasitology Testing Market: Introduction
- Medical parasitology includes mainly parasitic protozoa, helminths, and arthropods. Sometimes, infection caused by these can be life threatening. The incidences of parasitic diseases, such as chistosomiasis, malaria, etc., are increasing. This factor is driving the market for parasitology testing market growth.
- Parasites can be transmitted through various routes, including oral, skin, mucous membrane or sexual contact. Laboratory diagnosis includes characterization of parasites in feces, urine, sputum, body secretion, or blood sample. Computerized Axial Tomography scan, Endoscopy/Colonoscopy X-ray, Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) scan are also required to detect lesions in organs caused by parasitic organisms. According to the WHO, five major parasitic disease are schistosomiasis, malaria, filariasis, African trypanosomiasis, and leishmaniasis.
- In developing countries, due to lack of diagnostic tools, accurate and rapid diagnosis of parasitic diseases is severely compromised. Rapid test using smartphones with multiple built-in sensors offer cost-effective alternative to expensive diagnostic devices. This technique offers great potential for market growth.
Get an Idea about the Offerings of Our Parasitology Testing Market Report from this Brochure
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Parasitology Testing Market
- Increase in cases of chronic and infectious parasitic infections is driving the parasitology testing market. According to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), in 2017, approximately 219 million people were diagnosed with malaria. Of these, 435,000 were mortality cases in the African region. In the U.S., every year, 1,700 cases of malaria are registered.
- As per an article published by the University of California, an estimated 10,000,000 cases of leishmaniasis and 297,600,000 cases of amebiasis are registered every year. Moreover, cases of imported parasitic diseases are influenced by various factors, such as increased international travel, risky travel patterns, changes in the purpose of travel, increased parasitic disease transmission in certain areas, and rise in drug resistance of the parasite.
- Governments are also taking initiatives to spread awareness regarding various parasitic infections. Furthermore, government agencies are conducting campaigns for disease diagnosis or treatment in developing countries. In Japan, the Global Parasite Control Initiative was proposed and three research & training centers were established in 1998 by the Japan Government to control parasitic diseases.
- China, with the help of the National Malaria Control Programme, has already taken measures with a low cost investment to protect the country from malaria. Moreover, China and Africa have collaborated to control and eliminate malaria in the African region.
- Molecular-based identification methods are highly sensitive and specific. Major disadvantages of molecular techniques including RT PCR, MALDI-TOF, is high cost of devices. This limits its utility in developing countries. Thus, high cost of detection devices restricts market growth.
Microscopic Identification Segment to Witness High Growth
- Based on technique, the global parasitology testing market can be segmented into microscopic identification, molecular techniques, immunological techniques, rapid diagnostic tests (RDTs), and others
- Microscopic identification is the conventional parasite detection method . Parasites are being detected using microscopes from blood smears, feces, lymph node aspirates, tissue specimens or cerebrospinal fluid samples. However, sample preparation for observation under microscope is time consuming and labor intensive.
- Nowadays, molecular techniques, including RT-PCR, nucleic acid-based approach, Luminex xMAP technology or gene amplification-based methods are being employed to detect parasitic morphology to enhance identification and characterization of parasites
Parasite Detection from Fecal Specimen has Significant Growth Potential
- In terms of sample type, the global parasitology testing market can be divided into blood, urine, feces, cerebrospinal fluid (CSF), and others
- Infection of the gastrointestinal tract, including enteritis, diarrhea, and dysentery are majorly detected from fecal identification. The sample is processed either by the flotation technique or using the sedimentation technique. The specimen is appropriate for antigen detection testing with most of kits.
- EDI Fecal Ova/Parasite Concentration Kit offered by Epitope Diagnostics, Inc. detects parasites using microscopic examination from processed and concentrated stool samples. RTA Entamoeba histolytica-dispar-moshkovskii Multiplex Real-Time PCR Kit, manufactured by Rtalabs, is another parasite detection kit using fecal identification through Real-Time PCR device.
- Few parasitic infections can also be detected from blood specimen. Two major types of blood tests for parasite detection are serology test and blood smear test. Malaria, lymphatic filariasis, and Toxoplasmosis can be detected from blood samples. Alere Malaria Ag P.f test, offered by Abbott, detects Plasmodium falciparum HRP-II antigen using rapid diagnostic tests.
Hospitals Segment to Lead Global Market
- Based on end-user, the global parasitology testing market can be classified into hospitals,clinics, diagnostic centers, and ambulatory surgical centers
- Hospitals can rapidly identify life threatening parasitic infections. Along with blood test, and fecal identification, few other detection techniques such as MRI and endoscopy can also be performed in hospitals for parasite testing.
- A diagnostic center offers a wide scope for detection of parasite and affords facilities for a detailed medical check-up through diagnostic procedures. These are well equipped with most modern instruments. Thus, diagnostic center constitutes an important part of the health care system.
Expanding Operations in Future? To Get the Perfect Launch Ask for a Custom Parasitology Testing Market Report
Parasitology Testing Market in Asia Pacific to Grow Rapidly
- In terms of region, the global parasitology testing market can be segregated into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is likely to witness the maximum demand for parasitology testing market from 2019 to 2027. Major manufacturers are continuously investing in research and development activities in the region due to increasing incidences of parasitic infection.
- In November 2018, bioMérieux SA acquired Suzhou Hybiome Biomedical Engineering Co. Ltd. to increase its presence in the China immunoassay market. With this acquisition, automated immunoassay solutions offered by the company will be available to more healthcare professionals in China.
- Investments by government bodies or organizations are also boosting market growth in the region. In 2015, in collaboration with 18 countries, the Asia Pacific Malaria Elimination Network (APMEN) committed to eliminating malaria from the region.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Market
The global parasitology testing market was highly fragmented in 2018. Key manufacturers operating in the global market are:
- Hardy Diagnostics
- TECHLAB, Inc.
- Thermo Fisher Scientific
- Alpha-Tec Systems
- Medical Chemical Corporation (MCC)
- Creative Diagnostics
- Diagnostic Automation/Cortez Diagnostics Inc.
- Advy Chemical Pvt. Ltd
- R-Biopharm AG
- Meridian Bioscience
- ARKRAY, Inc.
- Tulip Diagnostics
Global Parasitology Testing Market: Research Scope
Global Parasitology Testing Market, by Technique
- Microscopic Identification
- Molecular Techniques
- Immunological Techniques
- Heamagglutination Assay
- Rapid Diagnostic tests (RDTs)
Global Parasitology Testing Market, by Sample Type
- Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF)
Global Parasitology Testing Market, by Product Type
- Mass Spectrometers
- Flow Cytometers
Global Parasitology Testing Market, by Pathogen Type
Global Parasitology Testing Market, by End-user
- Diagnostic Centers
- Ambulatory Surgical Centers
Global Parasitology Testing Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.