Paint Defoamers Market: Additive that eliminate foam
- Defoamer for paint and coatings is an additive that eliminates foam during application of paint and contributes to achieve even coating that is free from defects. Foam present in the paints is known to cause coating flaws such as fisheyes, popping, cratering, and depressions. Therefore, it is important for defoamers used in paint and coatings (or ink) to eliminate these defects while offering defoaming properties.
- It is virtually impossible to escape the occurrence of potential foam stabilizing substances in coatings systems, and hence, defoamers are employed to avoid the formation of foam and/or to destroy (as rapidly as possible) foam that has already been formed.
- A defoamer decreases and restricts the development of foam, a matter generated due to the trapping of gas in a liquid or solid, such as paints and coatings. Defoamers display surface active properties and are not soluble in a foaming medium. An important characteristic of a defoamer is its low viscosity and ability to disperse rapidly on foamy surfaces.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive Report Brochure here
Key drivers of paint defoamers market
- Significant expansion of the paints & coatings industry, owing to a shift in the demand toward decorative paints, is expected boost the demand for paint defoamers in near future. Expansion of the paints & coatings sector at a high growth rate is primarily characterized by the booming automotive industry across the world coupled with expansion of the construction sector across the globe.
- Technological advancements and innovations in material sciences and monitoring the performance of defoamers have driven its use in paints & coatings applications.
- VOC-free defoamers act as a major substitute and an economical alternative to different mineral oil defoamers. In 2017, a leading coating additives supplier, BYK Additives & Instruments, launched a new products BYK-1788 and BYK-1799 anti-foam solutions useful for coating systems for UV-radiation curing.
Silicone defoamers segment to offer attractive opportunities
- Rising preference for water-borne paints and coatings among consumers, instead of oil based paints and coatings, is expected to provide lucrative opportunities for the use of silicone defoamers in the paint and coatings industry.
- Silicone defoamers are extensively utilized in modern waterborne coatings and printing inks, owing to the anti-foaming characteristics of defoamers, which in turn is expected to propel the demand for silicone defoamers during the forecast period. Silicone anti-foam exhibits various properties such as remarkable reactivity with various process ingredients, longer operational lifespan, and high insolubility, thus offering high quality surface finish. Consequently, this product is extensively used in the paints & coatings industry. Additionally, silicone defoamers have lower surface tension, as compared to that of other organic products, which helps the paints to spread more.
- Increasing applications of silicone defoamers in paints and coatings is expected to propel the global paints defoamers market. However, use of non-silicone defoamers in the paints industry is increasing as they are less toxic and biodegradable. Cumulatively, these developments are boosting the global paint defoamers market.
Intense competition from counterparts and stringent regulations to hamper market
- However, stringent regulations have been imposed on the use of defoamers, specifically containing volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Moreover, issues pertaining to health, which may be amplified by the use of certain defoamers, is likely to hamper the global paint defoamers market.
- Stringent policies and regulations laid down by governments on the use of silicone defoamers in paints and coatings applications and the availability of internal substitutes, such as oil-based defoamers, water-based defoamers and other types of defoamers, are expected to restrain the silicone defoamer segment of the market to some extent in the near future.
Asia Pacific expected to hold significant share in the global paint defoamers market
- In terms of region, the global paint defoamers market can be split into five regions: North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa.
- Asia Pacific is a leading consumer of paint defoamers, followed by Europe and North America. Rising demand for automotive coatings in Germany, the U.S., China, Japan, and South Korea is expected to fuel the demand for paint defoamers during the forecast period. Moreover, rising demand for nitrocellulose-based lacquers in the building & construction industry across developing countries in Asia Pacific, such as China, India, Indonesia, and Vietnam, is expected to offer significant opportunity to the manufacturers of paint defoamers operating in the region.
- Asia Pacific is a prominent market for paint defoamers, globally. Water-based anti-foaming agents are increasingly being preferred, as compared to silicone-based defoamers, in the emerging markets, since they are cost-effective and have high de-aerating effect. Rising demand for defoamers for paints, in emerging economies in Asia Pacific, such as China, is attributed to the rapid pace of industrialization in these countries. Stringent regulatory requirements against the use of VOC in paints and additives have driven the demand for environmental-friendly defoamers in North America and Europe.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on competition on Paint Defoamers Market here
Key players operating in the Paint Defoamers Market
The global paint defoamers market is fairly fragmented with a handful established companies competing with numerous smaller ones. Demand within paint defoamers market is highly concentrated with top manufacturers accounting for approximately 20% to 25% of the market. Key players operating in the paint defoamers market include
- Evonik Industries AG
- BYK Additives & Instruments
- Elementis PLC
- Dow Corning Corporation
- BASF SE
- Lubrizol Corporation
- Arkema Group
- SAN NOPCO LIMITED
- Air Products and Chemicals, Inc.
Global Paint Defoamers Market: Research Scope
Global Paint Defoamers Market, by Product Type
- Oil-based Defoamer
- Silicone-based Defoamer
- Water-based Defoamer
- Mineral-based Defoamers
Global Paint Defoamers Market, by Application
- Wood and Furniture
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.