Global Oral Rehydration Salt (ORS) Market: Overview
- Oral rehydration salt (ORS) is a glucose-based salt solution used for oral rehydration therapy, which is recommended by the United Nations Children's Fund and the World Health Organization (WHO) for use in the treatment or prevention of dehydration caused by diarrhea
- Oral rehydration salt (ORS) solution contains 75 mmol/l of glucose and 75 mEq/l of sodium with osmolarity of 245 mOsm/l
- Vomiting, high blood potassium, and high blood sodium are side-effects of the oral rehydration salt (ORS) therapy
Key Drivers of Global Oral Rehydration Salt (ORS) Market
- In the near future, the global oral rehydration salt (ORS) market is expected to be driven by increase in the prevalence of diarrhea, rise in the demand for the oral rehydration salt (ORS) therapy in developing countries such as India, and growth in awareness about the hydration therapy
- According to the WHO, diarrhea affects nearly 525,000 children every year and it is the second-largest cause of death among children aged 5 years or below. The organization also states that approximately 1.7 billion cases of childhood diarrhea are detected every year.
- As per the Global Burden of Diseases, Injuries, and Risk Factors Study (GBD) – 2016, diarrhea was the eighth-largest cause of death among people of all ages
Are you a Start-up willing to make it Big in the Business? Grab an Exclusive PDF Brochure of Report
Powder Segment to Hold a Significant Share of Global Oral Rehydration Salt (ORS) Market
- Based on product, the global oral rehydration salt (ORS) market can be classified into tablets, powder, capsules, and others
- The powder segment is anticipated to gain a significant share of the global oral rehydration salt (ORS) market during the forecast period, due to increase in the number of patients or consumers preferring powder and rise in the adoption of promotional campaigns to increase use of oral rehydration solutions, especially among children. The ORS powder comes in various flavors, such as orange, which drives its use among children.
Pediatric Segment to Witness Significant Growth in Global Oral Rehydration Salt (ORS) Market
- Based on age group, the global oral rehydration salt (ORS) market can be classified into adult and pediatric. The pediatric segment accounts for a leading market share, owing to increase in the demand for oral rehydration salt (ORS) for use in the treatment of diarrhea and rise in the prevalence of malnutrition among children worldwide.
- According to the BMC Public Health, the burden of malnutrition doubled in South Africa from August 2017 to December 2017, leading to negative health outcomes among children
- As per the data by UNICEF, 13% of children in South Africa aged five years or below are overweight, while 27% face stunted growth
Diarrhea Segment to Witness Significant Growth in Global Oral Rehydration Salt (ORS) Market
- Based on indication, the global oral rehydration salt (ORS) market can be classified into diarrhea and others
- The diarrhea segment is anticipated to gain significant share of the global oral rehydration salt (ORS) market during the forecast period. Increase in the number of government agencies framing policies and guidelines for the prevention and treatment of diarrhea and rise in the use of hydration solutions among adults and children are factors likely to drive the segment during the forecast period.
- Furthermore, rise in availability of the oral rehydration salt (ORS) therapy, especially in rural and remote areas across the globe, and need to expand coverage of this therapy in Middle East & North Africa (MENA) and sub-Saharan Africa are other factors likely to boost the diarrhea segment in the next few years
Asia Pacific Oral Rehydration Salt (ORS) Market to Witness Growth Opportunities
- Asia Pacific is projected to gain significant share of the global oral rehydration salt (ORS) market during the forecast period
- Rise in the focus on malnutrition among children, increase in the number of non-government organizations working for child health, and high investments in children healthcare programs in countries such as India are factors expected to drive the global oral rehydration salt (ORS) market during the forecast period
- As per the UNICEF, rates of prevalence of malnutrition remain exponentially high, with 50% of all deaths in children aged 5 years or below attributable to undernutrition. According to estimates made by the UNICEF/WHO/World Bank Joint Child Malnutrition, in March 2019, 149.0 million children had stunted growth, while nearly 49.0 million children were wasted.
Looking for Regional Analysis or Competitive Landscape, Ask for a Customized Report
Key Players Operating in Global Oral Rehydration Salt (ORS) Market
Major players operating in the global oral rehydration salt (ORS) market are:
- Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co. Ltd
- Monico SPA
- Gebro Pharma AG
- Primmed B.V.
- KBI Pharmaceuticals GmbH & Co. KG
- Clinova Ltd
- FDC Limited
- Watson Pharma
- Sanofi S.A.
Global Oral Rehydration Salt (ORS) Market: Research Scope
Global Oral Rehydration Salt (ORS) Market, by Product
Global Oral Rehydration Salt (ORS) Market, by Indication
Global Oral Rehydration Salt (ORS) Market, by Age Group
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.