Global Oral Rehydration Salt (ORS) Market: Overview
- Oral rehydration salt (ORS) is a glucose-based salt solution used for oral rehydration therapy, which is recommended by the United Nations Children's Fund and the World Health Organization (WHO) for use in the treatment or prevention of dehydration caused by diarrhea
- Oral rehydration salt (ORS) solution contains 75 mmol/l of glucose and 75 mEq/l of sodium with osmolarity of 245 mOsm/l
- Vomiting, high blood potassium, and high blood sodium are side-effects of the oral rehydration salt (ORS) therapy
Key Drivers of Global Oral Rehydration Salt (ORS) Market
- In the near future, the global oral rehydration salt (ORS) market is expected to be driven by increase in the prevalence of diarrhea, rise in the demand for the oral rehydration salt (ORS) therapy in developing countries such as India, and growth in awareness about the hydration therapy
- According to the WHO, diarrhea affects nearly 525,000 children every year and it is the second-largest cause of death among children aged 5 years or below. The organization also states that approximately 1.7 billion cases of childhood diarrhea are detected every year.
- As per the Global Burden of Diseases, Injuries, and Risk Factors Study (GBD) – 2016, diarrhea was the eighth-largest cause of death among people of all ages
Are you a Start-up willing to make it Big in the Business? Grab an Exclusive PDF Brochure of Report
Powder Segment to Hold a Significant Share of Global Oral Rehydration Salt (ORS) Market
- Based on product, the global oral rehydration salt (ORS) market can be classified into tablets, powder, capsules, and others
- The powder segment is anticipated to gain a significant share of the global oral rehydration salt (ORS) market during the forecast period, due to increase in the number of patients or consumers preferring powder and rise in the adoption of promotional campaigns to increase use of oral rehydration solutions, especially among children. The ORS powder comes in various flavors, such as orange, which drives its use among children.
Pediatric Segment to Witness Significant Growth in Global Oral Rehydration Salt (ORS) Market
- Based on age group, the global oral rehydration salt (ORS) market can be classified into adult and pediatric. The pediatric segment accounts for a leading market share, owing to increase in the demand for oral rehydration salt (ORS) for use in the treatment of diarrhea and rise in the prevalence of malnutrition among children worldwide.
- According to the BMC Public Health, the burden of malnutrition doubled in South Africa from August 2017 to December 2017, leading to negative health outcomes among children
- As per the data by UNICEF, 13% of children in South Africa aged five years or below are overweight, while 27% face stunted growth
Diarrhea Segment to Witness Significant Growth in Global Oral Rehydration Salt (ORS) Market
- Based on indication, the global oral rehydration salt (ORS) market can be classified into diarrhea and others
- The diarrhea segment is anticipated to gain significant share of the global oral rehydration salt (ORS) market during the forecast period. Increase in the number of government agencies framing policies and guidelines for the prevention and treatment of diarrhea and rise in the use of hydration solutions among adults and children are factors likely to drive the segment during the forecast period.
- Furthermore, rise in availability of the oral rehydration salt (ORS) therapy, especially in rural and remote areas across the globe, and need to expand coverage of this therapy in Middle East & North Africa (MENA) and sub-Saharan Africa are other factors likely to boost the diarrhea segment in the next few years
Asia Pacific Oral Rehydration Salt (ORS) Market to Witness Growth Opportunities
- Asia Pacific is projected to gain significant share of the global oral rehydration salt (ORS) market during the forecast period
- Rise in the focus on malnutrition among children, increase in the number of non-government organizations working for child health, and high investments in children healthcare programs in countries such as India are factors expected to drive the global oral rehydration salt (ORS) market during the forecast period
- As per the UNICEF, rates of prevalence of malnutrition remain exponentially high, with 50% of all deaths in children aged 5 years or below attributable to undernutrition. According to estimates made by the UNICEF/WHO/World Bank Joint Child Malnutrition, in March 2019, 149.0 million children had stunted growth, while nearly 49.0 million children were wasted.
Looking for Regional Analysis or Competitive Landscape, Ask for a Customized Report
Key Players Operating in Global Oral Rehydration Salt (ORS) Market
Major players operating in the global oral rehydration salt (ORS) market are:
- Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co. Ltd
- Monico SPA
- Gebro Pharma AG
- Primmed B.V.
- KBI Pharmaceuticals GmbH & Co. KG
- Clinova Ltd
- FDC Limited
- Watson Pharma
- Sanofi S.A.
Global Oral Rehydration Salt (ORS) Market: Research Scope
Global Oral Rehydration Salt (ORS) Market, by Product
Global Oral Rehydration Salt (ORS) Market, by Indication
Global Oral Rehydration Salt (ORS) Market, by Age Group
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.