Opioid Antagonist: Introduction
- Opioid antagonists are drugs that are used to block the effects of opioids. Opioid antagonists block one or more of opioid receptors in either the central or peripheral nervous system. Thus, they block the overall activity of opioid.
- Opioid antagonists hold promising potential to reverse the life threatening toxic effects of overdosage of opioids. These are widely used in palliative care for the treatment of opioid-induced constipation.
- Naloxone, naltrexone, and Nalgene are the commonly used opioid antagonists across the globe
- Opioid antagonist is considered an ideal medication to deal with opioid medication crisis in most of the developed countries. It is a proven medication that saves the life of a patient addicted to opioids.
Opioid Antagonist Market: Key Drivers
- Emergence of the opioid epidemic is one of the prominent factors driving the global opioid antagonists market. The opioid epidemic refers to rise in number of deaths and hospitalization due to overdosage of opioids (including prescriptions, illicit drugs, and analogs). For instance, according to the U.S.-based National Institute on Drug Abuse, every day around 128 people died due to overdosage of opioids in the country in 2018. Addiction to and misuse of opioids including pain-reliever opioids, heroin, and synthetic opioids lead to significant crisis on social, economic, and public health.
- Opioids are commonly prescribed for underlying causes of chronic pain such as cancer, trauma and injury cases, post-operative pain, and arthritis disorders. This is also estimated to indirectly drive the market during the forecast period.
- Large number of drugs in clinical trials, new product development and commercialization, and regulatory guidelines to minimize the opioid crisis are factors projected to augment the market during the forecast period
To gauge the scope of customization in our reports, Ask for a Sample
Mu Opioid Receptor Segment to Dominate Global Market
- In terms of opioid receptor, the global opioid antagonist market can be classified into mu receptor, kappa receptor, delta receptor, and others. The mu receptor segment is projected to dominate the global market during the forecast period.
- Opioid receptors play a crucial role in expressing pain transmission and signal pathway modulation including neurotransmission in limbs, midbrain, spinal cord, and thalamus
- Majority of opioid receptors belong to the mu receptor class and have minimum side-effects compared to other opioid receptors
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report
Centrally Acting Opioid Receptors Mechanism of Action Segment to be Highly Attractive
- In terms of mechanism of action, the global market can be segmented into centrally acting opioid receptors and peripherally acting opioid receptors. The centrally acting opioid receptor segment is estimated to create lucrative opportunities during the forecast period.
- Naloxone is a commonly used centrally acting opioid receptor. It has the highest affinity for the mu receptor.
Parenteral Route of Administration Segment Projected to Lead Global Market
- In terms of route of administration, the global market can be divided into oral route, parenteral route, nasal route, and transdermal patch. The parenteral route segment is estimated to dominate the global market during the forecast period.
- Parenteral route of administration is commonly used to maintain long-lasting effect of opioid antagonist. It is widely used in patients with severe adverse effects of opioids.
Pain Application Segment to Offer Lucrative Opportunities in Global Market
- In terms of application, the global market can be segregated into pain, addiction treatment, opioid induced constipation, and others. The pain segment is projected to offer lucrative opportunities to new players planning to enter the market.
- High prevalence of chronic pain due to various medical conditions and trauma cases across the globe is estimated to fuel the demand for opioid antagonists in the near future
Retail Pharmacies Distribution Channel to be Highly Attractive Segment
- Based on distribution channel, the global opioid antagonist market can be classified into hospital pharmacies, retail pharmacies, and E-commerce. The retail pharmacies segment is projected to dominate the global market during the forecast period.
- Presence of large numbers of retail pharmacy stores, easy availability and accessibility of opioid antagonists at these stores, and low cost are factors that are estimated to drive the retail pharmacies segment in the near future
Asia Pacific Opioid Antagonists Market to Expand Rapidly
- In terms of region, the global opioid antagonists market can be split into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America is likely to dominate the global market during the forecast period. High prevalence of chronic pain; rise in number of hospitalizations due to chronic disorders, especially trauma and cancer cases; and opioid crisis in the U.S. are factors likely to boost the market in the region during the forecast period
- According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), approximately 50 million adults in the U.S. suffered from chronic pain and around 19.6 million adults were afflicted with high-impact chronic pain in 2016
- The opioid antagonist market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to expand at the highest CAGR during the forecast period. Rapid growth of the market in the region can be ascribed to increase in number of hospitals and ambulatory surgery centers, high prevalence of chronic pain, and improvement in health care infrastructure in the region.
- High growth rate of the health care industry, easy access to health care facilities, and increase in investments in health care by leading players in Asia Pacific are expected to fuel the market in the region in the near future
Key Players Operating in Global Opioid Antagonist Market
- The global opioid antagonist market is fragmented, with large number of global players holding majority market share. Key players operating in the global opioid antagonist market include:
- Purdue Pharma L.P.
- Indivior UK Limited.
- Reckitt Benckiser Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Allergan plc.
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
- Mylan N.V.
- ADAPT Pharma, Inc.
- kaleo, Inc.
- Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals.
Global Opioid Antagonist Market: Research Scope
Global Opioid Antagonist Market, by Opioid Receptor
- Mu Receptor
- Kappa Receptor
- Delta Receptor
Global Opioid Antagonist Market, by Mechanism of Action
- Centrally Acting Opioid Antagonist
- Peripherally Acting Opioid Antagonist
Global Opioid Antagonist Market, by Route of Administration
- Transdermal Patch
Global Opioid Antagonist Market, by Application
- Addiction Treatment
- Opioid-induced Constipation
Global Opioid Antagonist Market, by Distribution Channel
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies
- Online Pharmacies
Global Opioid Antagonist Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.