Opioid Antagonist: Introduction
- Opioid antagonists are drugs that are used to block the effects of opioids. Opioid antagonists block one or more of opioid receptors in either the central or peripheral nervous system. Thus, they block the overall activity of opioid.
- Opioid antagonists hold promising potential to reverse the life threatening toxic effects of overdosage of opioids. These are widely used in palliative care for the treatment of opioid-induced constipation.
- Naloxone, naltrexone, and Nalgene are the commonly used opioid antagonists across the globe
- Opioid antagonist is considered an ideal medication to deal with opioid medication crisis in most of the developed countries. It is a proven medication that saves the life of a patient addicted to opioids.
Opioid Antagonist Market: Key Drivers
- Emergence of the opioid epidemic is one of the prominent factors driving the global opioid antagonists market. The opioid epidemic refers to rise in number of deaths and hospitalization due to overdosage of opioids (including prescriptions, illicit drugs, and analogs). For instance, according to the U.S.-based National Institute on Drug Abuse, every day around 128 people died due to overdosage of opioids in the country in 2018. Addiction to and misuse of opioids including pain-reliever opioids, heroin, and synthetic opioids lead to significant crisis on social, economic, and public health.
- Opioids are commonly prescribed for underlying causes of chronic pain such as cancer, trauma and injury cases, post-operative pain, and arthritis disorders. This is also estimated to indirectly drive the market during the forecast period.
- Large number of drugs in clinical trials, new product development and commercialization, and regulatory guidelines to minimize the opioid crisis are factors projected to augment the market during the forecast period
Mu Opioid Receptor Segment to Dominate Global Market
- In terms of opioid receptor, the global opioid antagonist market can be classified into mu receptor, kappa receptor, delta receptor, and others. The mu receptor segment is projected to dominate the global market during the forecast period.
- Opioid receptors play a crucial role in expressing pain transmission and signal pathway modulation including neurotransmission in limbs, midbrain, spinal cord, and thalamus
- Majority of opioid receptors belong to the mu receptor class and have minimum side-effects compared to other opioid receptors
Centrally Acting Opioid Receptors Mechanism of Action Segment to be Highly Attractive
- In terms of mechanism of action, the global market can be segmented into centrally acting opioid receptors and peripherally acting opioid receptors. The centrally acting opioid receptor segment is estimated to create lucrative opportunities during the forecast period.
- Naloxone is a commonly used centrally acting opioid receptor. It has the highest affinity for the mu receptor.
Parenteral Route of Administration Segment Projected to Lead Global Market
- In terms of route of administration, the global market can be divided into oral route, parenteral route, nasal route, and transdermal patch. The parenteral route segment is estimated to dominate the global market during the forecast period.
- Parenteral route of administration is commonly used to maintain long-lasting effect of opioid antagonist. It is widely used in patients with severe adverse effects of opioids.
Pain Application Segment to Offer Lucrative Opportunities in Global Market
- In terms of application, the global market can be segregated into pain, addiction treatment, opioid induced constipation, and others. The pain segment is projected to offer lucrative opportunities to new players planning to enter the market.
- High prevalence of chronic pain due to various medical conditions and trauma cases across the globe is estimated to fuel the demand for opioid antagonists in the near future
Retail Pharmacies Distribution Channel to be Highly Attractive Segment
- Based on distribution channel, the global opioid antagonist market can be classified into hospital pharmacies, retail pharmacies, and E-commerce. The retail pharmacies segment is projected to dominate the global market during the forecast period.
- Presence of large numbers of retail pharmacy stores, easy availability and accessibility of opioid antagonists at these stores, and low cost are factors that are estimated to drive the retail pharmacies segment in the near future
Asia Pacific Opioid Antagonists Market to Expand Rapidly
- In terms of region, the global opioid antagonists market can be split into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America is likely to dominate the global market during the forecast period. High prevalence of chronic pain; rise in number of hospitalizations due to chronic disorders, especially trauma and cancer cases; and opioid crisis in the U.S. are factors likely to boost the market in the region during the forecast period
- According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), approximately 50 million adults in the U.S. suffered from chronic pain and around 19.6 million adults were afflicted with high-impact chronic pain in 2016
- The opioid antagonist market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to expand at the highest CAGR during the forecast period. Rapid growth of the market in the region can be ascribed to increase in number of hospitals and ambulatory surgery centers, high prevalence of chronic pain, and improvement in health care infrastructure in the region.
- High growth rate of the health care industry, easy access to health care facilities, and increase in investments in health care by leading players in Asia Pacific are expected to fuel the market in the region in the near future
Key Players Operating in Global Opioid Antagonist Market
- The global opioid antagonist market is fragmented, with large number of global players holding majority market share. Key players operating in the global opioid antagonist market include:
- Purdue Pharma L.P.
- Indivior UK Limited.
- Reckitt Benckiser Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Allergan plc.
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
- Mylan N.V.
- ADAPT Pharma, Inc.
- kaleo, Inc.
- Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals.
Global Opioid Antagonist Market: Research Scope
Global Opioid Antagonist Market, by Opioid Receptor
- Mu Receptor
- Kappa Receptor
- Delta Receptor
Global Opioid Antagonist Market, by Mechanism of Action
- Centrally Acting Opioid Antagonist
- Peripherally Acting Opioid Antagonist
Global Opioid Antagonist Market, by Route of Administration
- Transdermal Patch
Global Opioid Antagonist Market, by Application
- Addiction Treatment
- Opioid-induced Constipation
Global Opioid Antagonist Market, by Distribution Channel
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies
- Online Pharmacies
Global Opioid Antagonist Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!