OCT Ophthalmoscopes: Promising New Approach to OCT Imaging of Retina
- OCT ophthalmoscope is a device used in optical coherence tomography (OCT) for examining the interior of the human eye by means of a beam of light, which illuminates otherwise invisible tissues
- OCT ophthalmoscope performs cross-sectional OCT imaging with a wider scanning field and better resolution compared to the Humphrey OCT
- It can generate three-dimensional views of the retina, with a point-by-point correspondence to the confocal image, which has paramount importance in ophthalmology studies and complications
- Distinct advantages of OCT ophthalmoscopes over currently available commercial systems include performing multi-depth coronal sections (C scans) with superior resolution, wider coronal scanning strategy, and three-dimensional capabilities. Because of this, details missed by the Humphrey OCT can be easily picked up with the OCT ophthalmoscope.
Are you a Start-up willing to make it Big in the Business? Grab an Exclusive PDF Brochure of OCT Ophthalmoscopes Market Report
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global OCT Ophthalmoscopes Market
- Rise in prevalence of ophthalmological disorders such as retinal vascular diseases, glaucoma, and macular degeneration is the major factor boosting the growth of the global OCT ophthalmoscopes market
- According to the Glaucoma Research Foundation, the total number of suspected cases of glaucoma were over 60 million globally in 2010 and it is projected to reach around 80 million by the end of 2020
- Technological advancements in terms of novel approaches for diagnosis of ophthalmological diseases and rise in prevalence of chronic diseases such as diabetes, which can cause eye complications or disorders, are the other factors fueling the growth of the global OCT ophthalmoscopes market
- Moreover, rise in awareness about eye care and various awareness campaigns drive the global OCT ophthalmoscopes market
Shortage of Skilled Personnel with Expertise in Ophthalmic Surgery Hampers Market Growth
- Ophthalmic equipment is key for the delivery of quality eye care at a reasonable cost. However, the cost of ophthalmic devices as well as the service and its maintenance are high. This could hamper market growth.
- Lack of skilled personnel to operate OCT ophthalmoscope and expertise in ophthalmic surgery also restrains the market
Fixed OCT Ophthalmoscopes to be Dominant Segment
- Based on product type, the global OCT ophthalmoscopes market can be bifurcated into fixed OCT ophthalmoscopes and mobile OCT ophthalmoscopes
- The fixed OCT ophthalmoscopes segment accounted for major share of the global market in 2019 owing to availability of fixed products at major hospitals and research centers
- Mobile OCT ophthalmoscopes is anticipated to be a more lucrative segment in the next few years due to portability, easy access, and favorable reimbursement scenario
Specialty Clinics to be More Promising Segment
- In terms of end-user, the global OCT ophthalmoscopes market can be divided into hospitals, ophthalmic clinics, and others
- The hospitals segment dominated the global market during the forecast period owing to increase in number of patients opting for treatment at hospitals supported by reimbursement programs and availability of advanced medical devices at these hospitals
- Ophthalmic clinics is expected to be a more promising segment during the forecast period due to increase in number of clinics for ophthalmologic problems, availability of well-equipped staff, and launch of various awareness campaigns.
Stuck in a Neck-to-Neck Competition with Other Brands? Request a Custom Report on “OCT Ophthalmoscopes Market” here
North America to Lead Global OCT Ophthalmoscopes Market
- In terms of region, the global OCT ophthalmoscopes market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America dominated the global OCT ophthalmoscopes market in 2019 due to higher prevalence of ophthalmic disorders, favorable reimbursement scenario, and early adoption of advanced products
- According to the Glaucoma Research Foundation, an estimated 3 million people had glaucoma in the U.S. in 2017 and around 50% of this population knew about their disease
- Asia Pacific is likely to be a highly attractive market during the forecast period owing to increase in geriatric population, which is more prone to ophthalmic disorders, rise in awareness about ophthalmic diseases, and improvement in health care infrastructure
Key Players Operating in Global OCT Ophthalmoscopes Market
Key players operating in the global market are:
- Carl Zeiss AG
- Heidelberg Engineering
- OPKO Health, Inc.
- Optovue, Inc.
- Sonostar Technologies Co. Limited
- Huvitz Co. Ltd.
- Canon Medical Systems Europe B.V.
- OPTOPOL Technology Sp. z o.o.
- Rowiak GmbH
Global OCT Ophthalmoscopes Market: Research Scope
Global OCT Ophthalmoscopes Market, by Product Type
- Fixed OCT Ophthalmoscopes
- Mobile OCT Ophthalmoscopes
Global OCT Ophthalmoscopes Market, by End-user
- Ophthalmic Clinics
Global OCT Ophthalmoscopes Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note:Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.