Nosocomial Infection Treatment Market: Introduction
- Nosocomial infection is termed as infection caused within 48 hours of hospital admission. Hence, it is also known as hospital-acquired infection. Patients in intensive care units (ICU) are more prone to hospital-acquired infections.
- About 90% hospital-acquired infections are bacterial infections. E. coli, P. aeruginosa, and S. aureus are the most common bacteria responsible for urinary and respiratory tract infections, wound, kidney, and blood infection. Excessive and misuse of antibiotics has led to increase in number of nosocomial infections.
Key Drivers and Opportunities of Global Nosocomial Infection Treatment Market
- Increase in incidence of hospital-acquired infections is projected to boost the growth of the global nosocomial infection treatment market. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, an estimated 1.7 million infections and 99,000 deaths occur due to healthcare-acquired infections in hospitals in the U.S. each year.
- Moreover, rise in prevalence of nosocomial infections such as urinary tract infection, tuberculosis, surgical wound infection, and respiratory tract infection is anticipated to fuel the growth of the global market. According to the Pharmacotherapy Self-Assessment Program: Hematology/Oncology, approximately 60% of women have symptomatic UTI during their lifetime and in the U.S., around 10% women have one or more than one UTI episodes each year. According to the World Health Organization, globally, an estimated 10 million people fell ill with tuberculosis in 2018. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, around 157,500 surgical site infections are reported in the U.S. each year.
Are you a Start-up willing to make it Big in the Business? Grab an Exclusive PDF Brochure of Nosocomial Infection Treatment Market Report
- Antibiotics are the most commonly prescribed treatments for nosocomial infections. Excessive use of antibiotics leads to microbial antibiotic resistance. Hence, development of new antibiotics is underway in order to overcome multiple drug resistance. For instance, in July 2019, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved the antibacterial drug, Recarbrio, for the treatment of complicated UTIs and complicated intra-abdominal infection in adults.
- In February 2018, Allergan received the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approval for New Drug Application of Avycaz. The drug was approved for the treatment of patients with ventilator-associated bacterial pneumonia and hospital-acquired bacterial pneumonia.
- Increase in demand for new antibiotics for effective therapy presents considerable opportunity to manufacturers in the market
- Rise in prevalence of nosocomial infections in developing countries creates lucrative opportunities in the global market. According to the Second Australian Atlas of Healthcare Variation, an estimated 73,777 hospitalizations for kidney and urinary tract infections were reported in Australia in 2014–2015.
North America to Capture Major Share of Global Nosocomial Infection Treatment Market
- North America is expected to account for major share of the global nosocomial infection treatment market during the forecast period due to presence of key players and product launch & approvals. Moreover, rise in prevalence of nosocomial infections is likely to fuel the growth of the market in the region. According to the American Urology Association, the estimated incidence of UTI is 0.5 to 0.7 per person per year in premenopausal women in the U.S.
- The nosocomial infection treatment market in Asia Pacific is expected to grow at a rapid pace during the forecast period due to increase in awareness and surge in geriatric population.
Looking for Regional Analysis or Competitive Landscape in Nosocomial Infection Treatment Market, Ask for a Customized Report
Key Players Operating in Global Nosocomial Infection Treatment Market
The global nosocomial infection treatment market is highly consolidated due to the presence of key players. A large number of manufacturers hold major share in their respective regions. Growth strategies adopted by key players are likely fuel the growth of the global market. For instance, in July 2018, Nabriva Therapeutics plc acquired Zavante Therapeutics. This acquisition enabled the company to strengthen its leading positioning and develop new anti-infectives.
Major players operating in the global nosocomial infection treatment market are:
- Pfizer, Inc.
- Bayer AG
- GlaxoSmithKline plc
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
- Almirall, S.A.
- Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp. (Merck & Co., Inc.)
- Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd.
- Lupin Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Johnson & Johnson's (Janssen Global Services, LLC)
Global Nosocomial Infection Treatment Market: Research Scope
Global Nosocomial Infection Treatment Market, by Drug Class
Global Nosocomial Infection Treatment Market, by Type of Infection
- Ventilator-associated Pneumonia
- Urinary Tract Infection
- Legionnaires’ Disease
- Surgical Wound Infection
- Lower Respiratory Tract Infection
- Surgical Site Infections
Global Nosocomial Infection Treatment Market, by Infectious Agent
Global Nosocomial Infection Treatment Market, by Distribution Channel
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies
- Online Pharmacies
Global Nosocomial Infection Treatment Market, by Region
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.