Non-invasive prenatal testing is gradually being accepted by pregnant women with high-risk for screening common fetal chromosomal aneuploidies such as Edward’s syndrome (trisomy 18), Down syndrome (trisomy 21), Turner syndrome (monosomy X) and Patau syndrome (trisomy 13). Accuracy, safety, and non-invasiveness are the key factors credited to the acceptance of these tests amongst gynecologists and expecting mothers related to invasive tests such as amniocentesis and chorionic villus sampling (CVS). MaterniT21 was the first NIPT introduced in October 2011 by Sequenom, Inc. of the U.S. Since then, it has been the leader of the market, accounting for the biggest share in terms of volume as well as revenue. However, BGI’s NIFTY is likely to overtake MaterniT21 PLUS in terms of volume in the global market. Sequenom, Inc. is likely to maintain its leadership position in North America through 2024. Panorama, verifi, informaSeq, Harmony, VisibiliT, BambniTest and PrenaTest are the other commercially available NIPTs for detecting chromosomal abnormalities.
Next generation sequencing is used in the sequencing technologies that immensely parallelize the DNA sequencing process rather than limited few fragments or to a single of DNA. The next generation sequencing (NGS) technology permits rapid sequencing and yields thousands and millions of sequences in single run using next generation sequencers. Such technologies have been rapidly developing owing to the constant demand for high-throughput sequencers which incline to lesser the cost of DNA sequencing.
According to the Department of Biology, University of Copenhagen, There are almost 7000 rare diseases that have been reported globally. Although most of them occur with an incidence of less than one in 2000, in total around 6% of the population suffers from rare diseases. These rare diseases are mostly caused by changes in genes, which is presently lack of effective treatment. The quick advancement of next generation sequencing technology boosts the discovery of new causative gene for these rare diseases, as well as the genetic diagnosis in clinic practice. The innovation of cell-free fetal DNA, coupling with next generation sequencing, makes NIPT possible for rare diseases. However, for most of the current routine prenatal genetic testing for rare diseases require collection of fetal samples through an invasive process, which sometimes might lead to maternal anxiety, or even lead to miscarriage. Hence, developing an effective method to perform noninvasive prenatal test (NIPT) for rare diseases is the crucial challenge to inhibit birth defect in the future.
The exponential progress of the NIPT market is supported by factors such as no risk of miscarriage with NIPT, high incidence rate of babies born with Down syndrome, and shifting trend toward child bearing at advanced maternal age. Maternal age is closely related to the risk of developing a fetus with chromosomal abnormalities; hence, rising maternal age is likely to contribute to the increasing incidence of babies born with chromosomal aneuploidies.
Geographically, the market for non-invasive prenatal testing products has been segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. Europe is the biggest market with more number of cases followed by North America. Adoption in Asia pacific is lesser due to less awareness. North America is expected to grow at highest CAGR in the forecast period. According to Down Syndrome Education (DSE), the incidence rate for Down syndrome is one in every 830 children births in the U.S., while the incidence rate is one in every 920 babies born in Europe, indicating a large potential consumer base for NIPT. Conventional invasive prenatal genetic tests such as chorionic villus sampling (CVS) and amniocentesis are related with the risk of miscarriage; hence, these are being replaced with new non-invasive prenatal tests. These new NIPTs are based on the analysis of cell-free DNA floating in the maternal plasma and pose no risk of miscarriage.
Some of the market players in this industry are., Illumina, Inc., Agilent Technologies, Inc, Biomatters, Ltd., BGI (Beijing Genomics Institute), Pacific Biosciences, Oxford Nanorpore Technologies, Ltd., Dnastar, Inc., Life Technologies Corporation, EMC Corporation, Genomatix Software GMBH, Ocimum Biosolutions, Ltd., Macrogen, Inc., Partek Incorporated, Qiagen N.V., Perkinelmer, Inc., Knome, Inc. and GATC biotech AG.
This intelligence report by TMR is the outcome of intense study and rigorous assessment of various dynamics shaping the growth of the market. TMR nurtures a close-knit team of analysts, strategists, and industry experts who offer clients tools, methodologies, and frameworks to make smarter decisions. Our objective, insights, and actionable analytics provide CXOs and executives to advance their mission-critical priorities with confidence.
The scrutiny of the various forces impacting the dynamics of the market, and key and associated industries, guides enterprises in understanding various consumer propositions. Our clients leverage these insights and perspectives to enhance customer experience in the fast-paced business environment.
All our insights and perspectives are broadly based on 4 Pillars or Stages: ASBC-S, which offer an elaborate and customizable framework for the success of an organization. The essence and the roles of these in organizational successes are highlighted below:
- Agenda for CXOs: TMR, through the study, sets the tone for agendas that are pertinent to CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and other CXO executives of businesses operating in the market. The perspectives help our clients to bridge the gap between agenda and action plan. TMR strives to offer guidance to CXOs to undertake mission-critical activities empowered by various business analysis tools, and boost the performance of the organizations. The perspectives guide you to decide on your own marketing mix that align well with the policies, visions, and mission.
- Strategic Frameworks: The study offers how organizations are setting both short-term and long-term strategic plans. Our team of experts collaborate and communicate with you to understand these to make your organizations sustainable and resilient during tough times. The insights help them decide sustainable competitive advantage for each business units.
- Benchmarking for Deciding Target Markets and Brand Positioning: The assessments in the study provides a scrutiny of marketing channels and marketing mix. Our various teams work synergistically with you to help identify your actual and potential direct, indirect, and budget competition areas. Additionally, the study helps you decide most effective budgets for various processes and promotional activities. Furthermore, the study guides you to set benchmarks for integrating people and processes with the 4Ps of marketing. Eventually, this will empower you to find out unique propositioning strategies and niches.
- Business Composability for Sustainability (C-S): Constant strategy planning for sustainability characterizing our C-S framework in the report has become more relevant than before in the face of disruptions caused by pandemics, recessions, boom and bust cycles, and changing geopolitical scenario. The TMR study offers a high level of customization to help you achieve business composability. Composable enterprises are increasingly gaining the attention of CXOs in order to help them combat market volatility. Our analysts and industry experts help you wade through such uncertainties and guide you to become a smart sustainable business in entirety.
The study presents scrutiny of region-specific consumer and technology trends, including the most recent industry dynamics. These broadly cover but not limited to
- North America, South America, and the Americas
- Asia Pacific and Japan
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
The study offers data-driven insights and guidance of several aspects. Some of the more notable questions are:
- What are the major recent trends that can influence the product life cycle and the RoI?
- Which regulatory trends shape corporate-level, business-level, and functional-level strategies?
- Which micromarketing initiatives of leading players will bring in investments?
- What can be the best framework and tools for PESTLE analysis?
- Which regions will witness rise in new opportunities?
- Which are the game-changing technologies being used to capture new revenue streams in the near future?
- Which operational and tactical frameworks are being adopted by various players in gaining customer loyalty?
- What is the current and expected intensity of competition the market in the near future?
Disclaimer: This market research study is an ongoing effort and extreme care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy at all stages. However, in the light of the rapidly evolving business dynamics, some region-specific or other segment-specific changes may take time to be part of the study.