Neuromyelitis Optica Spectrum Disorder Market: Introduction
- Neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder (NMOSD) is an inflammatory disorder of central nervous system which was previously known as Devic disease or neuromyelitis optica (NMO). It is a rare debilitating and lifelong disease characterized by inflammation in spinal cord and optic nerve.
- People with neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder experience symptoms such as paralysis, muscle weakness, and blindness. Neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder is most common in non-Caucasian women
Key Drivers and Opportunities of Global Neuromyelitis Optica Spectrum Disorder Market
- Rise in incidence of neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder is likely propel the neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder market. For instance, according to an article published in Neurology, in Denmark, the incidence of neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder was 0.070 per 100,000 person-years and the prevalence was 1.09 per 100,000 in 2015.
- Moreover, increase in research & development by key players is anticipated to drive the market. Several players are investing in development of products for the treatment of neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder. Thus, key players have a strong pipeline.
- In December 2019, F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd announced the pivotal phase III study of the investigational medicine satralizumab for the treatment of neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder
- In 2019, inebilizumab (Anti-CD19 mAb) completed phase III clinical trial for neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder. It is offered by Viela Bio.
- Satralizumab offered by Genentech is in phase III clinical trial. It is an investigational humanized monoclonal antibody that targets IL-6 receptor. It is being evaluated for the treatment of neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder (NMOSD).
- Furthermore, introduction of new products by key players is anticipated to drive the neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder market. For instance, in June 2019, Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc. received approval for Soliris injection for the treatment of neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder in adult patients.
- Emergence of new therapies for acute phase or prevention of neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder creates lucrative opportunity for the market. Emerging therapies for acute phase and prevention are Bevacizumab (anti-VEGF mAb) and Alpha1-antitrypsin; and Eculizumab (anti-C5 mAb) and Rituximab (anti-CD20 mAb), respectively.
Are you a Start-up willing to make it Big in the Business? Grab an Exclusive PDF Brochure of Report
North America to Capture Major Share of Global Neuromyelitis Optica Spectrum Disorder Market
- North America is expected to account for major share of the global neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder market due to new product launch and approval. For instance, in October 2019, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration accepted Genentech’s Biologics License Application (BLA) for satralizumab for the treatment of neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder in adults and adolescents. In December 2018, Chugai’s anti-interleukin-6 (IL-6) receptor humanized recycling antibody satralizumab granted the Breakthrough Therapy Designation from U.S. Food and Drug Administration. It is an investigational medicine for the treatment of neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders and neuromyelitis optica.
- The neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder market in Asia Pacific is expected to grow at a rapid pace during the forecast period, owing to rise in prevalence of NMOSD. For instance, according to a study published in Neurology, in 2016, the prevalence of NMOSD was 4.1 per 100,000 in northern Japan and it was higher in females than males.
Looking for Regional Analysis or Competitive Landscape, Ask for a Customized Report
Key Players Operating in Global Neuromyelitis Optica Spectrum Disorder Market
The global neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder market is highly concentrated due to the presence of key players. A large number of manufacturers hold major share in their respective regions.
Demand for neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder treatment products has increased in emerging as well as developed markets, thus, the key players are engaged developing new products and investing in research & development. In August 2019, Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc. received approval from European Commission for SOLIRIS (Eculizumab) for the treatment of neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder.
Major players operating in the global neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder market are:
- Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd
- Viela Bio
- Genentech, Inc.
Global Neuromyelitis Optica Spectrum Disorder Market: Research Scope
Global Neuromyelitis Optica Spectrum Disorder Market, by Therapy
- Drug Therapy
- Plasma Exchange
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.