Natural Killer (NK) Cell: Introduction
- Natural killer (NK) cells also known as K cells or killer cells. These are a type of white blood cells (lymphocyte) and a component of the innate immune system. Natural killer cells play an important role in the host rejection of virally infected cells and tumors.
- Natural killer cells are cytotoxic. Small granules in natural killer cell cytoplasm contain special proteins, such as proteases and perforin known as granzymes. Once the foreign cell reaches the proximity of the natural killer cell, the natural killer cells attack the foreign cells by releasing protein including perforin that forms stomas in the cell membrane of the target cell through which the associated molecules and granzymes can enter and then induces apoptosis.
- Natural killer cells are activated in response to macrophage-derived cytokines and interferons. Patient deficient in natural killer cells is highly prone to early phases of the herpes virus infection.
Get an Idea about the Offerings of Our Natural Killer (NK) Cell Therapeutics Market Report from this Brochure
Key Drivers of Global Natural Killer (NK) Cell Therapeutics Market
- The global natural killer (NK) cell therapeutics market is primarily driven by increase in usage of natural killer cells for the treatment of liver and infectious diseases across the globe. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in the U.S., in 2016, deaths due to tuberculosis stood at 9,272, salmonella claimed 53,850 lives, Lyme disease caused 36,429 deaths, and 375 people died due to the meningococcal disease. The number of patient visits to physician with parasitic and infectious as the primary diagnosis was reported to be 15.5 million in the U.S. in the same year.
- Increase in patient population with infectious and liver diseases is a key driver of the global natural killer (NK) cell therapeutics market
- Rise in the awareness among the population about various immunotherapies and increase in research and development of bi-specific antibody for engaging natural killer cells to eliminate tumor cells are driving the global natural killer (NK) cell therapeutics market
Natural Killer (NK) Cell Directed Antibodies Segment Held Major Share of Global Market
- Based on type, the global natural killer (NK) cell therapeutics market can be divided into natural killer (NK) cell therapies and natural killer (NK) cell directed antibodies
- Natural killer (NK) cell therapies segment can be further divided into CNDO-109, oNKord, natural killer cells, and others
- Natural killer (NK) cell directed antibodies segment can sub-divided into MOGAMULIZUMAB, Lirilumab, AFM13, NKTT 120, and others
- Natural killer (NK) cell directed antibodies segment accounted for a major market share in 2018. The dominance of the segment can be attributed to increase in the use of monoclonal antibodies (mAbs) for various diseases and easy availability of these drugs.
Cancer Segment to Offer Attractive Opportunities
- In terms of application, the global natural killer (NK) cell therapeutics market can be classified into gastrointestinal diseases, immune-proliferative disorders, cancer, and others
- Cancer segment is expected to account for a major share of the global natural killer (NK) cell therapeutics market in 2027
- The dominance of this segment can be attributed to the increase in prevalence rate of cancer across the globe
Expanding Operations in Future? To Get the Perfect Launch Ask for a Custom Natural Killer (NK) Cell Therapeutics Market Report
North America Natural Killer (NK) Cell Therapeutics Market to Expand Rapidly
- Based on region, the global natural killer (NK) cell therapeutics market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. North America is projected to dominate the global market during the forecast period.
- Factors such as high prevalence of cancer and new product development are expected to drive the natural killer (NK) cell therapeutics market in North America
Key Players Operating in Global Market
The global natural killer (NK) cell therapeutics market is highly consolidated with presence of few players accounting for the majority of the market share. Key players operating in the global natural killer (NK) cell therapeutics market are:
- Celgene Corporation
- Nkarta Therapeutics
- Innate Pharma S.A
- Ziopharm Oncology, Inc.
- NKT Therapeutics Inc.
- Fate Therapeutics
- Fortress Biotech Inc.
Global Natural Killer (NK) Cell Therapeutics Market: Research Scope
Global Natural Killer (NK) Cell Therapeutics Market, by Type
- Natural Killer (NK) Cell Therapies
- Natural Killer Cells
- Natural Killer (NK) Cell Directed Antibodies
- NKTT 120
Others Global Natural Killer (NK) Cell Therapeutics Market, by Application
- Gastrointestinal Diseases
- Immune-proliferative Disorders
Global Natural Killer (NK) Cell Therapeutics Market, by Distribution Channel
- Research & Academic Institutes
Global Natural Killer (NK) Cell Therapeutics Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.