Muscarinic Acetylcholine Receptor: Introduction
- Acetylcholine is a major neurotransmitter of the parasympathetic nervous system. It is an ester of choline and acetic acid and functions as a transmitter of nerve impulses within the central and peripheral nervous systems.
- It has both excitatory and inhibitory effects, through which it can block or stimulate a response. Acetylcholine is stored in the acetylcholine producing neurons, known as cholinergic neurons.
- Muscarinic ACh receptors (mAChRs) are metabotropic receptors that are involved in regulating the number of central and peripheral functions. As per the coupling of these receptors to G-protein α-subunits, they are able to inhibit or stimulate postsynaptic neurons. These receptors are responsible for mediating the physiological effects of parasympathetic nerve activity.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Muscarinic Acetylcholine Receptor Market
- The global muscarinic acetylcholine receptor market is primarily driven by a rise in the prevalence of disease such as Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) & Alzheimer’s disease and an increase in importance of muscarinic acetylcholine receptor as a therapeutic target for Alzheimer’s disease and other neurological conditions
- According to World Alzheimer Report data, the number of people with dementia across the world is estimated to increase from 74.7 million in 2015 to 131.5 million by 2050
- According to the World Health Organization (WHO), majority population with dementia live in developing countries, 60% in 2001, which is likely to increase to 71% by 2040.
- Significant progress in research studies to achieve greater receptor selectivity and analysis of receptor subtypes is likely to offer significant opportunities for the market.
Alzheimer's disease Segment to Account for Major Share of Global Market
- In terms of application, the global muscarinic acetylcholine receptor market can be classified into chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, Alzheimer's disease, memory impairment, psychiatric disorders, and others
- The Alzheimer's disease segment is anticipated to dominate the global muscarinic acetylcholine receptor market during the forecast period. The segment is projected to be driven by improvement in knowledge about functional involvement of muscarinic acetylcholine receptor in pathology of Alzheimer's disease.
North America to Dominate Global Muscarinic Acetylcholine Receptor Market
- In terms of region, the global muscarinic acetylcholine receptor market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. North America is projected to dominate the global muscarinic acetylcholine receptor market during the forecast period owing to rigorous research & development activities in the U.S., increase in number of prominent players focusing on developing M1 mAChR agonists for the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease, and number of pharmaceutical companies working on new therapies for rare neurological conditions.
- The market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to expand significantly during the forecast period due to an increase in geriatric population, rise in healthcare expenditure in the region, and a rise in the demand for new treatment options for Alzheimer’s disease
Key Players Operating in Global Market
The global muscarinic acetylcholine receptor market is highly fragmented, with a large number of domestic players accounting for major market share. Key players operating in the global muscarinic acetylcholine receptor market are:
- AstraZeneca plc
- Anavex Life Sciences Corp
- Karuna Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Sumitomo Dainippon Pharma Co. Ltd.
- Heptares Therapeutics Ltd.
- NeuroHealing Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Global Muscarinic Acetylcholine Receptor Market: Research Scope
Global Muscarinic Acetylcholine Receptor Market, by Type
Global Muscarinic Acetylcholine Receptor Market, by Application
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Alzheimer’s Disease
- Memory Impairment
- Psychiatric Disorders
Global Muscarinic Acetylcholine Receptor Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!