Mulch Films Market: Multifaceted Advantages Lead to High Adoption
Mulch films are being increasingly used in agriculture and horticulture to modify soil temperature, minimize weed growth, and improve crop yield. There is increasing awareness about mulch films amongst consumers due to advantages such as less investment on weedicides, early harvest of crops, and increase in quantitative output of crops.
Likewise, consumers are using biodegradable mulch films in agriculture and horticulture. Previously used biodegradable mulch films can be left on the soil and plowed, which reduces operational time during crop harvest. Governments across various countries have made regulatory provisions for the adoption of these films, which has been favoring the growth of the mulch films market.
As such, stakeholders are carrying out research and development to improve the thickness, use of pigments, and the exposure to high solar irradiation in mulch films. Ongoing research and development activities in the mulch films market are being made to develop efficient thermal stabilizers with intermediate chemical resistance in these films. Thus, the breakdown of biodegradable elements in the soil provides several benefits for agriculture and horticulture products.
To understand how our report can bring difference to your business strategy, Ask for a brochure
Mulch Films Market: Biopolymer Mulch Films Promote Sustainability
Manufacturers in the mulch films market are developing environment-friendly applications by combining compostable and soil-biodegradable plastic. Compostable polymer with bio-based elements help reduce white pollution created by agriculture and horticulture products, thus reducing environmental footprint. Biopolymer mulch films are also used to manufacture organic waste bags for various agricultural applications.
Biopolymer mulch films serve as an efficient alternative to enable a closed-loop system that aids organic waste collection and prevents littering of conventional mulch films in the soil. The adoption of biopolymer mulch films helps complete the loop of the food-value chain, as such, leaving very little need for the disposal of waste materials in agricultural applications. The end-of-life options for biopolymer mulch films lead to several advantages, such as biodegradability of the soil, and home and industrial compost ability.
The mulch films market also supports the concept of the circular economy. Thin polyethylene (PE) mulch films are used by farmers to increase crop yield. However, while harvesting the crops, it is difficult for farmers to collect PE mulch films, since they are only a few micrometers thick. The adoption of biopolymer mulch films reduces residual waste in the soil. For instance, in May 2019, BASF SE ? a leading German chemical company operating in the mulch films market, announced the launch of ecovio® ? a high performance compostable and soil-biodegradable plastic used for agricultural and packaging applications.
Request a sample to get extensive insights into the Mulch Films Market
Mulch Films Market: Demand for BDM Estimated to Grow Despite High Cost
Although non-biodegradable mulch films dominate the mulch films ecosystem, with a market share of ~72%, conventional polyethylene mulches have certain drawbacks such as environmental stress caused due to traditional disposal of PE mulches. The disposal of PE mulch films also poses as a risk for the release of toxic particles into the environment that are harmful for human health.
Since PE mulch films are less environment-friendly, stakeholders are promoting the use of biodegradable plastic mulch films (BDM) amongst consumers. Biodegradable plastic mulch films offer efficient moisture retention in crops, and reduce labor hours, as the crops can be directly harvested from the land. Although the cost of BDM is higher than conventional polyethylene mulch films, the demand for BDM is estimated to grow in the coming years.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on “Mulch Films Market"
Analysts’ View on the Growth of the Mulch Films Market
Analysts of the mulch films market have a promising outlook for the growth of the market during the forecast period of 2019-2027. Asia Pacific is estimated to dominate mulch market in terms of incremental opportunities and volume. Biodegradable mulch films are being increasingly used as a sustainable alternative and high performance material to improve crop yield in agriculture and horticulture applications. Although conventional polyethylene mulch films enjoy a huge share of the mulch films market, regulatory provisions of governments across countries are encouraging the adoption of biodegradable mulch films. Since biodegradable mulch films cost more than conventional mulch films, stakeholders need to devise strategies for the effective penetration of biodegradable mulch films amongst consumers in developing economies, such as offering BDM at competitive pricing.
- Globally, revenue generated by the mulch films market is estimated to be ~4.3 billion in 2019, and is expected to expand at a CAGR of ~6% in terms of value throughout the forecast period.
Introduction of Biodegradable Mulch Films in China
- The penetration of mulch films in the China market is projected to expand at a humongous growth rate. To conserve water and protect the soil from noxious weeds, mulch films are widely used on Chinese land. This has led to an increase in the usage of mulch films in China in the past few years.
- However, Chinese farmers predominantly use polyethylene mulch films, which degrades the soil quality when it gets break down during the removal process. Growing number of agricultural scientists and institutes throughout China and across the globe are brainstorming the scale of problems and recommend solutions. For instance, Novamont, a German mulch film manufacturer, has made Mater-Bi compostable resin, which is created from starch and other bio-based material. All these factors are expected to drive the growth of the mulch films market in Asia Pacific market during the forecast period.
Biodegradable Mulch Films to Meet High Level Acceptance among European Farmers
- High growth economies such as the United States and Germany are expected to play a crucial role in modern agriculture. Biodegradable mulch films offer distinctive advantages at the end of the crop cycle, as they can be left on the field, which is not possible in conventional PE mulch films.
- Additionally, European governments take initiatives to use conventional mulch films thicker than 25 microns. Furthermore, biodegradable films are also sold at a particular standard in order to make sure that mulch films will biodegrade and disintegrate without leaving any harmful residue into the soil, which, in turn, is escalating the demand for biodegradable films in the market.
Continuous Use of Mulch Films to Reduce the Quality of Soil
- One of the factors affecting the mulch films market is the usage biodegradable bio-based mulch films, because these fail to meet quality standards. Excessive use of mulch films might hamper soil quality, as both, biodegradable & non-biodegradable mulch film do not decompose 100%.
- Moreover, the removal of plastics is an arduous and difficult process. Also, the cost of biodegradable mulch films is twice the price of non-biodegradable films, which might hamper the market growth of biodegradable mulch films in the near future.
Asia Pacific: 4 Times of Latin America Market by 2027
- Asia Pacific is projected to represent ~60% of the total mulch films market during the forecast period. This is accredited to the increased investments in agricultural activities, especially in China and India.
- China is expected to clock a CAGR of ~7% by value during the forecast period. This is due to climatic conditions and water scarcity in the region that makes mulching films almost indispensable and crucial. India is anticipated to expand at a healthy CAGR during the forecast period, on account of the increasing population and growing demand from the agriculture industry.
Mulch Films Market: Competitive Landscape
- Key manufacturers in the mulch films market such as BASF and Novamont are trying to innovate by conglomerating different bio-based products such as PBS, PBAT, etc.
- Tier I players include BASF, Berry Global, AEP Industries, and Exxon Mobil Corporation. Tier II players include Trioplast, INDEVCO, BioBag International AS, Ginegar, and some other players. Tier III consists of unorganized players in the mulch films market.
- Some of the key players in the global mulch films market are
- Dow Chemical Company
- BASF SE
- FKuR Kunststoff GmbH
- Novamont S.p.A.
- Berry Global Inc.
- AEP Industries Inc.
- Trioplast Industrier AB
- Tilak Polypack Pvt. Ltd.
- Ab Rani Plast Oy.
- RKW Agri Gmbh & Co.
- Industrial Development Company Sal (Indevco)
- Armando Alvarez Group
- BioBag International AS
- Exxon Mobil Corp
- Ginegar Plastic Products Ltd.
Mulch Films Market: Key Developments
Some of the key developments in the mulch films market are as follows:
- Berry Global, a key player in the mulch films market, is following the path of expansion through the acquisition strategy. The company is looking forward to globalizing its business by acquiring and collaborating with national and international players. Recently, it acquired Clopay Plastic Products Company, Inc. from an affiliate of Griffon Corporation.
- Exxon Mobil Corporation mainly focusses on investing in high growth areas such as Asia Pacific and the Middle East to strengthen its premier industry position in the mulch films market.
- RKW Agri Gmbh & Co, another mulch film manufacturer, has strategically distributed its footprint geographically to cover the global mulch films market and take benefits from different regions.
Mulch Films Market: Scope of the Study
[211 Pages Report] Transparency Market Research (TMR) started a new study on the global mulch films market, providing forecast for the period of 2019-2027. In the study, lucrative opportunities for mulch films market are listed out. The report enumerates valuable insights, which enable readers to make winning business decisions for the future growth of their businesses. The report sheds light on the significant factors that are constantly shaping the growth of the mulch films market, untapped opportunities for manufacturers, trends and developments, and other insights across various key segments. Macroeconomic factors that are directly or indirectly affecting the growth of the mulch films market are also incorporated in the report.
Key Questions Answered
- What will be the mulch films market size in 2027?
- Which region will remain the most lucrative for the growth of the mulch films market?
- Which end-use industry is most preferred for mulch films? What is its market size in 2019?
- Who are the major customers for mulch films?
- What is the market share comparison between different packaging formats in the mulch films market?
- What will be the growth rate of the mulch films market in 2021?
Key indicators associated with the mulch films market have been evaluated thoroughly in the report. The study highlights vital market dynamics such as key drivers, challenges, and trends, along with opportunities in the global mulch films market. A comprehensive study on the supply chain of the global mulch films market has also been encompassed in the report.
Other key aspects laid down in the mulch films market include pricing strategy of leading market players and comparative analysis of biodegradable & non-biodegradable mulch films. Furthermore, forecast factors and forecast scenario of the mulch films market have been covered in the report to understand the future prospects of the market.
Y-o-Y growth comparison, volume and revenue comparison, and market share comparison of various market segments are provided in the report. The mulch films market is analyzed at both, regional and country levels.
The mulch films market report delivers an exhaustive evaluation on the structure of the mulch films market, in tandem with a dashboard view of all the leading company profiles in the report. Every company’s share analysis has also been presented in the report, apart from the footprint matrix of the profiled market players. The report depicts the presence of biodegrable & non-biodegradable mulch film manufacturers by leveraging an intensity map. The report also highlights the key end users for mulch films.
Some of the key players in the global mulch films market are Dow Chemical Company, BASF SE, FKuR Kunststoff GmbH, Novamont S.p.A., Berry Global Inc., AEP Industries Inc., Trioplast Industrier AB, Tilak Polypack Pvt. Ltd., Ab Rani Plast Oy., RKW Agri Gmbh & Co., Industrial Development Company Sal (Indevco), Armando Alvarez Group, BioBag International AS, Exxon Mobil Corp, and Ginegar Plastic Products Ltd.
A realistic methodology, along with a holistic approach makes the base for the sharp insights that are provided in the mulch films market report for the study evaluation period. The TMR report comprises detailed information on the growth prospects of the mulch films industry, along with riveting insights into the forecast assessment of the market.
Extensive primary and secondary research has been employed to garner keen insights into the forecast study of the mulch films market. The report on the mulch films market has further gone through cross-validation by in-house professionals to make the mulch films market report one-of-its-kind, with the highest credibility.
Mulch Films Market: Segmentation
The global mulch films market has been bifurcated on the basis of product, material, technology, end use, and region. Each of these segments are analyzed to provide readers a holistic view of the industry.