Monolithic Step-Down Converter Market: Introduction
- Monolithic step-down converters that can operate at high input voltages are usually optimized for efficiency at high input / output voltage differences. The loss of the DC switch is less important in such low duty cycle operations where the switch design is often ignored and hence, the resistance of switch that (for some 1.5A converters) can be as poor as 1Ω. Switching drops can also limit the maximum duty cycle. This limits the minimum input voltage for a particular stabilized output voltage.
- DC/DC converters are used to convert one DC voltage to another DC voltage level, (high to low, low to high), depending on system requirements. DC / DC converters can be used as step-up converters and step-down converters.
- Step-down converters are majorly utilized in smartphones, tablets, and laptops. Manufacturers of smartphones are using step-down converters to regulate the power supply required to charge or power the batteries of smartphones.
- Demand for step-down converters is expected to rise from the electronic products manufacturing sector. The step-down converter delivers power to low voltage devices from a higher voltage power source.
- Manufacturers of electronic products are using tiny step-down functional converters in order to provide secure power supply to their products
- A step down converter is a converter that converts a DC to DC power converter. This reduces the voltage while increasing the current from the input power supply to the output load. A buck converter mostly takes a higher input voltage and converts it into lower output voltage by chopping it up by rapidly switching the output power.
- Monolithic step down converters are used in consumer applications such as home appliances, set top boxes, CPE equipment, LCD displays, peripheral, and battery chargers, etc.
- Features of monolithic step down converter are;
- High-efficiency synchronous mode control
- Programmable frequency up to 2.2MHz
- Low shutdown mode current
- 100% duty cycle operation
- Internal compensation mode
- Selectable AAM or FCCM operation option
- External soft start
- Remote EN control
- Power Good (PG) indicator
- Cycle-by-cycle Over-Current Protection (OCP)
- Short-Circuit Protection (SCP)
- VIN Under-Voltage Lockout (UVLO)
- VOUT Over-Voltage Protection (OVP)
- Thermal shutdown
Rising Demand for Monolithic Step-Down Converter in Aerospace and Defense Industry
- Based on end-use industry, the global market can be segmented into consumer electronics, aerospace and defense, telecommunication, industrial, healthcare, energy and utilities, and others.
- The Aerospace and Defense segment is expected to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period due to the increasing use of monolithic step-down converter for satellite services for GPS and telecommunication services along with the operation related to UAVs
- Monolithic step-down converters also offer several advance features such as thermal shutdown, low shut down mode current, external soft start, power good indicator, and short circuit protection
- Moreover, rising operations related to unmanned aerial vehicles such as commercial and military drones, is further boosting the aerospace and defense segment
- Increasing use of monolithic step-down converter for technological advances in smartphones, tablets and laptops is also boosting the market
Asia Pacific to Lead the Global Monolithic Step-Down Converter Market
- In terms of region, the Monolithic Step-Down Converter Market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, South America, and Middle East & Africa.
- The Monolithic Step-Down Converter in Asia Pacific is anticipated to expand at a high growth rate during the forecast period.
- This expansion is attributed to extensive applications of monolithic step down converters in diverse industries such the electronic industry owing to the increasing popularity of smart devices & other electronic devices, which in turn increase the need for innovative and advanced technology in electronic devices. This is a key factor that is projected to increase the demand for monolithic step-down converters.
- Rise in demand of quality products and industrial robots is also fueling the manufacturing sector, as they are attributed to provide greater efficiency and less chance of error. Hence, rising adoption of industrial robots in the manufacturing sector is anticipated to boost the demand for monolithic step-down converters.
- The monolithic step-down converter market in Asia Pacific is also expected to expand in the near future due to the presence of major players in the region and increased competition among them. The market in North America is likely to expand at a steady pace during the forecast period.
Key Players Operating in Global Monolithic Step-Down Converter Market
Major players operating in the global monolithic step-down converter market are focusing on technological advancements and expansions to cater to the rising demand for monolithic step-down converter. Moreover, manufacturers are undertaking mergers and acquisitions for the development of innovative and advanced technology products.
Key players operating in the global monolithic step-down converter market include:
- Analog Devices Inc
- Mouser Electronics, Inc
- Monolithic Power Systems, Inc
- Texas Instruments Incorporated
- Murata Manufacturing Co., Ltd
- Delta Electronics, Inc.
- RS Components & Controls (I) Ltd
- Arrow Electronics, Inc
- Evelta Electronics
Global Monolithic Step-Down Converter Market: Research Scope
Global Monolithic Step-Down Converter Market, by Product Type
Global Monolithic Step-Down Converter Market, by Application
- Military communication
- Home theatre and Gaming
- Electrocardiogram (ECG) Measurement
- Medical Ultrasound
- Others (Battery Management system, Hearable and Wearable etc.)
Global Monolithic Step-Down Converter Market, by End-use Industry
- Aerospace and Defense
- Consumer Electronic
- Others (Energy and utilities, Instrumentation etc.)
Global Monolithic Step-Down Converter Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- South America
- Rest of South America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!