Molluscum Contagiosum Market: Introduction
- Molluscum contagiosum is a skin infection caused by a poxvirus (molluscum contagiosum virus), which is usually benign. Appearance of lesions anywhere on the body is a characteristic of mild skin disease. These lesions are Mollusca and are small, raised, and usually white, pink, or flesh-colored with a pit at the center. The size of the Mollusca ranges from 2 mm to 5 mm in diameter.
- The lesions primarily appear on the face, neck, arms, legs, abdomen, and genital area. These are not found on hands or soles of the feet. However, the virus remains in the top layer of skin and is not circulated throughout the body. It can remain dormant in the body for long periods and could reoccur.
- The virus spreads from direct person-to-person physical contact and through contaminated fomites. It could spread through sharing of baths, swimming pools, saunas, or other wet environments.
- Secondary infection caused by bacteria is the major complication of the virus. It is a significant problem among immunocompromised patients, such as patients with HIV/AIDS.
Are you a Start-up willing to make it Big in the Business? Grab an Exclusive PDF Brochure of Molluscum Contagiosum Market Report
Key Drivers of Global Molluscum Contagiosum Market
- Increase in number of approvals for new drugs from regulatory authorities such as the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), rise in emphasis on research & development, and promising drugs under pipeline are the various factors expected to drive the global molluscum contagiosum market
- In December 2019, the FDA accepted Verrica Pharmaceuticals’ New Drug Application filing for cantharidin 0.7% topical solution. The solution is indicated for the treatment of molluscum contagiosum. The company is the first to receive such approval and plans to market the drug if approved by the agency.
Topical Therapies Segment to Account for Major Share of Global Market
- In terms of therapy, the global molluscum contagiosum market can be classified into cryotherapy, curettage, immune-modulating therapies, topical therapies, and others
- The topical therapies segment is anticipated to dominate the global market during the forecast period, owing to ongoing R&D activities by prominent players and increase in awareness about topical therapies for molluscum contagiosum among patients
Skin Clinics to be Highly Attractive Segment
- Based on end-user, the global molluscum contagiosum market can be categorized into hospitals, skin clinics, and others
- The skin clinics segment is expected to account for significant share of the global molluscum contagiosum market by 2027. High prevalence of the disease, especially in countries in Europe such as the U.K., Germany, and Spain, is projected to boost the growth of the segment.
North America to Dominate Global Molluscum Contagiosum Market
- In terms of region, the global molluscum contagiosum market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America is projected to dominate the global molluscum contagiosum market during the forecast period. Strengthening of R&D by prominent players in the U.S., high adoption of topical medications for various skin problems, and rise in expenditure on new drug development are the various factors projected to propel the market in North America
- In March 2018, CVS Pharmacy selected ZymaDerm, a topical treatment for molluscum contagiosum, for sale at its retail stores. It is a fast-acting, painless treatment for the disease and is widely accepted in the U.S.
Expanding Operations in Future? To Get the Perfect Launch Ask for a Custom Molluscum Contagiosum Market Report
Key Players Operating in Global Molluscum Contagiosum Market
The global molluscum contagiosum market is highly fragmented, with a large number of domestic players accounting for majority share. Key players operating in the global molluscum contagiosum market are:
- Verrica Pharmaceuticals
- Novan, Inc.
Global Molluscum Contagiosum Market: Research Scope
Global Molluscum Contagiosum Market, by Therapy
- Immune-modulating Therapies
- Topical Therapies
Global Molluscum Contagiosum Market, by End-user
- Skin Clinics
Global Molluscum Contagiosum Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis