- Spectrometers are usually large devices used for color measurement and chemical analysis. The sample for measurement needs to be brought to the chemical laboratory, where these bulky devices are installed. This, in recent years, has led to rapidly rising interest in devices capable of making onsite analysis by real-time measurement. These devices eliminate the need to bring samples to a special lab and to monitor measurements during constant observation.
- Mini-spectrometers are compact spectrometers (or, polychromators), whose optical system, Image sensors, and circuits are enclosed in a small case
- Spectroscopic instruments previously used in chemical analysis were typically large and expensive. They were compact and portable, which made it possible to take real-time measurement onsite rather than bringing measurement samples to a room where the spectroscopic instrument was installed.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Mini-spectrometers Market
- Driven by advancements in spectrograph optical components, array detectors, fiber-optics, and computing, significant reduction in the size of optical spectrometers has been achieved, without sacrificing their performance
- This has resulted in the commercialization of a new class of low-cost, compact spectrometers, commonly referred to as miniature spectrometers or mini-spectrometers. Considered as new devices when the first was developed almost 20 years ago, they are currently used for applications wherein larger and more sophisticated bench-mounted versions were used previously.
- Mini-spectrometers help achieve fast-paced and onboard data processing. This is a key factor driving the global mini-spectrometers market.
- However, limitations in spectral manipulation, data transfer speed, and multichannel measurement capabilities have restricted the use of mini-spectrometers in more demanding applications
Onboard Data Processing through Mini-spectrometers: A Key Market Driver
- A more recent development in the evolution of miniature spectrometers is the use of an embedded microprocessor onboard the spectrometer to carry out all the data manipulation
- Advantages of this development include onboard data processing, which allows for rapid averaging, smoothing, and automatic dark current compensation to improve SNR (signal-to-noise) ratio
- Manufacturers are providing a USB communication port, which provides significant enhancement in the speed of data transfer and ultra-fast trigger delays. This enables simultaneous monitoring of multiple channels of data without the need to use a master/slave protocol.
Fast-paced High-volume Testing of Mini-spectrometers to Offer Growth Opportunities
- Miniature spectrometers have a fixed grating spectrograph in combination with a linear detector array, which enables the measurement of an entire spectrum simultaneously and at high speeds. While this geometry does not allow for real-time adjustment of spectral range and resolution, it results in much higher sensitivity as compared to the scanning geometry used in optical spectrum analyzers (OSAs), as it does not require a different acquisition at each measurement point.
- This speed advantage is not only helpful for fast-paced high-volume testing environments, but also for more accurate measurement of pulsed laser systems by using high-speed triggering. As a result, certain laser manufacturers are adopting the miniature spectrometer technology as a complementary technology to OSA.
- These factors are expected to boost the global mini-spectrometers market during the forecast period
North America to Lead Global Mini-spectrometers Market
- The global mini-spectrometers market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, South America, and Middle East & Africa. North America is a major market for mini-spectrometers, due to presence of several key market players in the region.
- Substantial investments in research and development by various end-users in the region are anticipated to drive the mini-spectrometers market in North America during the forecast period
Key Players Operating in Global Market
Major players operating in the global mini-spectrometers market are:
- Hamamatsu Photonics K.K.
- StellarNet, Inc.
- Knight Optical Ltd.
- HORIBA, Ltd.
- Agilent Technologies
- Grimm Aerosol Technik
- Ocean Insight
Global Mini-spectrometers Market: Research Scope
Global Mini-spectrometers Market, by Technology
- MEMS Technology
- Image Sensor Technology
Global Mini-spectrometers Market, by Application
- Color Measurement
- Sugar Content Measurement
- Display Color Measurement
- Film Thickness Measurement
- Plastic Screening
- Fluorescent Measurement
- Environmental Analysis
- Color Adjustment
Global Mini-spectrometers Market, by End-user
- Manufacturing Industries
- Chemical Industries
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.