Merkel Cell Carcinoma (MCC) Treatment Market: Introduction
- Merkel cell carcinoma, also known as neuroendocrine carcinoma of the skin, is a rare and aggressive type of skin cancer that develops from the top layers of the skin. The disease is caused due to prolonged exposure to the sun, weak immunity, or due to idiopathic reasons.
- Merkel cell carcinoma (MCC) is a rare disease in which malignant cancer cells form in the skin. Merkel cell carcinoma is the second-most common cause of skin cancer death after melanoma. Weak immune system and exposure to the sun induce the effects of merkel cell carcinoma. MCC usually appears as a single painless lump when exposed to the sun. The disease starts in areas of skin exposed to the sun, especially the head and neck, as well as the arms, legs, and trunk. Merkel cell carcinoma grows rapidly into a metastasize at an early stage, by spreading to nearby lymph nodes or skin in distant parts of the body, lungs, brain, bones, or other organs.
- Several tests and procedures can be carried to examine the skin to detect and diagnose carcinoma cells; however, there are certain factors or effects of prognosis and treatment options that decrease the chance of recovery. New developments in skin biopsy approaches enable to image the diseases or infection at the cellular and molecular level, paving the way for early diagnosis and treatment of diseases.
Key Drivers, Restraints, and Opportunities of Global Merkel Cell Carcinoma (MCC) Treatment Market
- Increasing cases of MCC is a prominent factor propelling the global Merkel cell carcinoma market. As per the report published in the Current Dermatology Reports journal, the estimated annual prevalence of MCC was approximately 0.6 per 100,000 people. The National Cancer Database, has reported that each year approximately 2500 and 1500, novel MCC cases are reported in Europe and the U.S., respectively.
- Rising research and development activities for the treatment of Merkel cell carcinoma is anticipated to propel the market. In May 2017, researchers of Fred Hutchison University and the University of Washington in Seattle reported the results of a small study combining Avelumab with two other treatments. The combination therapy improves T cells generation and attacks the MCC cells. The National Cancer Institute has also commenced a clinical trial involving the investigational study of the drug ipilimumab Merkel cell carcinoma. Curalso recently is in phase 2 clinical study.
- The Merkel cell carcinoma pipeline is anticipated to propel the market. For instance, in December 2018, Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., a subsidiary of Merck & Co., Inc., undertook a phase 3 open-label, single-arm study to evaluate the efficacy of pembrolizumab as first-line therapy in the participants with advanced Merkel cell carcinoma. In December 2018, Incyte Corporation undertook a phase 2 study of INCMGA00012 in participants with metastatic Merkel cell carcinoma.
- The presence of biosimilars for the Merkel cell carcinoma therapy have been observed to fuel the market. For instance, the European Commission approved the first biosimilars Amgevita, from the Amgen pharmaceutical company. It was approved in the US by the FDA, in September 2016.
- However, the high price of therapeutics, lack of awareness among the people, the onset of side-effects are likely to hamper the market during the forecast period. Side-effects of external radiation therapy include nausea, skin changes, diarrhoea, painful sores in the throat and mouth, fatigue, and dry mouth or thick saliva. The side-effects of the radiation are temporary; however, some rare serious side-effects could become permanent. In a few cases, radiation to the chest could even cause lung damage, which may lead to breathing issues and shortness of breath.
North America to Capture Major Share of Global Merkel Cell Carcinoma (MCC) Treatment Market
In terms of region, the global merkel cell carcinoma treatment market can be segmented into North America, Latin America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and Middle East & Africa. North America dominated the global market due to an increase in funding for the development of research and healthcare infrastructure in the region. Rising incidence of skin cancer diseases, such as MCC, and early phase diagnosis and treatment of diseases are driving the biotechnology & pharmaceutical sector in North America, which in turn is expected to boost the Merkel cell carcinoma (MCC) treatment market in the region in the next few years. Europe is the second-leading market for Merkel cell carcinoma treatment, as there are favorable government policies regarding the development of healthcare infrastructure, well-developed facilities for cancer patients, and increasing number of gene therapy companies in the region. The Merkel cell carcinoma (MCC) treatment market in Asia Pacific is projected to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period due to rising environmental pollution, changing lifestyle of people, increasing awareness among patients about MCC treatment, and growing per capita expenditure for health insurance in the region. Moreover, economic growth in India and China is boosting healthcare infrastructure as well as expansion of pharmaceutical companies and biotech labs, which is likely to drive the Merkel cell carcinoma (MCC) treatment market in Asia Pacific in the near future.
Key Players Operating in Global Merkel Cell Carcinoma (MCC) Treatment Market
The global merkel cell carcinoma (MCC) treatment market is highly fragmented, with the presence of various key players. A large number of manufacturers hold a major share in their respective regions. Major players operating in the global merkel cell carcinoma (MCC) treatment market are:
- Pfizer Inc.
- Ono Pharmaceutical Co. Ltd
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
- Merck & Co., Inc.
- Amgen Inc.
- Novartis AG
- Oncovir, Inc.
- Teva Pharmaceuticals Industries Ltd
- OncoSec Medical Incorporated
- Biologics, Inc. (McKesson Corporation)
- Millennium Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- NantKwest, Inc.
- Merck KGaA
- BeiGene Ltd.
- Apcure SAS
- Immune Design Corp.
Global Merkel Cell Carcinoma (MCC) Treatment Market: Research Scope
Global Merkel Cell Carcinoma (MCC) Treatment Market, by Therapy
- Surgical excision
- Micrographic surgery
Global Merkel Cell Carcinoma (MCC) Treatment Market, by Test Type
- Computerized axial tomography scan
- Positron emission tomography scan
- Biopsy test
- Immunohistochemistry test
Global Merkel Cell Carcinoma (MCC) Treatment Market, by Route of Administration
Global Merkel Cell Carcinoma (MCC) Treatment Market, by End-user
- Cancer diagnostic labs
Global Merkel Cell Carcinoma (MCC) Treatment Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
With a robust experience in creating exceptional market reports, Transparency Market Research has emerged as one of the trusted market research companies among a large number of stakeholders and CXOs. Every report at Transparency Market Research goes through rigorous research activity in every aspect. The researchers at TMR keep a close watch on the market and extract beneficial growth-boosting points. These points help the stakeholders to strategize their business plans accordingly.
TMR researchers conduct exhaustive qualitative and quantitative research. This research involves taking inputs from the experts in the market, focused attention on recent developments, and others. This method of research makes TMR stand out from other market research firms.
Here's how Transparency Market Research helps the stakeholders and CXOs through the reports:
Inculcation and Evaluation of Strategic Collaborations: The TMR researchers analyze recent strategic activities like mergers, acquisitions, partnerships, collaborations, and joint ventures. All the information is compiled and included in the report.
Perfect Market Size Estimations: The report analyzes the demographics, growth potential, and capability of the market through the forecast period. This factor leads to the estimation of the market size and also provides an outline about how the market will retrieve growth during the assessment period.
Investment Research: The report focuses on the ongoing and upcoming investment opportunities across a particular market. These developments make the stakeholders aware of the current investment scenario across the market.
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.