Melioidosis Diagnostic Market: Introduction
- Melioidosis, also called as Whitmore's Disease, is an infectious disease caused by the bacteria Burkholderia pseudomallei. Melioidosis infection usually affects the lungs and is diagnosed by blood, urine, saliva, or skin lesion examination. Melioidosis bacteria are present in polluted water and soil, and they propagate by direct contact with the contaminated source to humans and animals.
- The incubation time for melioidosis varies from 1 to 21 days, with an overall span of nine days to the start of infection. Symptoms are usually observed two to four weeks after exposure. Melioidosis is widely recorded in Southeast Asia, North Australia, South Asia (including India), and China. Majority of patients are from Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, and Northern Australia. Melioidosis was also recorded in Papua New Guinea and New Caledonia. B. Pseudomallei has various forms of secretion systems that are important for its spread and intracellular survival, while its pathogenesis is partially due to exotoxins.
- The bacteria that causes the disease are found in the soil, rice paddies, and stagnant waters of the region. People get infected by inhaling dust infected with the bacteria and when the contaminated dirt comes into contact with the abraded layer of the skin. Infection most frequently occurs during the rainy season.
Key Drivers, Restrains, and Opportunities of Global Melioidosis Diagnostic Market
- Increase in prevalence of melioidosis and major investments in the advancement of healthcare facilities are key factors driving the melioidosis diagnostics market. Patient factors, including growing rates of diabetes mellitus and continuing dangerous alcohol use, are projected to increase the population at risk of melioidosis, in addition to environmental factors, which are estimated to drive the melioidosis diagnostic market. Moreover, expansion of the market can also be fuelled by new products under pipeline. However, the shortage of qualified professionals/technicians and the high cost of diagnostic instruments restrain the melioidosis diagnostic market.
North America to Capture Major Share of Global Melioidosis Diagnostic Market
- North America is leading in the global market in terms of demand for melioidosis diagnostics. The region is projected to account for a prominent share during the forecast period. Expansion of the market in the region can be attributed primarily to an increase in investment in R&D in pharmaceutical companies, rise in government funding for the development of diagnostic kits, and the presence of key players in North America.
- The market in Asia Pacific is projected to expand at a notable CAGR level during the forecast era due to a rise in number of cases of melioidosis. For instance, clinicians in Northern Australia, especially during the wet season, and in people with predisposing risk factors have a high index of suspicion of melioidosis.
- Lack of laboratory diagnostic capabilities and lack of disease awareness are likely to further create opportunities. For instance, in several laboratories across Australia, Matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight (MALDI-TOF) mass spectrometry is available and can be used to rapidly recognize B. Pseudomallei of cultivated specimens. Moreover, serological testing by using indirect haemagglutination assay is accessible in Australia; however, the use is restricted in the diagnosis of acute illness in those from endemic locations due to context seropositivity.
- Increasing government and private sector investment is also projected to fuel the boost the companies operating in the melioidosis diagnostic market in Asia Pacific
Key Players Operating in Global Melioidosis Diagnostic Market
The global melioidosis diagnostic market is highly consolidated due to the presence of key players. A large number of manufacturers hold major share in their respective regions.
Major players operating in the global melioidosis diagnostic market are listed below:
- Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc.
- Bio-Rad Laboratories, Inc
- PerkinElmer Inc.
- InBios International, Inc.
- Cell Signaling Technology, Inc
- Other Prominent Players
Global Melioidosis Diagnostic Market: Research Scope
Global Melioidosis Diagnostic Market, by Diagnostic test
- Bacterial culture test
- Latex fixation test
- Hemagglutination assay
- Matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization
- Direct fluorescent antibody test
- Other Tests
Global Melioidosis Diagnostic Market, by Sample type
- Blood cultures
- Rectal swabs
- Pus from abscesses
Global Melioidosis Diagnostic Market, by End use
- Research laboratories
- Academic institutions
Global Melioidosis Diagnostic Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!