Global Meibomian Gland Dysfunction Treatment Market: Overview
- Meibomian gland dysfunction (MGD) is a common eye condition and a primary cause of evaporative dry eye. Stagnation of meibum induces an unstable tear film, thus resulting in shortened tear film breakup time and superficial punctate keratopathy (SPK) in the lower cornea and punctate staining of lower bulbar conjunctiva.
- MGD is sometimes accompanied with inflammation (termed meibomitis) through the proliferation of bacteria in the meibomian gland and eyelash area. Meibomitis is strongly related to ocular surface inflammation such as corneal cellular infiltrates and neovascularization, SPK, and conjunctivitis.
- The primary reason for meibomian gland dysfunction is thought to be based on an obstructive disorder, caused by increased keratinization of the terminal ducts, the presence of squamous debris, and a thickening of the meibum
Key Driver of Global Meibomian Gland Dysfunction Treatment Market
- Numerous pooled research studies indicated that men were more prone to meibomian gland dysfunction (MGD) than women. Accordin to Acta Ophthalmologica Journal, the prevalence of meibomian gland dysfunction in the normal population across the population in Asia is reported to be highly variable and in various studies ranges between 3.4% and 60%. It seems to be higher in the population across Asia. This high rate of prevalence is likely to drive the demand for treatment of meibomian gland dysfunction.
North America to Account for Major Share of Global Meibomian Gland Dysfunction Treatment Market
- In terms of region, the global meibomian gland dysfunction treatment market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and Rest of the World. North America is projected to dominate the global market during the forecast period.
- North America is anticipated to account for a significant share of the global market due to well-defined reimbursement policies from public and private health insurance firms that help provide patients easy access to diagnosis and treatment
- According to a study published by the American Optometric Association in 2017, more than 16 million people in the U.S.-including twice as many women than men- were suffering from dry eye disease, and out of them around 70% of patients have meibomian gland dysfunction syndrome.
- Asia Pacific is expected to account for a substantial share of the market, in terms of revenue, during the forecast period due to an increase in patient population and a rise in adoption of treatment
Key Players Operating in Global Meibomian Gland Dysfunction Treatment Market
Major players operating in the global meibomian gland dysfunction treatment market are:
- Pfizer, Inc.
- AbbVie Inc.
- Johnson and Johnson Service Inc.
- Bausch Health Companies Inc.
- Novartis AG
- Akorn, Inc.
- Sentiss Pharma Pvt. Ltd.
Global Meibomian Gland Dysfunction Treatment Market: Research Scope
Global Meibomian Gland Dysfunction Treatment Market, by Drug Type
- Omega-3 supplements
- Antibacterial Eye Drops
- AZR MD 001
- TP 03
- NOV03 (Novatears)
- HY02 – Minocycline
Global Meibomian Gland Dysfunction Treatment Market, by Route of Administration
Global Meibomian Gland Dysfunction Treatment Market, by Distribution Channel
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies