Cannabis sativa, Cannabis indica, and Cannabis ruderalis are referred as cannabis or marijuana and used for medicinal, recreational, and ritualistic purposes. According to the United Nations Convention on Narcotic Drugs, 1961, cannabis can be defined as the fruiting or flowering tops of the cannabis plant from which the resin has not been extracted. The term medical marijuana refers to the basic extracts or whole unprocessed marijuana plant, which is used to treat certain illness or conditions. However, the marijuana plant has not been approved or recognized as medicinal by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) due to the lack of efficient large-scale efficient clinical trials. However, studies on chemicals in cannabis or marijuana known as cannabinoids has led to availability of two FDA-approved medication pills containing this chemical or extract. Cannabis plant contains about 104 different cannabinoids and around 750 different chemicals. THC (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol), CBD (cannabidiol), and CBN (cannabinol), are the primary cannabinoids in the plant.
The global medical marijuana market holds an immense potential and is anticipated to grow at a significant CAGR during the forecast period. Continuous research and development to provide efficient therapeutic intervention for a host of diseases and symptoms is projected to boost the growth of the medical marijuana market. Several chemicals or extracts obtained from marijuana are in clinical phase. Marijuana testing is another major factor expected to propel the medical marijuana market in the near future. Rise in the number of countries approving the use of the product for therapeutic application such as pain management in cancer and HIV/AIDS patients, appetite stimulant, and decreasing nausea is projected to drive the global medical marijuana market. Rising recreational and personal use of marijuana and stringent regulatory laws are expected to restrain the market during the forecast period.
The global medical marijuana market can be segmented based on application, end-user, and region. In terms of application, the global medical marijuana market can be categorized into oncology, arthritis, chronic pain, neurology, and others. Rising chronic pain disorders is expected to fuel the growth of the market during the forecast period. Based on end-user, the market can be divided into hospitals, research and academic institutes, and others.
Geographically, the global medical marijuana market can be divided into North America, Latin America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and Middle East & Africa. North America is anticipated to dominate the global medical marijuana market in terms of revenue. Legalization of cannabis for medicinal and recreational use in the region and approval of the drugs for therapeutic application are fuelling the growth of the medicinal marijuana market in North America. Asia Pacific is anticipated to grow at a rapid pace during the forecast period. Growth of the market in the region is attributed to increasing approval of medical marijuana and high R&D investment in cancer research.
Key players operating in the global medical marijuana market are Pfizer, Inc., Teva Pharmaceuticals USA, Inc., Novartis International AG, Canopy Growth Corporation, Inc., CannaGrow Holdings, Inc., AbbVie, Inc, GW Pharmaceuticals, plc., and Insys Therapeutics, Inc., among others.
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?