Medical Education Market: 'Digitalization' to Transcend Market Growth
CME (Continuing Medical Education) programs have emerged as a multibillion dollar enterprise in developed countries. Although these programs are slowly finding their ground in developing countries such as India, China, and Indonesia, the medical education market is yet to explore their full potential in these countries. The medical education market continues to gain strength through the rise in the number of students keen on seeking medical education, and the growing preference for online training.
Digitalization plays a key role in unlocking numerous growth opportunities in the medical education market. It is a tool to address the widening gap between new technological advancements and professional practices. Numerous healthcare facilities have mandated the completion of online training to gain professional privileges. According to research findings of the BioMedCentral (BMC) (2016), medical education offered through online platforms is likely to increase, because it provides unparalleled access to new research techniques. When looked at from a manufacturer’s perspective, it is a potential opportunity for the development of new tools with differentiated features using robust technologies.
Sensing the growth potential of the medical education market in general, and the online learning segment in particular, Transparency Market Research (TMR) conducted comprehensive research on the nodes and internodes influencing the market, and their impact on the market dynamics. The information presented in the report gives business leaders a better understanding of the market.
Identify the key factors that will drive your company’s growth. Request a brochure of this report here
How has the Medical Education Market Transitioned?
There is the pressing need to deliver a system that not only augments the knowledge of medical professionals but equips them with the ability to stay updated with the recent changes in the medical world. The market was once knowledge-intensive; however, it is foraying towards the era of education through interactive media. Customers demand that the education system is aligned with their individual abilities. A human-to-machine interaction certainly gives them an opportunity to decide the sequence of the information and pace of the study program. This has prompted manufacturers to come up with solutions that are not only cost-effective but offer features such as customization of pace.
The lack of primary care in underdeveloped and developing regions serves as an opportunity in the disguise of a restraint. This 'physician shortage' experienced by these regions and the burgeoning demand-capacity gap calls for the need to increase the number of medical professionals. As a result, governments of these regions are concentrating their efforts on promoting medical education through campaigns and funding. Looking at the current need for clinicians and the palpable shift in the consumer outlook, the medical education market is projected to attain a valuation of more than US 44 Bn by 2027, burgeoning at a CAGR of more than 4%.
Technological Advancements to Help Manufacturers Thrive in the Market’s Turbulence
Technological advancement is a trend that has redefined the medical education market’s growth. 'Virtual reality', being the catchphrase in the medical sector, has influenced the medical education space at large. Education providers have realized the dynamic nature of the medical environment. They are striving to adapt to the seamless transition that necessitates the need to understand the real-life environment in which medical services are rendered. This trend has highly benefitted the manufacturers providing virtual reality and artificial intelligence (AI) platforms. It has also encouraged medical schools and researchers to develop projects that cater to the current need for virtual reality. The LINDSAY Virtual Human Project is one such initiative that is aimed at building a computer generated, 3-D virtual human.
Technological advancements in the medical education market are not just limited to virtual reality, but extend their reach to the development of wearable devices for paramedical studies. Students and education providers no longer want location to be the barrier in the way of education. Moreover, looking at the current scenario in the medical industry, there is the need to intensify the relationship between people and technology. This notion has led manufacturers to develop solutions such as the Google Glass, which allows the teacher to demonstrate a surgery for the student in real time from any place.
Want to know more such detailed insights of “Medical Education market”? Request a PDF sample here
Growing Collaborations and Partnerships to Create New Avenues of Growth
In a bid to consolidate their position in developing and underdeveloped regions, stakeholders in the medical education market are banking on collaborations and strategic alliances. Stakeholders are closely analyzing the opportunities in these regions based on the need for medical professionals, the prevalence of a particular disease, and the need for expansion of medical education. For instance, in 2016, Apollo Hospitals collaborated with the University of New South Wales to launch public health degree programs in India. This collaboration helped the company enhance the capacity of India’s workforce, and address the major health challenges faced by the country. Similarly, Gundersen Health System partnered with Dilla University and Dilla University Referral Hospital to expand its medical education program in Ethiopia.
Competition Intensity of the Medical Education Market
The medical education market remains highly competitive with the presence of numerous local and regional players along with national and international players. Key players in the market are banking on developing new education programs and platforms as the key strategy to strengthen their footprints in the medical education market. For instance, Harvard Medical School recently hosted two days of an external education program for healthcare professionals, community members, and policy makers. This program was aimed at increasing opioid misuse awareness. Similarly, John Hopkins Kimmel Cancer Center launched the Adolescent Depression Awareness Program (ADAP). Such programs not only create awareness regarding the need for optimal medical care but give these companies an opportunity to build a brand image.
Key players are essentially capitalizing on the void in the demand and supply to expand their revenue share in the market. They are sensing opportunities in the regions with a dearth of medical facilities or healthcare professionals, striving to expand their precincts in these regions, as there is a very little scope of competition. They are using mergers, acquisitions, and partnerships as a key to penetrate regional markets and expand the medical workforce in these regions. A major chunk of collaborations in the medical education market were aimed at expanding medical services and medical education programs in underdeveloped regions.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report here
Research analysts maintain a positive outlook on the medical education market, with a steady pace of growth expected during the forecast period. Although the market generates high revenues from developed regions, it is the developing and underdeveloped regions that present lucrative growth opportunities. The high concentration of the market in developed countries calls for the need to innovate as a differentiating strategy for stakeholders. In addition to innovation, stakeholders will need to strengthen their partnerships in order to enhance their geographical presence in the market. Overall, creating a robust brand image through educational programs and understanding the dynamics in regional markets are estimated to bring good fortune to stakeholders. Research analysts strongly opine that, 'digitalization' will drive the growth of the medical education market in the coming years.
New Collaborative Models in Medical Education
- The global medical education market was valued at nearly US$ 31 Bn in 2018, and is anticipated to reach a value of more than US$ 44 Bn by 2027, expanding at a CAGR of more than 4% from 2019 to 2027.
- Most universities are racing toward integrated, rather than traditional, discipline-based curriculums. Universities are implementing innovative teaching methods such as practical based approaches, journal clubs, evidence-based medicine (EBM), problem-based learning (PBL), and hands-on interaction and training with patients, to build their medical knowledge.
- Focus on advancements of infrastructure in the form of research laboratories, library facilities with online educational resources, online research journals, and Wi-Fi on campus to access online academic information has added value to the medical education market.
Increase in Preference for Online Education and Continuing Medical Education (CME) Programs
- Online continuing medical education is expanding significantly. Factors such as increase in penetration of Internet and exposure to current technologies across the world are the major drivers of the medical education market. The Internet is the primary source of videos, audios, and ebooks.
- Continuing medical education (CME) provides support for continuous learning and improvement, which help medical professionals, especially physicians and nurses, to address the gaps in their professional practice, such as technological developments, renewal of license and board certification/society, professional privileges, and certain skills. In the U.S., several hospitals and ambulatory surgical centers, as part of educational programs, offer online and other CME activities. Doctors, nurses, and with a few exceptions, allied healthcare professionals, are required to complete CME credits on a yearly basis.
Growth of Continuous Medical Education (CME) Programs to Address Physician Shortage
- Primary care physicians are at the frontline of patient care. There is a surging demand for primary care physicians due to the increasing patient base and disease complexity, and nascent public health crises such as obesity, diabetes, heart disease, etc. Moreover, the new influx of patients due to increasing geriatric population and healthcare reforms have fuelled the demand for physicians.
- According to Rockpointe Publication, a primary care physician sees around 2,300 patients a year, which is only expected to increase in the next few years. Primary care physicians are the first point of contact, and are called upon to treat a wide range of diseases. Physicians have to regularly coordinate with specialists in order to provide the most appropriate and comprehensive treatment to patients.
- Considering the shortage of physicians, healthcare institutes have started organizing continuous medical education programs for medical staff. Professional medical education along with accredited CME has proven to be an effective stop-gap to update practicing physicians with current advancements and technologies.
North America to Account for Prominent Medical Education Market Share
- The medical education market report offers detailed segmentation of the global medical education market. The global medical education market is based on type of training, mode of education, type of organization, delivery method, and region. In terms of type of training, the medical education market has been classified into cardiothoracic training, neurology training, orthopedic training, oral and maxillofacial training, pediatric training, radiology training, laboratory training, and others.
- Based on mode of education, the global medical education market has been segmented into on-campus training, distance training, and online training. In terms of type of organization, the medical education market has been categorized into school of medicine, government/military organization, hospital, insurance & company, non-profit organization, publishing or education company, and others.
- Based on delivery method, the global medical education market has been divided into Internet enduring materials, courses, and regularly scheduled series/other enduring materials. In terms of region, the global medical education market has been segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and the Middle East & Africa.
Transparency Market Research (TMR) recently published a report on the global medical education market, which offers comprehensive information on the notable trends in the medical education market, and their impact on the business strategies adopted by key medical education market players. The study analyzes the growth scenario of the medical education market based on numerous macroeconomic and microeconomic factors. It provides incisive insights on the impact of the recent technological developments on the future of the medical education market.
The medical education market research study helps stakeholders understand the dynamics of the medical education market, which enables them to take well-informed business-related decisions. The study assesses the historical trends in the medical education market, and provides insights on how they have influenced the evolution of the medical education market.
Through this study, readers will gain significant details about the drivers and restraints impacting the growth of the medical education market. They will also acquire information about the medical education market’s potential in different geographical sectors, and the key market players operating in those regions.
What are the Important Questions Answered in the Medical Education Market Report?
TMR’s report presents key insights on the global medical education market based on detailed research on the strategic developments and new opportunities in the market. It gives readers a deep understanding of the current and future growth prospects of the medical education market, and analyzes the intensity of competition between the leading players in the medical education market. The information provided in the medical education market report answers key questions that help stakeholders expand their revenue share in the market. Some of these questions include:
- Which segment is expected to expand at a high rate during the forecast period?
- What strategies are adopted by key players to consolidate their position in regional markets?
- What measures are taken by incumbent players to compete with new entrants in the medical education market?
- How are newly developed technologies influencing product sales in the medical education market?
- How are the historical trends impacting the future of the global medical education market?
- What are the segment-specific trends in the medical education market?
TMR analysts relied on numerous primary and secondary research sources to offer exclusive data pertaining to the notable developments in the medical education market. Analysts have analyzed the demand and supply chain to key up with key market figures regarding the revenue and sales in the market.
For primary research, desk interviews were conducted with prominent stakeholders, retailers, CEOs of key enterprises, and key opinion leaders across the value chain in the medical education market. The information acquired through primary sources acted as a valid source to determine the key drivers and growth opportunities in the medical education market. It further helped in attaining key insights regarding the dynamics and new trends in the market.
For secondary research, analysts relied on sources such as annual reports, SEC filings, press releases, blogs, publications, and investor presentations. Revenues of publicly listed market players have been analyzed through the secondary sources, which helped in arriving to the current market size and also the volume of sales generated through different applications in the medical education market.
What are the Key Segments of the Medical Education Market?
According to TMR’s study, the medical education market comprises five broad categories - delivery method, mode of training, type of training, type of organization, and region. The report entails a market snapshot that provides detailed information about each segment, and analysis of the global medical education market with respect to the leading segments.
TMR’s study details the key developments in each segment of the medical education market, and how they have influenced the market strategies adopted by key players in the medical education market. It further elucidates the measures taken by key enterprises to gain a stronghold in leading regional markets. The information provided in the medical education market report includes y-o-y growth analysis, value chain analysis, supply chain analysis, and cost structure
Internet Enduring Materials
Regularly Scheduled Series and Other Enduring Materials
Mode of Training
Type of Training
Oral and Maxillofacial Training
Type of Organization
School of Medicine
Government/ Military Organization
Publishing or Education Company
Middle East and Africa