Lysosomal Disease Treatments Market: Introduction
Lysosomal storage disorders cause several diseases. Lysosomal storage diseases (LSDs) are a large group of disorders caused by a deficiency of specific enzymes responsible for the degradation of substances present in lysosomes. They affect the lysosome -- a structure in cells that breaks down substances, such as proteins, carbohydrates, and old cell parts so the body can recycle them. The purpose of substrate reduction therapy is to down regulate the formation of the lysosomal substance to a rate at which the residual enzyme activity can catabolize the stored and de novo produced lysosomal substrate. Chemical chaperone therapy is based on small molecules able to bind and stabilize the misfolded enzymes.
Clinical signs characterizing different diseases depend on the quantity and type of accumulated substance; in general, the disease is named after the type of undegraded substrate. Most LSDs have an autosomal recessive inheritance pattern. Mucopolysaccharidosis type II, Fabry disease, and Danon disease are X-linked. Different therapeutic approaches were used in the past to address the underlying causes of the diseases: infusion of plasma or plasma fractions, intravenous injection of exogenous enzymes extracted from human tissues, infusion of leukocytes and implantation of skin fibroblasts or amniotic cells. People with these disorders are missing important enzymes (proteins that speed up reactions in the body). Without the enzymes, the lysosome is not able to break down these substances.
Get a Glimpse of the In-Depth Analysis through our Comprehensive Lysosomal Disease Treatments Market Brochure
Key Drivers of Global Lysosomal Disease Treatments Market
Demand for orphan drug status
- Current economic situation, along with growing generic competition has shifted the focus of pharmaceutical companies from essential medicines to a new business model - niche busters, also called orphan drugs
- Orphan drugs may help pharma companies to reduce the impact of revenue loss caused by patent expiries of blockbuster drugs
- Rare diseases in small patient population, thus “orphaned” by the pharmaceutical industry having but a few approved drug treatment options available are called orphan diseases
- Orphan diseases are often so rare that a physician may observe only one case a year or less. Academic physician-scientists have tried to fill this therapy vacuum by working on developing orphan drugs.
North America to Hold Major Share of Global Lysosomal Disease Treatments Market
- North America is expected to hold a major share of the global lysosomal disease treatments market during the forecast period. The market in North America is estimated to expand at a rapid pace in the near future, primarily due to structured reimbursement policies, increase in prevalence of obesity & cardiovascular diseases, developed health care infrastructure, and continuous research activities in developing advanced technologies in North America.
- Lysosomal disease treatments market in Asia Pacific is projected to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period. This can be attributed to growing trend of preventive health care measures.
Expanding Operations in Future? To Get the Perfect Launch Ask for a Custom Lysosomal Disease Treatments Market Report
Key Players Operating in Global Market
The global lysosomal disease treatments market is highly concentrated due to the presence of a few key players. Several manufacturers hold major share of the market in their respective regions. Leading players operating in the global lysosomal disease treatments market are:
- Shire PLC
- Pfizer, Inc.
- BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc.
- Actelion Ltd.
- Raptor Pharmaceutical Corp.
- Protalix Biotherapeutics Inc.
- Amicus Therapeutics, Inc.
Global Lysosomal Disease Treatments Market: Research Scope
Global Lysosomal Disease Treatments Market, by Indication
- Aucher's Diseases
- Fabry Diseases
- Pompe’s Syndrome
Global Lysosomal Disease Treatments Market, by Type of Therapy
- Enzyme Replacement Therapy
- Stem Cell Therapy
- Substrate Reduction Therapy
Global Lysosomal Disease Treatments Market, by End-user
Global Lysosomal Disease Treatments Market, by Region
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.