Lymphatic Filariasis Treatment: Introduction
- Lymphatic filariasis is an infectious tropical disease caused by parasitic round worms, i.e. Wuchereria bancrofti and Brugia malayi. Bancroftian lymphatic filariasis affects both the legs and the genitals. Brugia malayi affects the legs below the knees. This disease spreads through the bites of infected mosquitos. Mosquito-transmitted larvae are deposited on the skin, from where they can enter the body. The larvae then enter into the lymphatic vessels, where they develop into adult worms, thereby continuing a cycle of transmission.
- In the early stages of the infection, the patient shows symptoms such as fever, headaches, chills, and skin lesions. If the disease is left untreated, obstruction of the lymph flow will cause swelling in the legs and external genitals.
- Lymphatic filariasis is a common disease in the tropical regions of the world. The organism W. bancrofti is present across Asia, Africa, China, and South America. B. malayi is found in South and Southeast Asia. Lymphatic filariasis is extremely rare in North America and occurs only when these organisms are imported from tropical regions.
Key Drivers of Global Lymphatic Filariasis Treatment Market
- Increase in incidence of lymphatic filariasis in tropical areas and rise in awareness programs by the WHO for the treatment of lymphatic filariasis are projected to boost the growth of the global lymphatic filariasis treatment market. According to the World Health Organization, in 2018, around 120 million people suffered from lymphatic filariasis and 40 million people were disfigured by the disease. The World Health Organization launched a global program to eliminate lymphatic filariasis in 2000. This program comprises two key strategies: mass drug administration to prevent infection and management of morbidity and prevention of disability.
- Major pharmaceutical companies focus on the design and development of new treatment options for this disease. For instance, AbbVie, Inc. has one innovative product, i.e. ABBV-4083, in pipeline (phase I) for treatment of lymphatic filariasis. Additionally, increase in government initiatives and rise in awareness about lymphatic filariasis among the general population fuel the growth of the global lymphatic filariasis treatment market. Moreover, rise in health care funding and improving health care facilities contribute to the growth of the global lymphatic filariasis treatment market.
- Late symptoms of the disease and less treatment options available are likely to restrain the lymphatic filariasis treatment market during the forecast period
Diethylcarbamazine Segment to Witness High Demand
- Based on drug type, the global lymphatic filariasis treatment market can be classified into diethylcarbamazine, doxycycline, and others
- The diethylcarbamazine segment accounted for the largest share of the global lymphatic filariasis treatment market in 2019. The segment is expected to dominate the global market due to increase in use of diethylcarbamazine in the treatment of lymphatic filariasis and focus of major manufacturers on the launch of new products containing diethylcarbamazine for treatment of lymphatic filariasis.
Hospital Pharmacies to be Most Promising Segment
- In terms of distribution channel, the global lymphatic filariasis treatment market can be divided into hospital pharmacies, retail pharmacies, and online pharmacies. Hospital pharmacies was the largest segment in terms of revenue in 2019 and is anticipated to witness strong growth during the forecast period due to increase in number of patients with lymphatic filariasis who require hospital visit.
Asia Pacific to Dominate Global Lymphatic Filariasis Treatment Market
- In terms of region, the global lymphatic filariasis treatment market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific dominated the global lymphatic filariasis treatment market in 2019 and the trend is expected to continue during the forecast period. Large number of patients with lymphatic filariasis, early adoption of new products, and presence of major manufacturers are likely to fuel the growth of the lymphatic filariasis treatment market in Asia Pacific.
- The market in Middle East & Africa is projected to witness significant growth during the forecast period, owing to increase in new product launch and rise in demand for lymphatic filariasis treatment in emerging countries such as South Africa and others
Key Players Operating in Global Market
The global lymphatic filariasis treatment market was highly fragmented in 2019. Key players operating in the global market are:
- Anacor Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- AbbVie, Inc.
- Eisai Co., Ltd.
- GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- Wyeth Limited
- Cyper Pharma
- RND Laboratories Private Limited
- Other Prominent Players
Global Lymphatic Filariasis Treatment Market: Research Scope
Global Lymphatic Filariasis Treatment Market, by Drug Type
Global Lymphatic Filariasis Treatment Market, by Distribution Channel
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies
- Online Pharmacies
Global Lymphatic Filariasis Treatment Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.