Global Long-read Sequencing Market: Overview
- Long-read sequencing, also known as third-generation sequencing, is a class of DNA sequencing method. Long-read technologies are helping to overcome the early limitations in accuracy, throughput, and broadening their application in genomics.
- Long-read sequencing offers a number of advantages over short-read sequencing. Short-read sequencers such as Illumina’s NovaSeq, HiSeq produce read up to 600 bases of DNA, while long-read sequencing technologies can generate read more than 10,000 bases. Moreover, long-reads can improve genome assembly, mapping certainty, transcript isoform identification, and detection of structural variants of DNA.
- Wider use of such long-read sequencing technologies in the clinical context may rapidly improve the understanding of cancer, pathogen evolution, drug resistance, and genetic diversity in complex regions of the genome that have important implications for clinical care.
Key Drivers and Restraint of Global Long-read Sequencing Market
- Long-read sequencing technologies are rapidly moving toward the support of high resolution histocompatibility leucocyte antigen (HLA) typing for transplant registries in certain regions as high resolution typing potentially provides better matching of organs and clinical outcomes of patients undergoing transplantation show good results.
- Using long-range PCR amplicons with barcoding and long-read technology also allows better description of genes from pseudogenes, such as for sequencing PKD1 for diagnosing autosomal-dominant polycystic kidney disease, for which diagnostic accuracy of NGS technologies has been limited and this drives the demand for long-read sequencing.
- However, higher cost per base relative to short read sequencing is one of the factors that are restraining the market.
North America to Account for Major Share of Global Long-read Sequencing Market
- In terms of region, the global long-read sequencing market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and Rest of World. North America is expected to dominate the global market during the forecast period.
- North America is projected to account for a significant share of the global market due to availability of well-defined reimbursement policies from public and private health insurance firms which help provide the patients easy access of diagnosis and extensive research & development activities.
- Asia Pacific is expected to contribute to a substantial share of the market in terms of revenue during the forecast period due to the emergence of the region as a major manufacturing hub and rising expertise and academic excellence in the region.
Key Players Operating in Global Long-read Sequencing Market
Major players operating in the global long-read sequencing market include:
- Pacific Biosciences of California, Inc.
- Oxford Nanopore Technologies
- Quantapore, Inc.
- Stratos Genomics.
- FG Technologies
- Genexa AG
Global Long-read Sequencing Market: Research Scope
Global Long-read Sequencing Market, by Technology
- Single-molecule Real Time Sequencing (PacBio)
- Nanopore Sequencing.
Global Long-read Sequencing Market, by Application
- Diseases Diagnosis
Global Long-read Sequencing Market, by End-user
- Biotechnologies and Pharmaceutical Companies
- Academic and Research Institutes
Global Long-read Sequencing Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa