Lithium Tantalate Crystal Market – 'Need for Speed' to Create Huge Opportunities in the Telecommunication Industry
New applications on the horizon for lithium tantalate crystal, meaning new revenue streams!
According to the findings of a recently published research report by Transparency Market Research (TMR), the global lithium tantalate crystal market is progressively gaining sheen by getting a hold of the traditional applications of quartz and lithium niobate. Lithium tantalate crystals will take over the telecommunication world due to the ever-growing need for increased bandwidth to facilitate cloud computing, data transfer, and data storage.
Growth will also unfold from the pronounced trend of using lithium tantalate crystals in acoustic wave devices for the manufacturing of electrical components. Zoomed in focus towards energy harvesting is likely to spectate high reliance on lithium tantalate crystals. However, it may be interesting to know that, despite the first synthesizing of lithium tantalate crystals being done in Russia, Asia Pacific will hold on to a massive slice of the market share, with the high demand for these crystals in numerous applications in the electronics and telecommunication industry.
Though the lithium tantalate crystal market holds a steady growth potential, the complex production process incurring high costs is likely to pose as a challenge. All in all, the lithium tantalate crystal market is all set to record a compound annual growth rate of 5.5% during the forecast period of 2019-2027, with the telecommunication industry being the key revenue pocket for this market.
Planning to lay down future strategy? Perfect your plan with our report brochure here
What Sets Lithium Tantalate Crystals Apart from the Pack
While quartz has been the default crystal for the optical, telecommunication, semiconductor, construction, and electronics industries for a long time, growing focus on lithium tantalate crystals can be highly attributed to their distinguishing characteristics. When compared to quartz, lithium tantalate crystals possess larger electro-mechanical coupling, as they exhibit useful cuts for longitudinal and shear wave mode transducers. Since the telecommunication industry demands broad bandwidth, lithium tantalate crystals are gaining the attention of manufacturers for the development of acoustic resonator filters.
Another crystal exhibiting near-LiTaO3-like properties is lithium niobate (LiNbO3). Both, lithium tantalate crystals and lithium niobate crystals are developed using the Czochralski method for yielding large and high-quality single crystals. However, lithium tantalate crystals are fast replacing lithium niobate crystals, in light of their unique electro-optical, pyroelectric, and piezoelectric properties with a high optical damage threshold. This makes LiTaO3 highly suitable for the development of surface acoustic wave (SAW) substrates, optical waveguides, pyroelectric detectors, and electro-optical modulators, among others.
Want to know the obstructions to your company’s growth in future? Request a PDF sample here
In Focus: Surface Acoustic Wave (SAW) Devices and Asia Pacific
Manufacturers in the electronics and telecommunication industries are striving to position their products in prominent light, with speedy transmission, storage, and receiving of data being the key attractive proposition. As the need for integrating a better non-linear optical material with higher efficiency in electronic circuits and transmission channels increases, the lithium tantalate crystal industry is likely to be at the center of these innovative devices. However, a significant share of the market will be routed from the growing applications of surface acoustic wave (SAW) devices.
Currently, acoustic wave devices account for ~ 55% share of lithium tantalate crystal sales, as manufacturers of consumer electronics seek materials with versatile characteristics for fluid measurements, geophysics, televisions, laptops, and similar smart devices. As the effectiveness of optical communication gains traction, lithium tantalate crystals are exploited as substrates for the development of electro-optical devices such as directional couplers, scanners, modulators, Q switches, and spatial light modulators. The demand for electro-optical devices is likely to increase exponentially, approaching a lucrative juncture for the lithium crystal devices market during the forecast period of 2019-2027.
The increasing demand for high-end electronic devices in Asia Pacific will offer a fillip to the growing lithium tantalate crystal industry. Increasing focus on offering cutting-edge smartphones, tablets, desktops, and laptops has enthused manufacturers to move past the limited efficiency of quartz towards lithium tantalate crystals, which hold the potential to unlock revenue streams from the semiconductor industry during the coming years, and, in turn, revamp the future opportunities for the telecommunication industry.
Looking for exclusive market insights from business experts? Request a Custom Report here
High Internet Bandwidth Requirements to Speed Up Market Growth
As the 'need for speed' in the telecommunication industry drives a shift towards effective materials, the future of the lithium tantalate crystal landscape seems propitious with the growing demand for high-speed Internet for small and large-scale applications, and Internet of Things (IoT) technology making its debut in consumers’ space. A perpetual rise in the demand for communication networks with broad bandwidths will uphold the demand for lithium tantalate crystals in base stations. The rollout of 5G networks, in turn, holds the key to enormous sales for the landscape. Initiatives taken by governments to digitalize cities under 'Smart City' projects are leading to an uptick in the deployment of broadband networks.
As the world looks at the emergence of optical fibers as a revolution to communication systems with minimum data loss, futuristic applications of lithium tantalate crystals will revolve around the development of optical cables. Overall, the lithium tantalate crystal market is likely to record a value of ~ US$ 790 million in 2027.
How Market Players Can Position Themselves Better
The lithium tantalate crystal market witnesses moderate competition, with 25-35% of the share held by leading players - Sumitomo Metal Mining Co., Ltd and Shin-Etsu Chemical Co., Ltd. Leading companies focus on strengthening their presence in overseas territories, and Asia Pacific, North America, and Europe are lucrative regions for the lithium tantalate crystal market. Huge investments are also made on research and development activities to develop products and broaden their offering capacities.
A majority of lithium tantalate crystal manufacturers also develop lithium niobate crystals, thereby, creating a low threat of substitutes. However, as these crystals are increasingly replacing traditionally-used crystals such as quartz and lithium niobate, manufacturers can prioritize their investments towards the development of lithium tantalate with enhanced capabilities. Since the production process of lithium tantalate crystals is complex and requires high working capital, manufacturers can expend efforts towards the development of cost-effective products. Investments in developing countries will remain profitable with control on the overhead costs.
- According to Transparency Market Research’s latest market report on the global lithium tantalate crystal market for the historical year 2017 and the forecast period of 2019–2027, the rising demand for lithium tantalate crystals in the telecommunications sector and the increasing use of electro-optical devices are expected to drive the global lithium tantalate crystal market during the forecast period.
- In terms of revenue, the global lithium tantalate crystal market is estimated to reach a value of ~ US$ 510 Mn by the end of 2019, expanding at a CAGR of 5.5% throughout the forecast period.
Varied Benefits Offered by Lithium Tantalate Crystals Over Other Crystals a Key Market Driver
- Lithium tantalate crystals possess a combination of electro-optical, acoustic, piezoelectric and non-linear optical properties. These properties make lithium tantalate crystals suitable for use in a wide range of applications such as SAW devices, telecommunications equipment, and other optical devices.
- Compared to quartz, lithium tantalate has a much stronger electromechanical coupling and a higher number of zero-temperature coefficient cuts of resonant frequency. As a result, it is used in communications for acoustic resonator filters of high bandwidths.
Increasing Use in Telecommunications - Latest Trend being Adopted by Key Market Players
- Lithium tantalate is an indispensable material for important components of telecommunication devices. The increasing usage of IoT and 5G technologies has augmented the global lithium tantalate crystal market.
- Lithium tantalate crystals are used in communication devices such as mobiles and base stations (for high-speed communication), and other IoT-based devices.
- For instance, lithium tantalate crystals of 42° and 36° cuts witness widespread adoption in mobile phone handsets at frequencies ranging from 800 to 2100 MHz.
High Costs to Pose a Major Challenge to the Lithium Tantalate Crystal Market
- Lithium tantalate crystals are available in different dimensions and cuts. The cost of a lithium tantalate crystal varies depending upon its dimension. More the dimension of the crystal, higher is the cost associated with it.
- Also, the complex production of lithium tantalate crystals by using the Czochralski process restricts the market. However, new production processes are being in developed to reduce the cost of lithium tantalate crystals.
Global Lithium Tantalate Crystal Market: Competition Landscape
- Detailed profiles of the manufacturers of lithium tantalate crystals have been provided in the report to evaluate their financials, key product offerings, recent developments, and strategies.
- Key players operating in the global lithium tantalate crystal market are -
- Precision Micro-Optics Inc.
- Korth Kristalle GmbH
- Castech Inc.
- Hangzhou Freqcontrol Electronic Technology Ltd.
- Sumitomo Metal Mining Co., Ltd.
- Shin-Etsu Chemical Co., Ltd
- Yamaju Ceramics Co., Ltd.
- American Elements
- United Crystals
- Del Mar Photonoics Inc.
- Oxide Corporation
Global Lithium Tantalate Crystal Market: Key Developments
Key manufacturers operating in the global lithium tantalate crystal market, such as Castec Inc. and Shin-Etsu Chemical Co., Ltd, are strengthening their market position by improving product quality and expanding their business. Certain key developments in the global lithium tantalate crystal market are as follows:
- In October 2017, Castech Inc. announced the launch of a new production line for the laser and telecom industries. This production line consists of electro-optical switches, isolators, and collimators. The move is estimated to widen the company’s product portfolio and complement its existing strengths in the fields of telecom and lasers.
- Shin-Etsu Chemical Co. Ltd. is planning to increase its focus on the expansion of its existing facilities. Moreover, it is planning to construct manufacturing bases across the world in order to develop a wider sales network.
In the report on the global lithium tantalate crystal market, we have discussed the individual strategies of the manufacturers of lithium tantalate crystals, followed by their company profiles. The ‘Competition Landscape’ section has been included in the report to provide readers with a dashboard view and company market share analysis of the key players operating in the global lithium tantalate crystal market.
Transparency Market Research (TMR), in its recently published research report, brings to the fore actionable intelligence regarding the growth of the lithium tantalate crystal market for the forecast period of 2019-2027. The global business study covers rare and distinguished intelligence pertaining to the growth influencers of the lithium tantalate crystal market. With the help of this exclusive guide, stakeholders in the lithium tantalate crystal market can employ well-informed growth strategies for their business advancement.
This exclusive research report offers a comprehensive outlook regarding the changing dynamics of the lithium tantalate crystal market, by determining the crucial drivers, opportunities, restraints, and threats. This comprehensive market study also involves a comprehensive SWOT assessment of the key market players operating in the lithium tantalate crystal market over the course of the forecast period of 2019-2027. This will help readers gain an incisive outlook on the growth of the lithium tantalate crystal market.
The global study analyzes and includes Porter’s Five Forces analysis, with a view to present crucial growth strategies and underlying opportunities available in the lithium tantalate crystal market. This global market study also sheds light on the crucial trends and notable developments that stimulate the value of the lithium-ion battery market during the forecast period of 2019-2027.
This exclusive research report offers detailed estimation pertaining to the competitive landscape. The global market study provides key information regarding the key competitors in the lithium tantalate crystal market, along with their key strategies, financials, and products, which can help stakeholders in gaining key insights into the lithium tantalate crystal market. The lithium-ion battery market assessment has been carried out in terms of value (US$ Mn).
Lithium Tantalate Crystal Market - Key Questions Answered
An exclusive research report published by Transparency Market Research (TMR) provides actionable intelligence pertaining to the growth of the lithium tantalate crystal market, through which stakeholders in the market can gain an upper hand over their competitors. Authors of the report analyze the lithium tantalate crystal market, and offer data and numbers that can back up the influential trends and key developments observed in the industry. The study addresses the key questions of stakeholders in the lithium-ion battery market.
- What are the key developments expected to take place in the lithium tantalate crystal market during the period of 2019-2027?
- What are the significant winning strategies for players in the lithium tantalate crystal market?
- Which grade will remain preferable for the end users of lithium tantalate crystals?
- What are the key trends shaping the growth of the lithium tantalate crystal market?
- Which application segment will bode lucrative growth opportunities for the lithium tantalate crystal market?
Lithium Tantalate Crystal Market – Research Methodology
The research undertaken by TMR’s analysts consists of a systematic approach, including both, primary and secondary research. For conducting primary research, interviews and discussions were carried out with industry experts, key opinion leaders, vendors, and distributors. This helps in assessing the demand-supply gap prevailing in the lithium tantalate crystal market.
In order to conduct secondary research, marketing collaterals, company websites, industry associations, and government statistics were studied. Insights obtained through primary and secondary research were then authenticated with the data triangulation method.
Lithium Tantalate Crystal Market - Segmentation
In order to offer a macroscopic as well as a microscopic view of the lithium-ion battery market, authors of this detailed research report have branched the market on the basis of grade, application, and region. This global research report also analyzes the incremental opportunity available in the lithium tantalate crystal market. Key segments of the lithium tantalate crystal market are as mentioned below:
Acoustic Wave Devices
Middle East & Africa