Lentiviral Vectors: Introduction
- Lentiviral vectors are used as a medium to transfer foreign genetic element into another cell. These vectors are produced from lentivirus, which is defined by its long incubation period and can contaminate dividing and non-dividing cells. Lentiviral are vectors that are descended from the virus, known as human immunodeficiency virus, and used to transport genes in the cells, such as mammalian cells. Such vectors are highly capable vehicles for gene delivery for gene treatments.
- Lentiviral vectors are utilized in the treatment of various type diseases including HIV, Alzheimer’s disease and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, β-thalassemia, sickle cell disease, Metachromatic Leukodystrophy, X-linked Adrenoleukodystrophy, and Wiskott-Aldrich Syndrome
Key Drivers of Global Lentiviral Vectors Market
- Increase in research & development expenditure on lentiviral vectors from key market players is a major factor driving the global lentiviral vectors market. Increase in prevalence of diseases such as HIV, Alzheimer’s disease, and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, β-thalassemia, and sickle cell disease is likely to drive the lentiviral vector market during the forecast period. According to World Health Organization, around 38 million people are living with HIV by globally.
- Major market players are focused on inorganic growth strategies such as collaborations and agreements for design and development of new products. For instance, in October 2020, AVROBIO, Inc. signed a worldwide license agreement and a collaborative research funding agreement with The University of Manchester for an investigational lentiviral gene therapy for mucopolysaccharidosis type II (MPS II), or Hunter syndrome. In June 2019, Servier Laboratories signed a collaboration agreement with Yposkesi, Inc. for the development of more novel and innovative vectors.
First-generation lentiviral vectors segment to be highly promising
- Based on product type, the global lentiviral vectors market can be segmented into first generation, second generation, and third generation
- The first generation lentiviral vector segment accounted for a prominent share of the global lentiviral vectors market in 2019. The segment is expected to dominate the lentiviral vectors market, as it is used in the treatment of various type of diseases. First-generation lentiviral vectors contained a significant portion of the HIV genome, including the gag and pol genes as well as several additional viral proteins.
HIV segment to expand significantly
- In terms of disease indication, the global lentiviral vectors market can be divided into HIV, β-thalassemia, X-linked Adrenoleukodystrophy, Metachromatic Leukodystrophy, and Wiskott-Aldrich Syndrome. HIV was a prominent segment, in terms of revenue, in 2019. It is anticipated to expand significantly during the forecast period.
- Increase in number of patients with HIV in developed as well as developing region is likely to drive the segment. According to World Health Organization, around 141,552 people were diagnosed with HIV in Europe in 2018.
Hospitals segment to expand considerably
- In terms of end-user, the global lentiviral vectors market can be divided into hospitals, clinics and research institute. The hospitals segment accounted for a prominent share of the market, in terms of revenue, in 2019. It is anticipated to expand considerably during the forecast period. Increase in number of patients with HIV, Alzheimer’s disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, β-thalassemia, and sickle cell disease that visit hospitals is likely to boost the segment during the forecast period.
North America to dominate global lentiviral vectors market
- In terms of region, the global lentiviral vectors market can be categorized into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America dominated the global lentiviral vectors market in 2019. It is expected to maintain its leading position during the forecast period. Dominance of the region can be attributed to an increase in patients with major chronic diseases such as HIV, cancer, neurological disorders, hematological disorders, and rising number of research and development programs.
- The market in Asia Pacific is projected to expand at a significantly high growth rate during the forecast period, owing to the launch of new products and increase in demand for new treatment options for the treatment of diseases such as HIV, cancer, and Alzheimer’s disease
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Market
The global lentiviral vectors market was highly fragmented in 2019. Key manufacturers operating in the global market are:
- Thermo Fisher Scientific
- Sirion-Biotech GmbH
- Vigene Biosciences
- OriGene Technologies, Inc.
- SignaGen Laboratories
- Sino Biological Inc.
- Takara Bio Inc.
- Cell Biolabs, Inc.
- GenTarget Inc.
- bluebird bio, Inc.
Lentiviral Vectors Market: Research Scope
Lentiviral Vectors Market, by Product Type
- First Generation
- Second Generation
- Third Generation
Lentiviral Vectors Market, by Disease Indication
- X-linked Adrenoleukodystrophy
- Metachromatic Leukodystrophy
- Wiskott-Aldrich Syndrome
Lentiviral Vectors Market, by End-user
- Research Institutes
Lentiviral Vectors Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.