Lead-free Solder Paste: Introduction
- Lead-free solder paste is used to connect lead on surface mounted integrated circuit chips to the attachment points on printed circuits boards. Lead is generally applied as a paste through a stencil or dispensing tubes on lead on printed circuit boards. This is followed by heating the paste for it to melt and fuse the connection.
- Demand for smart electronics products, such as smartphones and tablets, computer motherboards, consumer electronic products, and network servers, has been rising. This is expected to drive the global lead-free solder paste market.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Lead-free Solder Paste Market
- Governments of several countries across the globe are emphasizing on the substitution of lead solders due to their toxic nature. This is estimated to drive the lead-free solder paste market.
- Lead-free solder paste is a suspension of solder particles in a solder flux. It is widely utilized in electronic assembly materials. Printed circuit boards are also used in electronic components that are incorporated in automotive, marine vehicles, and aerospace industries.
- Lead-free solder paste is made from tin alloy. However, currently, the price of tin material is varying, due to significant demand from alloy industries. This is hampering the global lead-free solder paste market.
- Lead-free solder paste possesses high melting temperature. This is likely to result in undesired stress during reflow processing. This could cause defects in the joint. Therefore, various new alternatives for lead-free solder pastes such as nanoparticle-based solder materials have been introduced in the market.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
- The coronavirus outbreak has adversely impacted the most of the major industries, including printed circuit board (PCB), due to the disruption in supply chain of components and materials
- Governments of various countries have imposed stringent lockdowns to limit the spread of the coronavirus. As a result, transportation and manufacturing activities declined sharply. Many outbound sailings were also cancelled, due to a shortage of manpower. This has disrupted the supply chain of raw materials & components, and slowed down the production of a printed circuit boards (PCBs). Decrease in production of PCBs is hampering the demand for lead-free solder paste, as this paste is extensively used in PCBs.
Printed Circuit Board Application Segment to Hold Prominent Share of Global Market
- The global lead-free solder paste market can be segmented based on application, end-user, and region
- Based on application, the global lead-free solder paste market can be segregated into wire board, printed circuit board, surface mounting, and others. In terms of revenue, the printed circuit board segment is estimated to hold significant share of the market during the forecast period. It is anticipated to maintain its attractiveness during the forecast period. Lead-free solder paste is used in PCBs, as it removes dirt from metal surfaces. Thus, it offers superior solder bond surface.
- Based on end-user, the global lead-free solder paste market can be segregated into electrical & electronics, automotive, medical, military, and others
Asia Pacific Expected to Constitute Major Share of Global Lead-free Solder Paste Market
- In terms of region, the global lead-free solder paste market can be divided into Middle East & Africa, Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe, and North America
- Asia Pacific accounted for major share of the global lead-free solder paste market in 2020. The lead-free solder paste market in Asia Pacific is expanding significantly, primarily due to expansion of electronics and automotive industries in the region, primarily in China and India.
- Rise in FDIs in automotive and electronics industries in developing countries of Asia Pacific is a key factor that is likely to fuel the market in the region during the forecast period
- The lead-free solder paste market in North America is primarily driven by the expansion of the electronics refurbishing industry. Furthermore, key players are focused on the development of new methods to produce advanced solder materials, such as Sn-Bi-Ag alloy, which decrease the key thermal excursion during electronic assembly.
- The market in Europe and Middle East & Africa is expected to expand at a significant pace during the forecast period, owing to expansion of automotive and electronics industries in these regions
Key Players Operating in Global Market
- The global lead-free solder paste market is fragmented with top manufacturers accounting for approximately 20% to 30% share. Major players operating in the lead-free solder paste market include:
- Senju Metal Industry
- FCT Solder
- MacDermid Alpha Electronics Solutions
- Tongfang Tech
- Huaqing Solder
- Chengxing Group
- Indium Corporation
Global Lead-free Solder Paste Market: Research Scope
Global Lead-free Solder Paste Market, by Application
- Wire Board
- Printed Circuit Board (PCB)
- Surface Mounting
Global Lead-free Solder Paste Market, by End-user
- Electrical & Electronics
Global Lead-free Solder Paste Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Disclaimer: This ongoing market research study is a meticulously planned activity where a broad array of factors and aspects that shape the marketing environment and industry are taken into account. However, keeping in mind the constantly changing nature of business dynamics and changing strategic intents, we are always actively making iterations and modifications in our approaches. As always, we are ready to tailor our insights and guidance to suit your requirements. Engage with us to know what more is there for your CXOs.