Laryngeal Mask Market: Introduction
Laryngeal mask airway (LMA) is a commonly used supraglottic airway. The LMA is an orally introduced supraglottic airway tube with a cuffed mask at one end that forms a low-pressure seal around the laryngeal inlet. LMA ventilation has several advantages over other methods. Laryngeal mask is a single-use or reusable supraglottic airway device that may be used as a temporary method to maintain an open airway.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Laryngeal Mask Market
- Rise in incidence of chronic pulmonary disease boost the market. According to new estimates by the World Health Organization, COPD is predicted to become the third-leading cause of death by 2030. As per the British Lung Foundation, the number of people who have ever had a diagnosis of COPD has increased by 27% in the last decade, from under 1,600 to nearly 2,000 per 100,000. The U.K. is among the top 20 countries for COPD mortality worldwide. In Europe, only Denmark and Hungary have higher death rates for COPD, while rates are higher in the U.S. and New Zealand as compared to that in the U.K. This, in turn, fuels the need for surgical procedures. Hence, an increase in the incidence of chronic disorders that require surgeries is a key driver of the global laryngeal masks market.
- Continuous technological advancement in anesthesia technology propel the market. Manufacturers in the industry are achieving innovation in patient care through integration of enhanced patient monitors, innovative parameters, wireless devices, and workflows and integrated IT solutions. LMA ventilation is a method to provide rescue ventilation to unconscious patients or patients without a gag reflex. Moreover, this method is technically easier than most other effective ventilatory methods. In January, 2017, Teleflex Corporation launched LMA Gastro Airway with Cuff Pilot technology, a laryngeal mask that facilitates esophageal access and promotes airway control during endoscopic procedures in adults.
- Harmful effects of certain products and usage may hamper the market. The distal tip of the collar on the laryngeal mask airway may occasionally roll-upwards on insertion, which may hinder optimal placement. Forceful insertion may cause abrasion of the pharyngeal tissues or bleeding. Insufflation of the stomach may occur. Laryngeal mask airway is not a good primary airway device in morbidly obese patients, as those patients do require higher positive airway pressures that may produce leaks around the LMA cuff.
Disposable Segment to Expand Significantly
- Based on type, the global laryngeal mask market can be divided into disposable and reusable
- The reusable segment dominated the global laryngeal mask market in 2019. It is projected to maintain its position during the forecast period due to lower operational cost as compared to disposable masks.
- However, the disposable segment is anticipated to expand at a higher CAGR during the forecast period due to low cost and user preference owing to the risk factors associated with reusable laryngeal masks
Hospitals Segment to Dominate Global Laryngeal Mask Market
- Based on end-user, the global laryngeal mask market can be segregated into hospitals, clinics, ambulatory surgical centers, and others
- In terms of revenue, the hospitals segment accounted for a major share of the market in 2019, followed by the ambulatory surgical centers (ASC) segment. Majority of surgeries are performed in hospitals, as they possesses integrated healthcare facilities and technologically advanced infrastructures. According to CDC data, an estimated 25.7 million ambulatory surgery procedures were performed in hospitals, and 22.5 million were performed in ASCs in 2017.
North America to Dominate Global Laryngeal Mask Market
- In terms of region, the global laryngeal mask market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America accounts for a prominent share of the global laryngeal mask market in 2019. A rise is in the number of chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases patients worldwide and surge in the number of surgeries and intra operative procedures have propelled the global laryngeal mask market. Moreover, a rise in the geriatric population in the U.S. has led to a corresponding rise in the number of surgeries in the country. The American Society of Anestheologists (ASA) estimated a total of 40 million anesthetics being administered each year in the country.
- The market in Asia Pacific is projected to expand at a notable CAGR during the forecast period. A significant rise in the geriatric population in Japan has boosted the demand for respiratory and anesthesia related products. Rise in respiratory diseases has boost the market for respiratory devices in developing countries of this region.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Market
The global laryngeal mask market was highly fragmented in 2019. Key manufacturers operating in the global market are:
- Ambu A/S.
- Teleflex Incorporated
- Intersurgical Ltd
- Medline Industries, Inc.
- KindWell Medical
- Legend Medical Devices, Inc.
- Health Business Corp.
- ASID BONZ GmbH
- VOGT MEDICAL
Laryngeal Mask Market: Research Scope
Laryngeal Mask Market, by Type
Laryngeal Mask Market, by End-user
- Ambulatory Surgical Centers
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.