Juvenile Macular Degeneration Treatment: Introduction
- Juvenile macular dystrophy, also known as juvenile macular degeneration, refers collectively to a group of rare and genetic inherited eye disorders that can affect children and young adults. Juvenile macular dystrophy involves the deterioration of the eye’s macula; however, it is different from age-related macular degeneration (AMD). AMD occurs as part of the body’s natural aging process and affects older adults; however, juvenile macular dystrophy is an inherited condition, which primarily targets the vision of children, teens, and young adults.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Juvenile Macular Degeneration Treatment Market
- Increase in R&D activities, rise in number of patients suffering from diseases, and rapid expansion of health care and biopharmaceutical industries in developed and developing countries are anticipated to propel the global advancements in therapies in the juvenile macular degeneration treatment market during the forecast period. In June 2018, Lin BioScience granted orphan drug designation to LBS-008, a first-in-class oral therapy, for the treatment of Stargardt Disease by the European Medicines Agency.
- Juvenile macular degeneration is currently an untreatable inherited condition that causes permanent vision loss in children during childhood and adolescence. Stargardt disease is the most common form of juvenile macular degeneration that affects approximately 37,000 individuals in the U.S. and 66,000 in the EU. Currently, there is no approved treatment for Stargardt patients. The disease is caused due accelerated formation and accumulation of toxic vitamin A dimers in the retina caused due mutation in the ABCA4 gene, which cause progressive retinal cell death. Consequently, this process eventually leads to legal blindness with only peripheral vision remaining.
- Increase in the number of eye care centers has been recorded, since primary eye care is presently taken care of in optical shops. New optical shops have the latest technological devices that improve user friendliness. Rise in the number of optical shops, eye care centers, and hospitals has increased the availability of treatment.
- In terms of end-user, the global juvenile macular degeneration treatment market can be categorized into hospitals, ophthalmic clinics, and ambulatory surgical centers. The hospitals segment accounted for a major share of the global macular degeneration treatment market. The segment is likely to maintain its leading position during the forecast period. A large population prefers to visit a hospital first rather than an ophthalmic clinic for treatment, as the cost of therapy at a hospital is lower. An ambulatory surgical center is a relatively less preferred option for the treatment of AMD.
Asia Pacific to Lead Global Juvenile Macular Degeneration Treatment Market
- In terms of geography, the global juvenile macular degeneration treatment market can be segmented into five key regions: North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. North America and Europe are expected to hold major share of the global juvenile macular degeneration treatment market during the forecast period, owing to developed health care infrastructure and large patient population along with increasing technological development in these regions.
- Increase in government intervention in emerging markets has led to a rise in awareness about diseases and improvement in health care infrastructure. Additionally, socioeconomic development has been observed in emerging economies such as Asia, Africa, and Latin America. These factors contribute to the overall increase in spending capacity of the population. Moreover, an increase in the foreign direct investment has been observed in these countries. This has led to various international players who are presently entering into these markets
Key Players Operating in Global Juvenile Macular Degeneration Treatment Market
Manufacturers in the global juvenile macular degeneration treatment market are increasingly investing in research & development of new and innovative drugs such as Alkeus Pharma's lead compound, ALK-001; Katairo GmbH lead product, Remofuscin; Gene Therapy to Activate ABCA4 for Stargardt Disease and Recombinant Enzyme for Age Related Macular Degeneration and Stargardt Disease. These players are also focused on offering highly efficient and patient compliant products.
Leading companies operating in the global juvenile macular degeneration treatment market are:
- Astellas Pharma Inc
- Alkeus Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Biophytis SA
- ProQR Therapeutics NV
- Copernicus Therapeutics Inc
- Generation Bio Corp
- Grupo Ferrer Internacional SA
- Katairo GmbH
- WAVE Life Sciences Ltd
- Lin Bioscience, Inc.
- Acucela Inc
- Nightstar Therapeutics PLC
- Ophthotech Corp
- Spark Therapeutics Inc
Global Juvenile Macular Degeneration Treatment Market: Research Scope
Global Juvenile Macular Degeneration Treatment Market, by Type
- Stargardt’s disease
- Best Disease
- Juvenile Retinoschisis
Global Juvenile Macular Degeneration Treatment Market, by End-user
- Ophthalmic clinics
- Ambulatory surgical centers
Global Juvenile Macular Degeneration Treatment Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.