Growing Prominence of Ion Implantation Machines in Specialized Telescopes and Image Sensors
There is increasing demand for thin mirrors in space telescopes and X-ray telescopes to achieve high optical throughput. Advancements in the ion implantation machine landscape have helped achieve the accurate fabrication of thin mirrors. Ion implantation machines are used as a non-uniform integrated stress compensation (NISC) method to reduce coating stress by controlling deposition parameters, which lowers reflectivity. Thus, market players in the ion implantation machine landscape should innovate on compressive film stress in silicon mirrors for space telescopes and X-ray telescopes.
The ion implantation machine market is currently valued at ~US$ 1.4 billion (2018), and is anticipated to grow up to ~US$ 3 billion by the year 2027. Due to the high growth potential of the market, manufacturers are using ion implantation technology to develop image sensors. Metal contamination is a major challenge for extremely sensitive image sensors. That is why manufacturers are overcoming this challenge with the help of plasma shower using radio frequency.
Request a sample to get extensive insights into the Ion Implantation Machine Market
Semiconductivity and Quantum Components Pave the Way for Exponential Growth
The inception of semiconductors is the key driving force for technological development. The global semiconductor market was valued at ~419 billion in 2018, and is anticipated to transform semiconductor materials in the AI-driven (Artificial Intelligence) electronics and IoT (Internet of Things) space in the coming years.
Likewise, modern electronics are based on doped semiconductors. Due to the introduction of innovative electronic devices according to consumer needs, manufacturers in the ion implantation machine landscape are capitalizing on this growing trend. These manufacturers are catering to the needs of stakeholders in the electronics industry to synthesize electronic components with the help of dopant atoms to tailor semiconductivity, based on various applications in electronics.
To understand how our report can bring difference to your business strategy, Ask for a brochure?
Manufacturers in the ion implantation machine landscape are expanding their horizons to innovate on quantum components. This has created opportunities for manufacturers in the healthcare industry. The technology of ion implantation machines is being used to develop novel quantum-based biosensors that will play an important role in improving the study of human brain functions in the quantum and radiological science space. With the development of efficacious quantum components, manufacturers can increase production capacities for novel quantum computers and simulators.
Hybrid Tools and Dosage Control Overcome Technological Limitations
The ion implantation machine market is anticipated to experience steady growth in the coming years. However, manufacturers need to overcome challenges on the technology front.
For instance, the implanter injects dopants vertically into a substrate. However, in many cases, the implanter is required to inject dopants in tough angles, which could miss the target and impact the uniformity and yield of devices. As such, manufacturers are developing next-generation ion implantation machines that are more accurate and provide better dosage control for injecting dopants into substrates.
Another challenge that manufacturers come across is the difficulty of injecting dopants into tiny fins without causing damage. For this, manufacturers are innovating on a range of hybrid tools that combine the advantages of deposition and implantation.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on Ion Implantation Machine Market
Ion implantation machines are being increasingly used for high-temperature silicon carbide capabilities in power devices. Innovation in power devices is expected to trigger incremental opportunities in the automotive, smartphone, and IoT market spaces. Manufacturers are increasing the production of ion implant tools for current and future high-energy ion implanters. They are also securing multiple system orders in high growth regions such as Asia Pacific and North America. However, the technological limitations of ion implantation machines are likely to influence market growth. As such, manufacturers are overcoming the technological limitations with the help of hybrid tools and improved dosage control in machines. Thus, manufacturers can expand their production capabilities for silicon carbide- and gallium nitride-based wide band gap semiconductors used for optoelectronics and high-temperature implanters.
- According to Transparency Market Research’s latest market report on the global ion implantation machine market for the period of 2019–2027 (wherein, the period from 2019 to 2027 is the forecast period and 2018 is the base year), increase in the demand for electronic devices, coupled with growth of the semiconductor industry, is anticipated to propel the ion implantation machine market, worldwide.
- Revenue generated by the global ion implantation machine market is projected to reach ~US$ 3 Bn by 2027, with the market growing at a CAGR of ~8% over the period of forecast.
Increasing Electronic Device Consumption: A Key Driver
- The electronics device market has experienced unprecedented growth in recent years. Rise in the demand for smartphones, laptops, and other electronic gadgets is augmenting the overall demand for electronic devices. This is proliferating the ion implantation machine market. Additionally, recent technologies, such as artificial intelligence, voice recognition, etc., introduced in the market, are driving end consumers to procure electronic devices. Furthermore, replacement cycles and falling prices of several electronic devices are fueling their consumption. Thus, the demand for electronic gadgets will propel the use of semiconductor chips, which, in turn, is anticipated to drive the ion implantation machine market.
Miniaturization of Electronic Circuits to Drive Ion Implantation Machine Market
- The trend and popularity of small and conventional electronic devices is resulting in the miniaturization of electronic circuits. Shrinking sizes of electronic devices are driving manufacturers to employ thinner and complex IC circuits and circuit board prints. This has augmented the demand for advanced ion implant machines, thereby resulting in the growth of the ion implantation machine market.
- Electrical components and devices such as computer microprocessors contain nanometer-level electrical circuits and memory chips. The demand for advanced, high-precision ion implant machines is projected to grow in the near future, owing to the rise in the demand for complex and Nano circuit board prints. Hence, with the increase in the demand for small and complex circuit boards, the use of ion implantation machines in the semiconductor industry is anticipated to grow in the near future, resulting in the overall growth of the ion implantation machine market during the forecast period.
Rapid Technological Advancements to Restrain Ion Implantation Machine Market
- Rapid technological advancements in the semiconductor device fabrication process have been a major challenge for vendors in the global ion implantation machine market. The semiconductor industry is continuously witnessing various transitions, such as the miniaturization of nodes and increase in wafer size in ultra-large-scale integration (ULSI) fabrication technology. The size of silicon wafers has increased from 100 mm to 300 mm, with relatively a small number of implantation equipment suppliers. Manufacturing wafers with a large diameter reduces the cost of manufacturing semiconductor ICs by 20%-25%.
- Such trends have driven manufacturers to remain up-to-date in terms of technological advancements in the manufacturing of ion implant machines. This requires extensive research and development, and thus, investments. This restrains the growth of the ion implantation machine market.
- Since the global ion implantation machine market is driven by technological innovation, equipment that become obsolete, in terms of technology, is less used. This also restrains the growth of the ion implant machine market.
Advent of New Semiconductor Device Fabrication Technology to Offer Growth Opportunities
- New semiconductor device fabrication technologies are anticipated to boost the demand for ion implantation machines. Semiconductor device fabrication technologies such as finFETs and 3D NAND are trending in the ion implantation machine market.
- 3D NAND is a type of flash memory where the memory cells are stacked vertically in multiple layers. Flash manufacturers developed 3D NAND to address the challenges that they encountered in scaling 2D/planar NAND technology to achieve higher densities at a lower cost per bit.
- With the advent of such technologies, the demand for next generation ion implanters providing better precision and better dosage control is increasing. This is anticipated to boost the overall ion implantation market.
Changes in Wafer Size to Augment Ion Implantation Machine Market
- Increase in wafer size to 300 mm is another key trend being witnessed in the global ion implantation machine market. The semiconductor industry is witnessing preference for silicon wafer sizes of 100 mm to 300 mm.
- Wafer sizes with large diameters reduce manufacturing costs. At present, the semiconductor industry has increased the size of the wafers by 25% to 50%. For instance, silicon wafer sizes have increased from 100 mm to 125 mm, 300 mm to 450 mm, etc.
- Change in wafer sizes is resulting in technological changes in ion implant machines. This is fueling the growth of the global ion implantation machine market.
Ion Implantation Machine Market: Competition Landscape
- Detailed profiles of manufacturers in the ion implantation machine market have been provided in the report to evaluate their financials, key product offerings, recent developments, and strategies.
- Key players operating in the global ion implantation machine market include
- Applied Materials, Inc.
- Axcelis Technologies
- Ion Beam Services
- Sumitomo Heavy Industries Ion Technology Co., Ltd.
- INTEVAC, INC.
- Kingstone Semiconductor Joint Stock Company Ltd.
- ULVAC Technologies Inc.
- NISSIN ION EQUIPMENT CO. LTD.
- High Voltage Engineering Europa B.V.
- idonus sarl,
Ion Implantation Machine Market: Key Developments
- Applied Materials, Inc. has introduced an implant applied managed service to improve its productivity. This comprehensive service offering provides 3%–5% increase in tool uptime with an additional 3%–5% increase in productivity hours for high current, medium current, and high-energy Applied Materials VIISta implanters.
Other Key Developments are as Follows:
- In June 2019, Axcelis Technologies, Inc. received its first order for the new Purion XE Power Series implanter from a leading power device manufacturer. The company, in November 2018, received a multiple system order for both, high current and high-energy ion implanters, from a major analog customer in Japan.
- In October 2018, National Nano Device Laboratories (Taiwan) selected 'PULSION Nano' for development of next generation green energy semiconductor devices. Additionally, the company delivered the IBS FLEX ion line of products to two research institutes in China.
- Intevac, Inc., acquired an order for 12 'ENERGi' solar ion implant tools in March 2017, for use at a new 1 GW manufacturing plant to fabricate N-type mono IBC (Interdigitated Back Contact) solar cells and modules. The order was valued at approximately US$ 23 Mn.
Ion Implantation Machine Market: Scope of the Report
A new study on the global ion implantation machine market has been published by Transparency Market Research (TMR). It presents a wealth of information on key market dynamics, including the drivers, market trends, and challenges, as well as the structure of the global ion implantation machine market. TMR’s study offers valuable information about the global ion implantation machine market to illustrate how the market would grow during the forecast period of 2019–2027.
Key indicators of market growth, which include value chain as well as supply chain analyses, and Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR), are elucidated in TMR’s study in a comprehensive manner. This data can help readers interpret the quantitative growth aspects of the global ion implantation machine market for the forecast period.
An extensive analysis on the business strategies of leading market players is also featured in TMR’s study on the global ion implantation machine market. This can help readers understand the principal factors to foresee growth in the global ion implantation machine market. In this study, readers can also find specific data on the qualitative and quantitative growth avenues for the global ion implantation machine market, which is expected to guide market players in making apt decisions in the future.
Key Questions Answered in TMR’s Ion Implantation Machine Market Study
- What are the key factors influencing the ion implantation machine market in each region?
- What will be the CAGR of the global ion implantation machine market between 2017 and 2027?
- What is the future scope and changing trends in technologies in the global ion implantation machine market?
- Which factors will impede the growth of the global ion implantation machine market during the forecast period?
- Which are the leading companies in the global ion implantation machine market?
Research Methodology – Ion Implantation Machine Market
A unique research methodology has been utilized by TMR to conduct a comprehensive research on the growth of the global ion implantation machine market and arrive at conclusions on the future growth prospects of the market. This research methodology is a combination of primary and secondary research, which helps analysts warrant the accuracy and reliability of the drawn conclusions.
Secondary sources referred to by analysts during the production of the global ion implantation machine market report include statistics from company annual reports, SEC filings, company websites, World Bank database, investor presentations, regulatory databases, government publications, and industry white papers. Analysts have also interviewed senior managers, product portfolio managers, CEOs, VPs, and market intelligence managers, who contributed to the production of TMR’s study on the ion implantation machine market as a primary source.
These primary and secondary sources provided exclusive information during interviews, which serves as a validation from ion implantation machine industry leaders. Access to an extensive internal repository and external proprietary databases allows this report to address specific details and questions about the global ion implantation machine market with accuracy. The study also uses the top-down approach to assess the numbers for each segment, and the bottom-up approach to counter-validate them. This has helped in making TMR’s estimates on the future prospects of the global ion implantation machine market more reliable and accurate.
Segmentation of the Ion Implantation Machine Market
TMR’s study on the global ion implantation machine market includes information categorized into three sections - by product, by application, and by region. Changing industry trends and other crucial market dynamics associated with these sections of the ion implantation machine market are discussed in detail.
High Current Implanters
High Energy Implanters
Medium Current Implanters
Others (Plasma Immersion Implanters, Implanters for Photovoltaic Cell Doping, etc.)
Others (Materials Science Research, etc.)