Industrial Wastewater Treatment Technology: Introduction
- The term ‘industrial wastewater treatment’ refers to process used for treating wastewater that is produced by industries as an undesirable by-product. Industrial wastewater usually contains a range of inorganic and organic matter in varying concentrations. Many materials are carcinogenic, mutagenic, toxic, and almost non-biodegradable.
- Industries employ various technologies such as brine treatment, activated sludge process, and trickling filter process to treat industrial wastewater
Key Drivers and Restraints of Industrial Wastewater Treatment Technology Market
- Rise in concerns regarding freshwater scarcity is a key factor expected to boost the demand for industrial wastewater treatment technologies
- Governments and regulatory authorities are implementing stringent regulations regarding wastewater treatment. Governments of several countries are providing tax benefits and incentives to promote risk-free adoption of wastewater treatment technologies in the industrial sector. This is expected to propel the industrial wastewater treatment technology market during the forecast period.
- Industries such as oil & gas and food & beverages are incorporating innovative technologies and solutions to prevent the disposal of untreated water into rivers/oceans in order to avoid hefty penalties imposed by governments
- Governments and regulatory authorities have mandated the implementation of industrial wastewater treatment systems. However, industries are reluctant to implement these systems due to the high capital investment. The operational cost of an industrial wastewater treatment plant is very high. This can increase the overall operational expenditure of a company. Thus, high operational cost is restraining the industrial wastewater treatment technology market.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
- Governments of several countries across the globe have imposed stringent lockdowns to limit the spread of the coronavirus. Movement of individuals and economic activities, related to essential goods and services, has come to a halt due to lockdowns. This has adversely affected the operation of the industrial sector, thereby hampering the demand for industrial wastewater treatment technologies, as these technologies are used to treat the effluent water produced by industries.
Biological Method Segment to Hold Prominent Share of Global Market
- The global industrial wastewater treatment technology market can be segmented based on method, end-user, and region
- Based on method, the global industrial wastewater treatment technology market can be classified into physical, biological, and chemical. The physical segment can be sub-segmented into microfiltration, ultrafiltration, nanofiltration, and reverse osmosis; while the biological segment can be bifurcated into aerobic and anaerobic. The chemical segment can be sub-divided into precipitation, coagulation, oxidation & advanced oxidation, ion exchange, chemical stabilization, and others. The biological segment is anticipated to expand significantly in the near future due to the increase in demand for anaerobic microbial processes, as they offer various characteristics such as decrease in sludge production rate.
- In terms of end-user, the global industrial wastewater treatment technology market can be divided into thermal, power, pulp & paper, textile, food & beverages, pharmaceutical, and others
Asia Pacific to Constitute Major Share of Global Industrial Wastewater Treatment Technology Market
- In terms of region, the global industrial wastewater treatment technology market can be split into Middle East & Africa, Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe, and North America
- Asia Pacific dominated the global industrial wastewater treatment technology market in 2020. Implementation of strict environmental policies regarding wastewater and concerns regarding depletion of freshwater resources are estimated to encourage companies/service providers involved in wastewater treatment technologies in the next few years. China is a major country in the industrial wastewater treatment technology market in Asia Pacific.
- The industrial wastewater treatment technology market in Asia Pacific is projected to expand at a substantial pace during the forecast period. This can be ascribed to the increase in industrial activities, rise in water pollution, and growth in concerns regarding long-term availability of freshwater resources.
- The industrial wastewater treatment technology market in Middle East & Africa is projected to expand at a sluggish pace during the forecast period due to scarcity of fresh water in the region
Key Players Operating in Global Market
Leading companies operating in the global industrial wastewater treatment technology market include:
- Veolia Water Technologies
- GE Water and Process Technologies
- Evoqua Water Technologies
- Calgon Carbon
- WesTech Engineering, Inc.
- Condorchem Envitech
Global Industrial Wastewater Treatment Technology Market: Research Scope
Global Industrial Wastewater Treatment Technology Market, by Method
- Multi Media Filtration
- Reverse Osmosis
- Oxidation & Advanced Oxidation
- Ion Exchange
- Chemical Stabilization
Global Industrial Wastewater Treatment Technology Market, by End-user
- Pulp & Paper
- Food & Beverages
Global Industrial Wastewater Treatment Technology Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!