Implantable Infusion Pumps Market: Introduction
Implantable infusion pumps are used for long-term delivery of drugs in human patients. These have several advantages over conventional methods of drug administration. An implantable infusion device is used to provide access to deliver the needed drug to a specific body site. It can be programmed for continuous or variable rates of infusion. The pump is surgically placed in a subcutaneous pocket under the infraclavicular fossa or in the abdominal wall, and a catheter is threaded into the desired position. Implantable infusion pumps are easily removable, thereby providing a degree of therapeutic control for patients and providers. These devices can be used to deliver drugs to the intrathecal or subdural spinal spaces, numerous arteries leading directly to organs, cerebral ventricles, intravenous & subcutaneous systems, and the intraperitoneal space. These implantable infusion devices also have certain advantages over other types of liposomal or polymeric drug delivery systems.
Some implantable infusion pumps are designed only for stationary use at a patient’s bedside. Ambulatory implantable infusion pumps are designed to be portable or wearable. Health care facilities that use implantable infusion pumps should have policies and procedures in place to promote patient safety. Additional practices such as using "smart pump" technology could also be utilized to help reduce risks. The FDA regulates implantable infusion pumps as combination products, which comprise two or more regulated components such as drugs, devices, and/or biological products, through the premarket approval process. Smart infusion pumps have several safety features that have made these the must-have technology in health care setting. The most popular feature of a smart pump is the drug library. The library is a database that holds drug dosing information, including dosing limits, infusion parameters, and drug specific advisories.
Get a Glimpse of the In-Depth Analysis through our Implantable Infusion Pumps Market Report Brochure
Key Drivers of Global Implantable Infusion Pumps Market
Increase in incidence rate of cancer, diabetes, and obesity
- According to the American Institute for Cancer Research, 12 types of cancer were identified in 175 countries and 6% of new cancer cases (nearly 800,000) in 2012 were caused by the combined effects of obesity or overweight and diabetes
- Among individual risk factors, overweight was responsible for twice as many cancers (3.9%) as diabetes (2%)
- Diabetes and high body-mass index (BMI), defined as a BMI greater than or equal to 25 kg/m2, are the leading causes of mortality and morbidity globally, and prevalence of these disorders has increased substantially in the last four decades
- According to a journal published by the National Center for Biotechnology Information, the global age-standardized adult prevalence of diabetes was reported to be 9% in men and 7.9% in women in 2014, affecting about 422 million adults.
Increase in adoption of implantable drug delivery techniques in surgeries
- A promising alternative delivery method is the use of polymeric implantable devices to deliver drug compounds. Implantable drug delivery systems allow targeted and localized drug delivery and can achieve a therapeutic effect with lower concentrations of drug.
- Medication implant technology can achieve longer-lasting, highly localized drug delivery with more accurate concentrations, and fewer side effects than any other method of administration
- Implants have been proven to be beneficial in the treatment of inflammatory diseases
Product recalls and stringent regulations for new products act as major restraints
- Product recalls by the Food and Drug Administration are likely to hamper the global implantable infusion pumps market
- On August 09, 2017, Medtronic Synchromed II Model 8637 supplied in 20 mL and 40 mL reservoir size and a catheter offered by Medtronic Neuromodulation was recalled. The reason for the recall was that Medtronic implemented final design change intended to address the motor stall due to corrosion and recalled devices with the previous design that were not implanted.
North America to capture major share of global market
- North America is projected to account for significant share of the global implantable infusion pumps market during the forecast period. The market in the region is anticipated to grow at a rapid pace in the near future, primarily due to technological advancements in medical devices and rise in demand for less invasive surgeries.
- The implantable infusion pumps market in Asia Pacific is expected to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period due to preference for minimally invasive procedures
Expanding Operations in Future? To Get the Perfect Launch Ask for a Custom Implantable Infusion Pumps Market Report
Key Players Operating in Global Market
The global implantable infusion pumps market is highly concentrated, due to strong presence of a few key players. A large number of manufacturers hold major shares of the market in their respective regions. Market players are adopting practices of appointing third-party distributors to strengthen their presence. This has led to surge in the number of distributors and suppliers in emerging markets. Leading players operating in the global implantable infusion pumps market are:
- Medical Devices Business Services (Johnson's & Johnson)
- Primetech Corporation
- Flowonix Medical, Inc.
- Tricumed Medizintechnik GmbH
- Halyard Worldwide, Inc.
Global Implantable Infusion Pumps Market: Research Scope
Global Implantable Infusion Pumps Market, by Product Type
- Smart Implantable Infusion Pumps
- Conventional Implantable Infusion Pumps
Global Implantable Infusion Pumps Market, by Application
- Chronic Pain
- Oncology Laboratory Animal
- Others (spinal cord injury, pediatrics/neonatology, hematology, etc.)
Global Implantable Infusion Pumps Market, by Application
- Ambulatory Surgical Centers
- Homecare Settings
Global Implantable Infusion Pumps Market, by Region
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.