Implantable Infusion Pumps Market: Introduction
Implantable infusion pumps are used for long-term delivery of drugs in human patients. These have several advantages over conventional methods of drug administration. An implantable infusion device is used to provide access to deliver the needed drug to a specific body site. It can be programmed for continuous or variable rates of infusion. The pump is surgically placed in a subcutaneous pocket under the infraclavicular fossa or in the abdominal wall, and a catheter is threaded into the desired position. Implantable infusion pumps are easily removable, thereby providing a degree of therapeutic control for patients and providers. These devices can be used to deliver drugs to the intrathecal or subdural spinal spaces, numerous arteries leading directly to organs, cerebral ventricles, intravenous & subcutaneous systems, and the intraperitoneal space. These implantable infusion devices also have certain advantages over other types of liposomal or polymeric drug delivery systems.
Some implantable infusion pumps are designed only for stationary use at a patient’s bedside. Ambulatory implantable infusion pumps are designed to be portable or wearable. Health care facilities that use implantable infusion pumps should have policies and procedures in place to promote patient safety. Additional practices such as using "smart pump" technology could also be utilized to help reduce risks. The FDA regulates implantable infusion pumps as combination products, which comprise two or more regulated components such as drugs, devices, and/or biological products, through the premarket approval process. Smart infusion pumps have several safety features that have made these the must-have technology in health care setting. The most popular feature of a smart pump is the drug library. The library is a database that holds drug dosing information, including dosing limits, infusion parameters, and drug specific advisories.
Get a Glimpse of the In-Depth Analysis through our Implantable Infusion Pumps Market Report Brochure
Key Drivers of Global Implantable Infusion Pumps Market
Increase in incidence rate of cancer, diabetes, and obesity
- According to the American Institute for Cancer Research, 12 types of cancer were identified in 175 countries and 6% of new cancer cases (nearly 800,000) in 2012 were caused by the combined effects of obesity or overweight and diabetes
- Among individual risk factors, overweight was responsible for twice as many cancers (3.9%) as diabetes (2%)
- Diabetes and high body-mass index (BMI), defined as a BMI greater than or equal to 25 kg/m2, are the leading causes of mortality and morbidity globally, and prevalence of these disorders has increased substantially in the last four decades
- According to a journal published by the National Center for Biotechnology Information, the global age-standardized adult prevalence of diabetes was reported to be 9% in men and 7.9% in women in 2014, affecting about 422 million adults.
Increase in adoption of implantable drug delivery techniques in surgeries
- A promising alternative delivery method is the use of polymeric implantable devices to deliver drug compounds. Implantable drug delivery systems allow targeted and localized drug delivery and can achieve a therapeutic effect with lower concentrations of drug.
- Medication implant technology can achieve longer-lasting, highly localized drug delivery with more accurate concentrations, and fewer side effects than any other method of administration
- Implants have been proven to be beneficial in the treatment of inflammatory diseases
Product recalls and stringent regulations for new products act as major restraints
- Product recalls by the Food and Drug Administration are likely to hamper the global implantable infusion pumps market
- On August 09, 2017, Medtronic Synchromed II Model 8637 supplied in 20 mL and 40 mL reservoir size and a catheter offered by Medtronic Neuromodulation was recalled. The reason for the recall was that Medtronic implemented final design change intended to address the motor stall due to corrosion and recalled devices with the previous design that were not implanted.
North America to capture major share of global market
- North America is projected to account for significant share of the global implantable infusion pumps market during the forecast period. The market in the region is anticipated to grow at a rapid pace in the near future, primarily due to technological advancements in medical devices and rise in demand for less invasive surgeries.
- The implantable infusion pumps market in Asia Pacific is expected to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period due to preference for minimally invasive procedures
Expanding Operations in Future? To Get the Perfect Launch Ask for a Custom Implantable Infusion Pumps Market Report
Key Players Operating in Global Market
The global implantable infusion pumps market is highly concentrated, due to strong presence of a few key players. A large number of manufacturers hold major shares of the market in their respective regions. Market players are adopting practices of appointing third-party distributors to strengthen their presence. This has led to surge in the number of distributors and suppliers in emerging markets. Leading players operating in the global implantable infusion pumps market are:
- Medical Devices Business Services (Johnson's & Johnson)
- Primetech Corporation
- Flowonix Medical, Inc.
- Tricumed Medizintechnik GmbH
- Halyard Worldwide, Inc.
Global Implantable Infusion Pumps Market: Research Scope
Global Implantable Infusion Pumps Market, by Product Type
- Smart Implantable Infusion Pumps
- Conventional Implantable Infusion Pumps
Global Implantable Infusion Pumps Market, by Application
- Chronic Pain
- Oncology Laboratory Animal
- Others (spinal cord injury, pediatrics/neonatology, hematology, etc.)
Global Implantable Infusion Pumps Market, by Application
- Ambulatory Surgical Centers
- Homecare Settings
Global Implantable Infusion Pumps Market, by Region
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.