Hyperkalemia Drugs Market: Introduction
- Potassium in the blood is essential to regulate the function of muscles, maintain fluid balance, and control nerve signals. A high potassium diet could lower the risk of heart attack and stroke, reduce high blood pressure, and decrease the threat of osteoarthritis. Ideally, potassium level in the blood should range from 3.6 mmol to 5.2 mmol per liter. However, the level of potassium could surpass the normal level if it is not properly removed from blood due to improper kidney function. This medical condition is known as hyperkalemia, where the potassium level in the blood is higher than normal. The condition can be life threatening if blood potassium level surpasses 6.0 mmol per liter. The most common symptoms of hyperkalemia are tiredness, chest pain, improper heart beating, nausea, and tingling.
- Rise in cases of various chronic diseases such as cardiovascular-related disorders and chronic kidney diseases propel the global hyperkalemia drugs market. Chronic kidney diseases increase the risk of patients developing hyperkalemia, as the kidneys lose the capability to excrete potassium through urine. The capability of kidneys to excrete potassium decreases with time, which increases the risk of hyperkalemia becoming acute. Similarly, cardiovascular-related disorders also increase the risk of hyperkalemia in people. Hence, increase in incidence of these diseases is anticipated to contribute to the growth of the global hyperkalemia drugs market during the forecast period.
Key Drivers, Restraints, and Opportunities of Global Hyperkalemia Drugs Market
- Rise in prevalence rates of chronic hyperkalemia is attributed to increase in the global geriatric population. Aging population and advancement in medical technology are projected to contribute to the rise in prevalence of heart failure and chronic kidney diseases. Consequently, a larger pool of patients is likely to be at risk of hyperkalemia. According to data from the World Population Prospects: The 2017 Revision, the number of older people aged 60 years or above are expected to more than double by 2050 and triple by 2100, increasing from 962 million in 2017 to 2.1 billion in 2050 and 3.1 billion in 2100.
- Hyperkalemia has been reported in around 5% of the general population across the globe. According to the National Kidney Foundation, the occurrence of hyperkalemia could be up to 20% in heart failure patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD) and it is associated with an increased risk of mortality and major adverse cardiovascular events. According to the United States Renal Data System (USRDS) (2018), the overall prevalence of CKD (stages 1-5) among the adult general population in the U.S. was 14.8% during 2013–2016.
- Potassium is considered one of the most effective alkalinizing agents for the treatment of hyperkalemia. Moreover, its usage in the management of acute and chronic hyperkalemia, related to advanced medical illness, is considered the standard care in most parts of the world. Hence, increase in the number of patients undergoing treatment of hyperkalemia is likely to fuel the growth of the global hyperkalemia drugs market.
- Treatments utilizing these therapies are known to minimize the potassium levels in the blood only to a certain extent. Limited number of approved therapies makes it a potential market. However, the pipeline for hyperkalemia is weak, with only two molecules being studied currently. These molecules are in the pre-clinical stages of development and are not expected to enter the market during the forecast period.
North America to Capture Major Share of Global Hyperkalemia Drugs Market
Geographically, the global hyperkalaemia drugs market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. A study published in Current Medical Research and Opinion in 2018 indicated that the overall prevalence of hyperkalaemia in the U.S. was 1.57%, or 4 million, of the total population in 2014. Moreover, prevalence of hyperkalaemia rises with increase in kidney diseases, heart failure, diabetes, and hypertension. North America captured the largest share of the global hyperkalaemia drugs market in 2020, due to high prevalence of hyperkalaemia in the U.S., high rate of diagnosis & treatment of the disease, well-established health care infrastructure, and high awareness about hyperkalaemia. The U.S.’s dominance of the market in North America is attributed to presence of leading players, increase in cases of disease-related conditions, favorable health care reimbursement scenario, and high disposable income of patients.? Moreover, increase in incidence of hyperkalaemia and surge in geriatric population are the key factors boosting the growth of the market in the country.
Key Players Operating in Global Hyperkalemia Drugs Market
The global hyperkalemia drugs market is highly fragmented, with the presence of large number of key players. These players hold major market share in their respective regions. Strategies such as new product development and commercialization are being adopted by leading players operating in the global hyperkalemia drugs market. Major players operating in the global hyperkalemia drugs market are:
- Relypsa, Inc.
- Vifor Pharma Management Ltd.
- ZS Pharma, Inc.
- Odan Laboratories Ltd.
- ZS Pharma, Inc.
- Klarvoyant Biogenics Pvt. Ltd.
- Concordia Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Steadfast MediShield Pvt. Ltd.
- AdvaCare Pharma
- Eli Lilly and Company
- Carolina Medical Products.
- RSM Kilitch Pharma Pvt. Ltd.
Global Hyperkalemia Drugs Market: Research Scope
Global Hyperkalemia Drugs Market, by Drug Type
- Renin-angiotensin-aldosterone System Inhibitors
- Beta Blockers
- Non-steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs
Global Hyperkalemia Drugs Market, by Patent
Global Hyperkalemia Drugs Market, by Disease Type
- Chronic Hyperkalemia
- Acute Hyperkalemia
Global Hyperkalemia Drugs Market, by Distribution Channel
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies & Drugstores
- Online Sales
Global Hyperkalemia Drugs Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
With a robust experience in creating exceptional market reports, Transparency Market Research has emerged as one of the trusted market research companies among a large number of stakeholders and CXOs. Every report at Transparency Market Research goes through rigorous research activity in every aspect. The researchers at TMR keep a close watch on the market and extract beneficial growth-boosting points. These points help the stakeholders to strategize their business plans accordingly.
TMR researchers conduct exhaustive qualitative and quantitative research. This research involves taking inputs from the experts in the market, focused attention on recent developments, and others. This method of research makes TMR stand out from other market research firms.
Here's how Transparency Market Research helps the stakeholders and CXOs through the reports:
Inculcation and Evaluation of Strategic Collaborations: The TMR researchers analyze recent strategic activities like mergers, acquisitions, partnerships, collaborations, and joint ventures. All the information is compiled and included in the report.
Perfect Market Size Estimations: The report analyzes the demographics, growth potential, and capability of the market through the forecast period. This factor leads to the estimation of the market size and also provides an outline about how the market will retrieve growth during the assessment period.
Investment Research: The report focuses on the ongoing and upcoming investment opportunities across a particular market. These developments make the stakeholders aware of the current investment scenario across the market.
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.