Hydroxychloroquine & Chloroquine Market: Introduction
- Hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine belong to the antimalarial drug class and are primarily recommended for preventing and treating acute attacks of malaria. This drug is also recommended for the treatment of discoid lupus erythematosus, systemic lupus erythematosus, in rheumatoid arthritis patients, and other autoimmune conditions. Chloroquine is also preferred for the treatment of different type of parasites. The two drugs are administered through the oral route. These drugs are derived from quinoline molecule and have similar clinical indication and side effects. Hydroxychloroquine is widely used as anti-rheumatic, which makes its different from chloroquine. The two drugs vary in terms of therapeutic toxicity and dosage.
- Recently, the FDA issued guidelines for the usage of hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine for treatment of COVID-19. The benefits and efficacy of hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine in the treatment of coronavirus 2 (SARS–CoV-2) have been identified in the clinical trials carried out in March 2020. However, the data to support this study is limited and the drugs have not been proven completely safe for the treatment of COVID-19.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF sample of this report
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Hydroxychloroquine & Chloroquine Market
- Increase in the export and import of hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine across regions, especially due to COVID-19 pandemic, rise in prevalence of malaria, rheumatoid arthritis, and other autoimmune diseases is projected to drive the global hydroxychloroquine & chloroquine market. Import of hydroxychloroquine & chloroquine drugs in the U.S., Germany, Italy, Spain and other countries in Europe is likely to propel the global market. Increase in incidence of COVID-19 since December 2019 across the globe is a major factor boosting the demand for hydroxychloroquine & chloroquine. According to statistics, there were around 3.45 million confirmed cases of COVID-19 globally as of April 2020, which drives the demand for hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine. On March 28, 2020, the FDA issued emergency use authorization for distribution of hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine to patients suffering from COVID-19 who could not be part of clinical trials.
- According to HHS, Sandoz donated 30 million doses of hydroxychloroquine sulfate to the Strategic National Stockpile and Bayer donated 1 million doses of chloroquine phosphate for patients to manage COVID-19 condition. These are considered potential drugs in treating COVID-19 patients. All the above factors are likely to propel the global hydroxychloroquine & chloroquine market. However, shortage of supply of hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine is projected to restrain the demand for the drugs across the globe.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report
North America to Lead Global Hydroxychloroquine & Chloroquine Market
- In terms of region, the global hydroxychloroquine & chloroquine market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America is projected to dominate the global hydroxychloroquine & chloroquine market during the forecast period. This is attributed to increase in burden of COVID-19, well-developed health care infrastructure, increase in import of hydroxychloroquine & chloroquine drugs, ongoing clinical trials for these drugs to be potential treatment, and stringent FDA policies. Various agencies are working toward ensuring regular supply of the drugs as per rising demand. This is anticipated to augment the hydroxychloroquine & chloroquine market in the region. Certain research & clinical studies have indicated that the combination of hydroxychloroquine sulfate and azithromycin has shown potential in the treatment of COVID- 19. Recommendation of hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), and other autoimmune diseases is expected to augment the hydroxychloroquine & chloroquine market in the region.
- Europe was the second largest market for hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine in 2019, followed by Asia Pacific. Rise in demand for these drugs due to the COVID-19 pandemic is likely to boost the growth of the hydroxychloroquine & chloroquine market in Europe. Moreover, increase in cases of rheumatoid arthritis and other autoimmune condition is projected to fuel the growth of the hydroxychloroquine & chloroquine market in Europe. The market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to grow at a rapid pace during the forecast period, owing to COVID-19 pandemic and export of hydroxychloroquine & chloroquine to developed countries. India is considered the largest exporter of hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine owing to large production and streamlined supply chain.
Key Players Operating in Global Hydroxychloroquine & Chloroquine Market
The global hydroxychloroquine & chloroquine market is fragmented, with the presence of large number of players. Major players operating in the global hydroxychloroquine & chloroquine market are:
- Zydus Cadila
- Prasco Laboratories
- Sandoz International GmbH
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
- Mylan N.V.
- Bristol-Myers Squibb
- Janssen Global Services, LLC
- Other Prominent Players
Global Hydroxychloroquine & Chloroquine Market: Research Scope
Global Hydroxychloroquine & Chloroquine Market, by Dosage
- 100 mg
- 200 mg
- 250 mg
- 500 mg
Global Hydroxychloroquine & Chloroquine Market, by Application
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
Global Hydroxychloroquine & Chloroquine Market, by Distribution Channel
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies
- Online Pharmacies
Global Hydroxychloroquine & Chloroquine Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note:Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.