Hydroxychloroquine & Chloroquine Market: Introduction
- Hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine belong to the antimalarial drug class and are primarily recommended for preventing and treating acute attacks of malaria. This drug is also recommended for the treatment of discoid lupus erythematosus, systemic lupus erythematosus, in rheumatoid arthritis patients, and other autoimmune conditions. Chloroquine is also preferred for the treatment of different type of parasites. The two drugs are administered through the oral route. These drugs are derived from quinoline molecule and have similar clinical indication and side effects. Hydroxychloroquine is widely used as anti-rheumatic, which makes its different from chloroquine. The two drugs vary in terms of therapeutic toxicity and dosage.
- Recently, the FDA issued guidelines for the usage of hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine for treatment of COVID-19. The benefits and efficacy of hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine in the treatment of coronavirus 2 (SARS–CoV-2) have been identified in the clinical trials carried out in March 2020. However, the data to support this study is limited and the drugs have not been proven completely safe for the treatment of COVID-19.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF sample of this report
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Hydroxychloroquine & Chloroquine Market
- Increase in the export and import of hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine across regions, especially due to COVID-19 pandemic, rise in prevalence of malaria, rheumatoid arthritis, and other autoimmune diseases is projected to drive the global hydroxychloroquine & chloroquine market. Import of hydroxychloroquine & chloroquine drugs in the U.S., Germany, Italy, Spain and other countries in Europe is likely to propel the global market. Increase in incidence of COVID-19 since December 2019 across the globe is a major factor boosting the demand for hydroxychloroquine & chloroquine. According to statistics, there were around 3.45 million confirmed cases of COVID-19 globally as of April 2020, which drives the demand for hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine. On March 28, 2020, the FDA issued emergency use authorization for distribution of hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine to patients suffering from COVID-19 who could not be part of clinical trials.
- According to HHS, Sandoz donated 30 million doses of hydroxychloroquine sulfate to the Strategic National Stockpile and Bayer donated 1 million doses of chloroquine phosphate for patients to manage COVID-19 condition. These are considered potential drugs in treating COVID-19 patients. All the above factors are likely to propel the global hydroxychloroquine & chloroquine market. However, shortage of supply of hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine is projected to restrain the demand for the drugs across the globe.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report
North America to Lead Global Hydroxychloroquine & Chloroquine Market
- In terms of region, the global hydroxychloroquine & chloroquine market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America is projected to dominate the global hydroxychloroquine & chloroquine market during the forecast period. This is attributed to increase in burden of COVID-19, well-developed health care infrastructure, increase in import of hydroxychloroquine & chloroquine drugs, ongoing clinical trials for these drugs to be potential treatment, and stringent FDA policies. Various agencies are working toward ensuring regular supply of the drugs as per rising demand. This is anticipated to augment the hydroxychloroquine & chloroquine market in the region. Certain research & clinical studies have indicated that the combination of hydroxychloroquine sulfate and azithromycin has shown potential in the treatment of COVID- 19. Recommendation of hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), and other autoimmune diseases is expected to augment the hydroxychloroquine & chloroquine market in the region.
- Europe was the second largest market for hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine in 2019, followed by Asia Pacific. Rise in demand for these drugs due to the COVID-19 pandemic is likely to boost the growth of the hydroxychloroquine & chloroquine market in Europe. Moreover, increase in cases of rheumatoid arthritis and other autoimmune condition is projected to fuel the growth of the hydroxychloroquine & chloroquine market in Europe. The market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to grow at a rapid pace during the forecast period, owing to COVID-19 pandemic and export of hydroxychloroquine & chloroquine to developed countries. India is considered the largest exporter of hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine owing to large production and streamlined supply chain.
Key Players Operating in Global Hydroxychloroquine & Chloroquine Market
The global hydroxychloroquine & chloroquine market is fragmented, with the presence of large number of players. Major players operating in the global hydroxychloroquine & chloroquine market are:
- Zydus Cadila
- Prasco Laboratories
- Sandoz International GmbH
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
- Mylan N.V.
- Bristol-Myers Squibb
- Janssen Global Services, LLC
- Other Prominent Players
Global Hydroxychloroquine & Chloroquine Market: Research Scope
Global Hydroxychloroquine & Chloroquine Market, by Dosage
- 100 mg
- 200 mg
- 250 mg
- 500 mg
Global Hydroxychloroquine & Chloroquine Market, by Application
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
Global Hydroxychloroquine & Chloroquine Market, by Distribution Channel
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies
- Online Pharmacies
Global Hydroxychloroquine & Chloroquine Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.