HVDC Capacitors: Introduction
- HVDC stands for high-voltage direct current. The technology is used to transmit electricity over a long distance by using an overhead transmission wire.
- The HVDC technology is preferred over the HVAC technology. In HVDC systems, power flow can be controlled instantly and accurately, in terms of direction as well as power. In addition, HVDC systems offer higher efficiency and lower electric losses compared to HVAC systems.
- HVDC capacitors are designed to be used in DC supplies or electronic equipment. They are also used in applications wherein high current pulses are produced.
- Types of HVDC capacitors include aluminum electrolyte capacitors, ceramic capacitors, glass capacitors, plastic film capacitors, reconstituted mica capacitors, and tantalum wet capacitors.
- HVDC capacitors are employed in various end-use sectors such as commercial, industrial, energy & utilities, and defense.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report
Rise in Demand for HVDC Capacitors for Use in Power Transmission
- Based on end-use industry, the global HVDC capacitor market can be segmented into commercial, industrial, energy & utilities, and defense
- HVDC capacitors are largely used in power transmission systems, as they can control power flow instantly and precisely
- Moreover, HVDC systems have lower impact on the environment than HVAC systems, as transmission lines used in HVDC systems are less in number and they require less space for transmitting the same amount of energy
- Furthermore, installation of HVDC towers and transmission lines is less expensive, as a few lines are required in HVDC systems. Hence, HVDC capacitors are increasingly used in power transmission systems across the globe.
- HVDC capacitors are used in power distribution systems to decrease the possibility of short-circuit current by controlling the power flow rapidly. As a result of these advantages, the demand for HVDC capacitors for use in power transmission is increasing. This is expected to drive the global HVDC capacitor market during the forecast period.
Looking for Regional Analysis or Competitive Landscape in HVDC Capacitor Market, ask for a customized report
Increase in Favorable Government Initiatives for HVDC Systems to Offer Lucrative Opportunities to Global Market
- Governments of developed countries such as the U.S., the U.K., and Germany are focusing on the upgrade and replacement of the existing power infrastructure. In addition, several countries in Europe and Asia Pacific are focusing on adoption of renewable energy sources, such as solar and wind power, which have emerged as attractive sectors for investments for organizations across the globe.
- In 2017, ABB Company, a Switzerland-based player, bagged a deal worth US$ 640 Mn to supply a long-distance power transmission link to India so as to provide electricity to over 80 million people. This is expected to propel the HVDC capacitor market in India during the forecast period.
- Thus, increase in favorable government initiatives for HVDC systems is expected to offer lucrative opportunities to the global HVDC capacitor market during the forecast period
Asia Pacific to Lead Global Market
- In terms of region, the global HVDC capacitor market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, South America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is anticipated to dominate the global HVDC capacitor market throughout the forecast period, owing to increase in industrialization and urbanization in countries such as China and India
- The HVDC capacitor market in North America and Europe is expected to expand at a substantial rate during the forecast period. However, the market in Middle East & Africa and South America is estimated to expand at a moderate rate during the forecast period.
Key Players Operating in Global Market
The global HVDC capacitor market was highly fragmented in 2018. Major players operating in the global market are focusing on technological advancements and expansions to meet the risen demand for HVDC capacitors. Moreover, manufacturers are entering into partnerships for the development of innovative products.
Key players operating in the global HVDC capacitor market are:
- Alstom SA
- Eaton Corporation
- Epcos AG
- General Atomics, Inc.
- LIFASA, International Capacitors, S.A.
- Maxwell Technologies Inc.
- RTDS Technologies
- Transgrid Solutions
- Vishay Intertechnology Inc.
Global HVDC Capacitor Market: Research Scope
Global HVDC Capacitor Market, by Type
- Aluminum Electrolyte
- Plastic Film
- Reconstituted Mica
- Tantalum Wet
Global HVDC Capacitor Market, by Technology
- Line Commutated Converter
- Voltage Source Converter
Global HVDC Capacitor Market, by Installation Type
- Open-rack Capacitor Banks
- Enclosed-rack Capacitor Banks
- Pole-mounted Capacitor Banks
Global HVDC Capacitor Market, by End-use Industry
- Energy & Utilities
Global HVDC Capacitor Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- South America
- Rest of South America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.