High Voltage Direct Current (HVDC) Transmission System: Introduction
- High Voltage Direct Current (HVDC) transmission system, also known as electrical superhighway or power superhighway, is an electric transmission system used for bulk direct-current transmission of electric power
- HVDC transmission systems have the capability to interconnect networks with different features and frequencies and are more competent than alternating current lines
- HVDC transmission systems are ideal for long distance transmission and also carry less electrical losses. However, these transmission systems are costlier for short distances, as conversion units are required.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global High Voltage Direct Current (HVDC) Transmission System Market
- Increase in installation of offshore wind power generation projects is anticipated to drive the HVDC transmission systems market. Large amount of power generation is feasible through offshore wind energy; therefore, the generated energy can be distributed to locations with high demand for electricity.
Global High Voltage Direct Current (HVDC) Transmission System Market: Segmentation
- The global HVDC transmission system market can be segmented in terms of technology, type, deployment, application, and capacity
- Based on technology, the market can be divided into line commutated converter (LCC) and voltage source converter (VSC). Voltage source converter is a new technology. Thus, demand for VSC is anticipated to increase during the forecast period.
- In terms of type, the market can be divided into monopole system, bipolar system, back-to-back, and multi-terminal system. Monopole system and bipolar system segments accounted for significant share of the global HVDC transmission system market in 2020, due to higher demand for these among end-users.
- In terms of deployment, the global HVDC transmission system market can be classified into overhead, underground, subsea, and combination. Underground and subsea are key segments, led by rise in investment in these segments across the globe.
- Based on application. The market can be segregated into interconnecting grids, infeed urban areas, connecting offshore wind, and others. The connecting offshore wind segment is likely to expand significantly due to rise in offshore wind energy projects across the world.
- In terms of capacity, the HVDC transmission system market can be split into up to 400 kV, 401-800 kV, and above 800 kV. 401-800 kV and above 800 kV segments are expected to expand at high CAGR during the forecast period.
Global High Voltage Direct Current (HVDC) Transmission System Market: Regional Segmentation
- Based on region, the HVDC transmission systems market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific dominated the global HVDC transmission systems market in 2020. It is anticipated to be a highly attractive region during the forecast period. The trend is estimated to continue during the forecast period owing to the significant investment in renewable energy sources, especially in countries such as China, Japan, and India.
- Europe is estimated to hold vital share of the global HVDC transmission systems market during the forecast period. The region is investing in renewable energy sources due to the increase in pollution and rise in government policies to meet the 2031 climate and energy framework.
- North America is projected to hold moderate share of the global HVDC transmission systems market during the forecast period, as the region possesses advanced electrical transmission systems. The market in the region is likely to expand at a healthy pace in the near future.
COVID-19 Impact on the Global High Voltage Direct Current (HVDC) Transmission System Market
- The power industry falls under ‘essential services,’ as power supply to grid systems depends on transmission lines. Initially, the COVID-19 pandemic marginally affected the HVDC transmission system market by disrupting the supply chain as well as availability of manpower due to the lockdown in various countries. However, the supply chain has been restored and the availability of manpower is getting back to normal, with governments and companies’ efforts. This is expected to drive the market in the near future.
Key Players Operating in Global Market
- Siemens AG
- Toshiba Energy Systems & Solutions Corporation
- General Electric
- Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
- PRYSMIAN GROUP
- TransGrid Solutions.
- ATCO LTD.
- LSIS Co. Ltd.
- Hitachi, Ltd.
Global High Voltage Direct Current (HVDC) Transmission System Market: Research Scope
Global High Voltage Direct Current (HVDC) Transmission System Market, by Technology
- Line Commutated Converter (LCC)
- Voltage Source Converter (VSC)
Global High Voltage Direct Current (HVDC) Transmission System Market, by Type
- Monopole System
- Bipolar System
- Multi-terminal System
Global High Voltage Direct Current (HVDC) Transmission System Market, by Deployment
Global High Voltage Direct Current (HVDC) Transmission System Market, by Application
- Interconnecting Grids
- Infeed Urban Areas
- Connecting Offshore Wind
Global High Voltage Direct Current (HVDC) Transmission System Market, by Capacity
- Up To 400 kV
- 401-800 kV
- Above 800 kV
Global High Voltage Direct Current (HVDC) Transmission System Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
With a robust experience in creating exceptional market reports, Transparency Market Research has emerged as one of the trusted market research companies among a large number of stakeholders and CXOs. Every report at Transparency Market Research goes through rigorous research activity in every aspect. The researchers at TMR keep a close watch on the market and extract beneficial growth-boosting points. These points help the stakeholders to strategize their business plans accordingly.
TMR researchers conduct exhaustive qualitative and quantitative research. This research involves taking inputs from the experts in the market, focused attention on recent developments, and others. This method of research makes TMR stand out from other market research firms.
Here's how Transparency Market Research helps the stakeholders and CXOs through the reports:
Inculcation and Evaluation of Strategic Collaborations: The TMR researchers analyze recent strategic activities like mergers, acquisitions, partnerships, collaborations, and joint ventures. All the information is compiled and included in the report.
Perfect Market Size Estimations: The report analyzes the demographics, growth potential, and capability of the market through the forecast period. This factor leads to the estimation of the market size and also provides an outline about how the market will retrieve growth during the assessment period.
Investment Research: The report focuses on the ongoing and upcoming investment opportunities across a particular market. These developments make the stakeholders aware of the current investment scenario across the market.
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.