High Flux Membrane Market: Introduction
High flux membranes, as compared to low flux membranes, possess larger pores and enable diffusion of greater amounts of uremic toxins and middle molecules, such as β2 microglobuline; therefore, they may decrease the risk of dialysis-related amyloidosis
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global High Flux Membrane Market
- Rise in incidence rate of chronic kidney disease (CKD), worldwide, is the major factor driving the market. CKD is a global health burden with a high economic cost to health systems and it is an independent risk factor for cardiovascular disease (CVD). All stages of CKD are associated with increased risks of cardiovascular morbidity, premature mortality, and/or decreased quality of life. The healthcare burden is highest in the early stages due to increased prevalence; affecting around 35% of those over 70 years. As per CDC data, CKD is more common in people aged 65 years or older (38%) as compared to that in people aged 45–64 years (13%) or 18–44 years (7%). Furthermore, CKD is more common in women (15%) than men (12%). CKD is more common in non-Hispanic blacks (16%) than non-Hispanic whites (13%) or non-Hispanic Asians (12%). Globally, in 2017, 1·2 million people died from CKD.
- Rise in prevalence of diabetes and hypertension also leads to kidney damage. Diabetes is the leading cause of kidney disease. About 1 out of 3 adults with diabetes has kidney disease. Prevalence of diabetes is expected to increase exponentially, worldwide, due to a change in lifestyle and various factors such as malnutrition and genetic mutations. According to various government and private organizations operating in the diabetes industry, diabetes is considered among the top fatal diseases. As per American Diabetes Association data, in 2018, 34.2 million people in the U.S., or 10.5% of the population, had diabetes. Nearly 1.6 million people in the U.S. have type 1 diabetes, including about 187,000 children and adolescents.
- High cost of dialysis may hamper the market. The annual cost per patient for hemodialysis (HD) ranged from US$ 3,424 to US$ 42,785, and peritoneal dialysis (PD) ranged from US$ 7,974 to US$ 47,971. Direct medical cost, especially drugs and consumables for HD, and dialysis solutions and tubing for PD were the main factors attributed to the high cost.
Polymeric segment to dominate global high flux membrane market
- Based on material, the global high flux membrane market can be divided into polymeric and ceramic
- The polymeric segment dominated the global market in 2019. It is projected to maintain its position during the forecast period. High-flux membranes fabricated from nominally similar polymers may differ significantly in their ability to remove low molecular weight protein uremic toxins. Polymeric membranes are less expensive than synthetic ceramic ones.
- However, the ceramic segment is projected to expand at a notable CAGR during the forecast period, as ceramic high flux membrane offers a higher flux, fouls less, and possesses a longer operating life. An investigation of the papers presented in this field showed that polymeric membranes usually allow a high flux, while ceramic membranes despite their low flux permission possess high mechanical strength and chemical resistance. Moreover, the latter type has shown high selectivity for desired proteins as compared to undesired ones.
Nano filtration segment to expand significantly
- Based on technology, the global high flux membrane market can be divided into reverse osmosis, nano filtration, microfiltration, and ultrafiltration
- The nano filtration segment is estimated to expand at a prominent CAGR during the forecast period. High flux nanofiltration membranes are prepared with uniform graphene oxide (GO) homo-structure. Laminated GO sheets function as molecular sieving. GO quantum dots act as nano wedges to prevent the stacking of GO sheets. The permeability of the membrane improves significantly (2–4 times). Modern nanotechnologies permit the fabrication of membranes with given porosity properties and performance manipulation in the process of membrane preparation.
North America to dominate global high flux membrane market
- In terms of region, the global high flux membrane market can be divided into: North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America held a prominent share of the global high flux membrane market in 2019, followed by Europe. Increasing prevalence of kidney disorders boosts the market in the region. According to National Kidney Foundation Inc., chronic kidney disease affects an estimated 37 million people in the U.S. (15% of the adult population; more than 1 in 7 adults) and approximately 90% of those with CKD are unaware about their illness.
- The market in developing economies in Asia Pacific is projected to expand at a prominent CAGR during the forecast period. Chronic kidney disease (CKD) is a major health issue for the underdeveloped countries of Southeast Asia, home to more than 2 billion people. The true incidence and prevalence in the region is not known; however, estimates suggest that the prevalence may be more than that reported in Western societies.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Market
The global high flux membrane market was highly fragmented in 2019. Key manufacturers operating in the global market are:
- Fresenius Medical Care AG & Co
- Baxter International Inc
- Asahi Kasei Medical Co., Ltd.
- MEDICA S.P.A.
- Serumwerk Bernburg AG
High Flux Membrane Market: Research Scope
High Flux Membrane Market, by Material
High Flux Membrane Market, by Technology
- Reverse Osmosis
- Nano filtration
High Flux Membrane Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.