Heparin Market (Product - Unfractionated Heparin (UFH), Low Molecular Weight Heparin (LMWH), and Ultra-low Molecular Weight Heparin (ULMWH); Source - Bovine and Porcine; Formulation - Oral and Parenteral) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast 2019- 2027
- According to Transparency Market Research’s latest report on the global heparin market for the historical period 2017–2018 and forecast period 2019–2027, high incidence and mortality associated with coagulation disorders, commercialization of safe and cost-effective heparin products are projected to drive the global heparin market during the forecast period
- According to the report, the global heparin market was valued at US$ 10.8 Bn in 2018 and is anticipated to expand at a CAGR of 6.8% from 2019 to 2027
High incidence and mortality associated with coagulation disorders and commercialization of safe and cost-effective heparin products: Key Drivers
- Coagulation disorders such as venous thromboembolism (VTE) cause nearly half a Mn deaths in Europe each year. Astonishingly, the number of deaths due to VTE in Europe is more than the deaths collectively caused by AIDS, breast and prostate cancers, and highway accidents. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the annual incidence of VTE (DVT & PE) in general population is estimated to be around 0.1%. Moreover, it states that approximately 900,000 people are affected by DVT/PE in the U.S. every year and one third of the DVT/PE patients have a recurrence within a decade.
- A report published by Bayer HealthCare in 2013 stated that the incidence of VTE is expected to increase by 8% by 2018. These statistics clearly indicate the rising demand for safe, reliable, and affordable anticoagulants which would act as a growth driver for the heparin market. The prevailing limitation in reversing the activity of naturally-derived low molecular weight heparin (LMWH) in case of overdose could lead to excessive bleeding and harm to patients with poor kidney function. In 2014, researchers at the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and the University of North Carolina (UNC) developed a synthetic form of LMWH that is safe and can be reversed in activity using an antidote called protamine. According to the research, this synthetic heparin is safer and cheaper than the currently available heparin which is derived from animals. Regulatory approval would generate even higher demand for this synthetic version while affecting the existing demand for naturally derived heparin.
Request a sample to get extensive insights into the Heparin Market
Rising Geriatric Population is Affected More by Thrombosis Boost Market Growth
- Venous thromboembolism (VTE) is highly common in the geriatric population; however, it can occur at any age. The incidence rate of various disease such as heart failure, which can lead to thrombosis and is likely to occur more in old age than compare to young age
- Congestive heart failure is much more frequent in elderly people, with 85% of patients with heart failure being older than 65 years. The prevalence of atrial fibrillation increases three times in people aged 80 years and above, as compared to those aged less than 65 years. Such incidences increase the risk of pulmonary embolism, more in the geriatric population, as the geriatric population with heart failure have limited heart and lung function, and the symptoms caused by even a small pulmonary embolism are more noticeable.
- Hence, rising geriatric population is expected to drive the market for heparin drugs during the forecast period
Presence of alternative anticoagulants impeding the sale of biological heparin products to Hamper Market
- Presence of alternative anticoagulants such as warfarin, oral anticoagulants, and coumarins is restraining the market for heparin used in the treatment of embolism.
- Warfarin has traditionally been the key preferred drug for anticoagulant therapy globally. Moreover, the advent of new anticoagulants such as rivaroxaban, dabigatran, and apixaban is cannibalizing the market share of heparin globally.
- Heparin is derived from animal sources; hence, the risk of infection and contamination always exists. Although these substitutes also possess certain limitations in terms of side effects and drug interactions, a physician can prefer these drugs over heparin depending on the condition of the patient and the type of disorder.
To understand how our report can bring difference to your business strategy, Ask for a brochure
Global Heparin Market: Competitive Landscape
- This report profiles major players in the global heparin market based on various attributes such as company overview, financial overview, product portfolio, business strategies, and recent developments
- The global heparin market is highly fragmented, with the presence of a number of international as well as regional players
- Leading players operating in the global heparin market are
- Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd.
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
- Fresenius SE & Co. KGaA
- Pfizer, Inc.
- LEO Pharma A/S
- Baxter International Inc.,
- B. Braun Melsungen AG
- Syntex S.A. among others
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on Heparin Market
Global Heparin Market: Key Developments
Key players in the global heparin market are engaged in regulatory approvals, technologically advanced products, launch of new products, and acquisition & collaborative agreements with other companies. These strategies are likely to fuel the growth of the global heparin market. A few expansion strategies adopted by players operating in the global heparin market are:
- In September 2019, Meitheal Pharmaceuticals announced the launch of heparin sodium injection, USP in the United States (US).
- In April 2019, B. Braun Medical Inc. launched Heparin Sodium Injection, USP - the first Heparin 5,000 USP Unit / 0.5 mL prefilled syringe with attached safety needle for subcutaneous and intravenous use in the United States.
- In December 2017, Mylan received approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for its Abbreviated New Drug Applications (ANDAs) for Heparin Sodium Injection USP, 1,000 USP/mL, 5,000 USP/mL, 10,000 USP/mL, and 20,000 USP/mL, all of which are packaged in multi-dose vials.
The report on the global heparin market discussed individual strategies, followed by company profiles of manufacturers of heparin. The competitive landscape section has been included in the report to provide readers with a dashboard view and a company market share analysis of key players operating in the global heparin market.
Global Heparin Market - Scope of Report
TMR’s report on the global heparin market studies past as well as current growth trends and opportunities to gain valuable insights of these indicators of the market during the forecast period from 2019 to 2027. The report provides revenue of the global heparin market for the period 2017–2027, considering 2018 as the base year and 2027 as the forecast year. The report also provides the compound annual growth rate (CAGR) for the global heparin market during the forecast period.
The report has been prepared after an extensive primary and secondary research. Primary research involved bulk of research efforts, wherein analysts carried out interviews with industry leaders and opinion makers. Extensive secondary research involved referring to key players’ product literature, annual reports, press releases, and relevant documents to understand the global heparin market.
Secondary research also included Internet sources, statistical data from government agencies, websites, company presentations, sales data, and trade associations. Analysts have employed a combination of top-down and bottom-up approaches to study various phenomenon in the global heparin market.
The report includes an elaborate executive summary, along with a snapshot of the growth behavior of various segments included in the scope of the study. Furthermore, the report sheds light on the changing competitive dynamics in the global heparin market. These indices serve as valuable tools for existing market players as well as for entities interested in entering the global heparin market.
The report delves into the competitive landscape of the global heparin market. Key players operating in the global heparin market have been identified, and each one of these has been profiled for distinguishing business attributes. Company overview, financial standings, recent developments, and SWOT are some of the attributes of players in the global heparin market that have been profiled in this report.
Key Questions Answered in Global Heparin Market Report
- What is the scope of growth of product companies in the global heparin market?
- What will be the Y-o-Y growth of the global heparin market between 2019 and 2027?
- What is the influence of changing trends in technologies on the global heparin market?
- Will North America continue to be the most profitable market for heparin providers?
- Which factors are anticipated to hamper the growth of the global heparin market during the forecast period?
- Which are the leading companies in the global heparin market?
A unique research methodology has been utilized by TMR to conduct comprehensive research on the growth of the global heparin market and arrive at conclusions on its growth prospects. This research methodology is a combination of primary and secondary research, which helps analysts warrant the accuracy and reliability of the drawn conclusions.
Secondary methods referred to by analysts during the production of the global heparin market report include statistics from company annual reports, SEC filings, company websites, investor presentations, regulatory databases, government publications, and industry white papers. Analysts have also interviewed senior managers, product portfolio managers, CEOs, VPs, and market intelligence managers, who contributed to the production of TMR’s study on the heparin market as primary methods.
These primary and secondary methods have provided exclusive information during interviews, which serves as a validation from the heparin market leaders. Access to an extensive internal repository and external proprietary databases enabled this report to address specific details and questions about the global heparin market with accuracy. The study also uses the top-down approach to assess the revenues for each segment and the bottom-up approach to counter-validate them. This has helped in reaching TMR’s estimates on future prospects of the global heparin market more reliably and accurately.
Regional Segmentation of Heparin Market
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Global Heparin Market - Segmentation