Handheld Drug Detector Market – A study on portable devices used for drug detection
- Illicit consumption and distribution of controlled substances such as narcotics (including LSD, heroin, opium, Methaqualone, CBD, and THS) are noteworthy public safety issues in numerous countries worldwide.
- Drug detectors are used to control the synthesizing, possession, or distribution of such drugs. Armed forces, law enforcement agencies, and aviation industry are some of the prominent end-users of drug detectors.
- Drug detectors can be portable or tabletop. Handheld drug detectors have attained significant traction in the past few years owing to their ease of use and mobility.
- Some of the key applications of drug detectors include sample/laboratory drug testing, and presumptive drug testing.
- Increasing incidence of illegal drug trafficking across the globe has raised the demand for advanced handheld drug detecting equipment
- However, relatively higher up-front cost of these devices are likely to hinder the growth of the global handheld drug detector market during the forecast period
Radical growth in drug abuse cases across the globe to drive the demand for handheld drug detectors
- Drug abuse has become a global concern, due to which government agencies across the world have taken several initiatives, which in turn have increased the demand for drug detecting equipment across the globe.
- For instance, in March 2019, the Customs and Border Patrol agents at the Dallas airport (Fort Worth International Airport) caught a shipment of 49 lbs. of GBL (Gamma-Butyrolactone) using a handheld drug detector.
- Federal agencies and law makers are expected to continue demanding handheld drug detectors that are lighter, more powerful, and provide non-intrusive detection in order to combat the burgeoning tide of controlled substances distribution
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report
Relatively higher cost, complexity, and maintenance impeding the adoption of handheld drug detectors
- Despite these products designed to be used by professionals, constant improvements in handheld drug detectors are likely to require dedicated training for its optimal operation.
- In addition, unlike conventional drug testing devices, handheld drug detectors require periodic maintenance
- Also, the cost of procurement of these devices is relatively high, which impacts its affordability aspect, particularly for developing/third world nations. Although some manufacturers provide handheld drug detectors at lower cost, the efficiency of the same are suspect.
- The aforementioned factors are thus projected to hinder the growth of the global handheld drug detectors market
North America to Hold Leading Share of the Global Handheld Drug Detector Market
- Geographically, the global handheld drug detector market can be divided into five regions: North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East & Africa, and South America
- Country-level analysis of North America features the U.S., Canada, and Rest of North America. Analysis and forecast of the handheld drug detector market in Europe includes markets across the U.K., Germany, France, and Rest of Europe. Similarly, Asia Pacific includes India, China, Japan, and Rest of Asia Pacific. Middle East & Africa includes the handheld drug detector market analysis and forecast of GCC countries, South Africa, and Rest of Middle East & Africa. The handheld drug detector market in South America is segmented into Brazil, and Rest of South America.
- North America dominated the market in 2018 due to rising prevalence of drug abuse cases resulting in extensive investment by government agencies in procuring highly efficient and optimal drug detection equipment. Apart from North America, Asia Pacific, South America, and the Middle East are also potential consumers of handheld drug detectors.
- The market in Asia Pacific is projected to expand at the fastest CAGR, followed by North America and the Europe during the forecast period.
Key Players Operating in the Handheld Drug Detector Market:
The handheld drug detector market is gradually becoming competitive with lowering barriers of entry for regional players. Major players are adopting various strategies such as regional expansion and product portfolio expansion to enhance their position in the market. A few of the key players operating in the global handheld drug detector market are:
- Drägerwerk AG & Co. KGaA
- Rapiscan Systems
- Ambitec Inc.
- PKI Electronic Intelligence GmbH
- Westminster International Ltd
- Safeway Inspection System Limited
- Flir Systems
- Smiths Detection
- Techik Instruments
Looking for Regional Analysis or Competitive Landscape in Handheld Drug Detector Market, ask for a customized report
Global Handheld Drug Detector Market: Research Scope
Global Handheld Drug Detector Market, by Technology
- Mass Spectrometry (MS)
- Ion Mobility Spectrometry (IMS)
- Gas Chromatography
- Raman Spectrometry
Global Handheld Drug Detector Market, by End-Users
- Law Enforcement
- Event Security
- Border Defense
Global Handheld Drug Detector Market, by Distribution Channel
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.