COVID-19 Impact on Global Gynecology and Pediatric Disposables Market
- According to researchers at the Indiana University, healthcare visits decreased by around 40% in the first six weeks of the pandemic in the U.S., from early March to mid-April. In the first half of 2020, the number of surgeries decreased by 70% to 80%. According to a study published in the Indian Journal of Surgery in June 2020, outpatient consultations and non-emergency surgeries decreased from more than 20 cases per day and 40 surgeries per month in the first half of 2020 to nearly zero cases. This has had a significant effect on healthcare revenue, as elective surgeries account for 20% of total healthcare revenue in the U.S.
- Demand for healthcare (particularly delayed procedures and treatment) increased once restrictions were lifted or eased. However, the number of elective surgeries performed after the lockdown has yet to catch up with the pre-COVID-19 scenario. This may have an adverse effect on the gynecology disposables market.
Gynecology and Pediatric Disposables Market: Key Trends
- Increase in incidence of gynecological diseases, rise in awareness programs, surge in government investments for providing advanced healthcare facilities & services, rise in disposable income in developing countries, and increase in incidence of lifestyle disorders drive the global market.
- Rise in demand for disposable medical supplies to avoid contamination and hospital-acquired infections and surge in disease incidence are anticipated to boost the growth of the global market. However, rise in environmental concerns due to improper medical waste disposal is expected to hamper the growth the global market.
North America to Capture Major Share of Gynecology and Pediatric Disposables Market
- North America dominated the global gynecology surgical instrument market in 2020. The U.S. accounted for the largest share of the market in the region in 2020. High incidence of gynecological diseases (such as ovarian, uterine, cervical, and vaginal cancer), increase in awareness programs, rise in funding for gynecology research projects, and prominent players focusing on strengthening presence through acquisitions and expansions are likely to drive the market in North America during the forecast period.
- Increase in adoption of surgical procedures in gynecology, high incidence of gynecological diseases, surge in governmental initiatives for supporting medical innovation, growth of the healthcare sector, and awareness programs propel the market in Europe. Several major players focus on expanding their presence in Europe through acquisitions, expansions, and new product launches. For example, KARL STORZ Endoscopy (UK) Ltd. opened its newly redeveloped plant in Dundee, Scotland in March 2014, with a US$ 2.8 Mn investment (GBP 1.7 Mn). The facility specializes in the production of medical devices.
- The market in Asia Pacific is expected to grow at a rapid pace due to increase in government and private sector investments in healthcare, rise in purchasing power, high prevalence of gynecological diseases, government initiatives focusing on women's health, and improvements in healthcare systems in countries in the region. China, India, and Japan are the three of most important markets in Asia Pacific.
Key Players Operating in Global Gynecology and Pediatric Disposables Market
Major players operating in the global gynecology and pediatric disposables market are listed below:
- B. Braun Melsungen AG
- CooperSurgical, Inc.
- Ethicon, Inc.
- KARL STORZ GmbH & Co. KG
- KLS Martin Group
- MedGyn Products
- Olympus Corporation
- Richard WOLF GmbH
- Sklar Surgical Instruments
Global Gynecology and Pediatric Disposables Market: Research Scope
Global Gynecology and Pediatric Disposables Market, by Type
- Allis Forceps
- Artery Forceps
- Other Forceps
- Needle Holders
- Vaginal Speculums
- Sims’ Vaginal Speculums
- Cusco Vaginal Speculums
- Other Vaginal Speculums (Graves’ vaginal speculums, pediatric vaginal speculums, and Pederson vaginal speculums)
- Other surgical instruments
Global Gynecology and Pediatric Disposables Market, by Application
- Dilation & Curettage
- Other applications
Global Gynecology and Pediatric Disposables market, by End-user
- Hospitals & Clinics
- Ambulatory Surgery Centers
Global Gynecology and Pediatric Disposables Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Gynecology and Pediatric Disposables Market: Introduction
- Disposable hospital supplies are medical apparatus intended for one-time or temporary use. Different types of disposable medical and surgical devices are manufactured across the world, including gloves, gowns, drapes, needles, syringes, bandages, procedure kits, and trays. These medical supplies are key to preventing hospital-acquired infections, needle stick injuries, and other communicable diseases. These supplies are crucial in hospital settings because these save time for staff and lower healthcare costs.