GPIO Expanders Market
GPIO Expanders Market (Product: Totem Pole GPIO, Quasi-bidirectional GPIO, and LED PWM Open-drain GPIO; and Application: Cell Phones, Home Appliances, Cameras & Video Equipment, Portable Game Devices, Laptops & PCs, and Others) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2019 - 2027
- Electronics & Semiconductors
- 195 Pages
Increase in Demand for Improved GPIO Expanders in Tactile Keyboard Phones
GPIO expanders are experiencing increased demand in the electronics and technology segment to meet next-gen digital power processing requirements. The GPIO expanders are required in the development of tactile business phones. As such, among applications, cell phones segment of the GPIO expanders market is projected to reach a value of ~US$ 4.3 Bn by the end of 2027. Hence, manufacturers are increasingly focusing on the development of new smartphones that fulfil customer demands.
Phone companies and developers alike in the GPIO expanders market are addressing the demand for tactile business phones. Though touch-pad smartphones led to the decline of QWERTY keypad phones such as Blackberry, certain customers are still opting for the latter. For instance, coding and hardware specialist Arturo128 revealed updates on the development of Adafruit FeatherWing-compatible handheld phone based around the Blackberry keyboard.
Developers are increasingly employing GPIO expanders with other peripherals such as resistive touch controllers and accelerometers to develop phones with tactile QWERTY keyboard.
Request a sample to get extensive insights into the GPIO Expanders Market
Deployment of Next-gen Digital Power Processing in Microprocessor Application
Apart from product development, companies in the GPIO expanders market are focusing on inorganic strategies such as entering into distribution agreements. For instance, in June 2019, Mouser Electronics - a Texas-based online distributor of electronic components announced a global distribution agreement with Solantro - a provider of module-integrated electronic technology.
Companies in the GPIO expanders market are aiming to strengthen their supply chain by collaborating with other players. As such, the GPIO expanders market is consolidated with leading players accounting for ~50-60% of the market share. Emerging players are teaming up with established players to fulfill end user needs for energy management and power conversion applications.
To understand how our report can bring difference to your business strategy, Ask for a brochure
Moreover, increased efforts are being taken by companies to collaborate with semiconductor manufacturers to tap into opportunities in the development of renewable power systems. Manufacturers are increasing their efficacy in microprocessor applications. GPIO expanders are gaining traction in highly-integrated mixed ICs (Integrated Circuits) of digital power processors. Thus, GPIO expander acts as a reliable component for developers in order to boost functionality of high-speed analog peripherals and digital accelerators.
Flexible Embedded Systems Accelerate Demand for GPIO Expanders
GPIO expanders are being increasingly used in microprocessor and microcontroller applications. Right from the development of IoT devices to building wide cluster of networked embedded devices, innovative applications are fueling the growth of the GPIO expanders market. However, certain challenges are likely to slow down market growth.
The GPIO expanders market is estimated to expand at a modest CAGR of ~4% during the forecast period. Several reasons account for this growth rate of the market. For instance, there is a growing need for flexibility in the development of networked embedded devices. New requirements and the need to incorporate new software and hardware pose challenges for manufacturing companies. Hence, manufacturers are incorporating PCBs (Printed Circuit Board) with multi-channel variable DC voltage output and GPIO expanders to increase flexibility in embedded systems.
Flexible embedded systems are being increasingly used to develop building management and control systems. Thus, consumer requirements for room temperature control and temperature assessment in coffee machines are catalyzing demand for GPIO expanders.
Rise in Use of GPIO Expanders in Microcontrollers and FPGAs
Growing demand for low-voltage compatibility is creating incremental opportunities for manufacturers in the GPIO expanders market. Companies are developing new I/O expanders that facilitate I2C interface and GPIO signals. Several drivers, such as the ability to incorporate multiple I/O pins in microcontrollers, are triggering the demand for advanced GPIO expanders. Thus, increased application of GPIO expanders in field-programmable gate array (FPGA) is driving manufacturers to increase their production capabilities.
Additionally, the rapidly growing electronic devices industry is another factor driving the GPIO expanders market. Rise in the FPGA application in laptops and PCs is creating lucrative opportunities for manufacturers. Thus, the laptops & PCs application segment is anticipated for exponential growth during the forecast period. This segment is estimated to reach a value of ~US$ 800 Mn by 2027. Hence, manufacturers are teaming up with engineers to enhance the functionality of microcontrollers and FPGAs.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on GPIO Expanders Market
New approaches in power conversion for digital power management are being adopted. Drivers such as the use of quad port expanders in PCB layout for high-speed interfaces in embedded systems and high-speed transceivers are creating cumulative opportunities for manufacturers. Companies are assertive for business expansions in North America and Asia Pacific, since the two regions have the potential for rapid market growth.
However, the disadvantage of relatively high development complexity in the IoT of cyber physical systems is slowing down the sales of GPIO expanders. Hence, companies in the GPIO expanders market should collaborate with engineers to understand their specific needs and requirements.
GPIO Expanders Market: Overview
- According to Transparency Market Research’s latest research report on the global GPIO expanders market for the historical period of 2017–2018 and the forecast period of 2019–2027, the rising demand for GPIO expanders for use in various applications is expected to boost the global GPIO expanders market during the forecast period
- In terms of revenue, the global GPIO expanders market is estimated to reach a value of ~US$ 4.3 Bn by 2027, expanding at a CAGR of ~4% during the forecast period
Increasing Demand for Cell Phones and Mobile Devices: A Key Driver
- General-purpose input/output (GPIO) expanders are extensively used in smartphones, tablets, and other mobile devices. GPIO expanders ranging from 8 bits to 40 bits and with a large number of input/output channels are provided by different manufacturers, which are compatible with microcontrollers that consume less current i.e. current of up to some micro amperes.
- Increasing sales of smartphones and other mobile devices are likely to drive the global market for GPIO expanders during the forecast period. Sales of smartphones have been increasing at a rapid pace in developing countries such as India, Indonesia, Malaysia, and Brazil.
- Thus, increasing demand for smartphones and other mobile devices is expected to boost the global GPIO expanders market during the forecast period
Introduction of Technologically Advanced Products: A Key Trend in GPIO Expanders Market
- Major manufacturers are introducing new technologies in GPIO expanders in order to serve applications such as small, wearable mobile devices and cloud server. In addition, manufacturers are focusing on the development of GPIO expanders with new features in terms of design
- Moreover, manufacturers are constantly trying to reduce operating voltages to lower battery drain and lengthen the time between two battery charging
- Leading market players are looking for new opportunities of growth and are manufacturing new GPIO extenders with low power consumption. This factor is expected to drive the global GPIO extenders market during the forecast period.
Decline in Demand for Consumer Electronics Products
- There is a slowdown in the consumer electronics industry currently, due to decrease in the sale of products such as personal computers, cameras, TV sets, MP3 players, and e-book readers
- Decline in import duties by governments is likely to result in increased domestic production of consumer electronics products in the near future. This would have an adverse effect on exports of consumer electronics products.
- The impact of this restraint is low at present and is expected to reduce in the near future
GPIO Expanders Market: Competition Landscape
- Detailed profiles of companies in the GPIO expanders market have been provided in the report to evaluate their financials, key product offerings, recent developments, and strategies
- Key players operating in the GPIO expanders market are
- NXP Semiconductors
- Maxim Integrated
- Microchip Technology Inc.
- Maxlinear, Inc.
- Texas Instrument
- Lattice Semiconductor
- Analog Devices, Inc.
- Silicon Laboratories
- On Semiconductor
- Semtech Corp.
- Diodes Incorporated SA
- Cypress Semiconductor Corporation
GPIO Expanders Market: Key Developments
Key providers of GPIO expanders are focusing on new product development and technological advancements. Some of the key developments in the GPIO expanders market are as follows:
- In March 2019, Adafruit, an open-source hardware company, launched a new product called Adafruit GPIO Expander Bonnet with 16 additional I/O over I2C. The product includes 16 additional digital input/output pins, which can be used for different input and output connections. Each pin can be set as a digital output (high or low) or as an input, with an internal pull-up. Primarily, these pins are designed for circuitry connections to SDA/SCL I2C pins for control.
In the report on the global GPIO expanders market, we have discussed individual strategies, followed by company profiles of providers of GPIO expanders. The ‘Competition Landscape’ section has been included in the report to provide readers with a dashboard view and market share analysis of key players operating in the GPIO expanders market.
GPIO Expanders Market - Scope of the Report
A new study on the global GPIO expanders market has been published by Transparency Market Research (TMR). It presents a wealth of information on key market dynamics including drivers, market trends, and challenges as well as structure of the global GPIO expanders market. TMR’s study offers valuable information on the global GPIO expanders market to illustrate how market growth would discern during the forecast period i.e. 2019–2027.
Key indicators of market growth, which include value chain analysis as well as supply chain analysis and compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) are elucidated in TMR’s study in a comprehensive manner. This data can help readers interpret quantitative aspects of anticipated growth of the global GPIO expanders market during the forecast period.
Extensive analysis of leading market players’ business strategies has also been featured in TMR’s study on the global GPIO expanders market. This can help readers understand key factors to foresee growth of the global GPIO expanders market. In this study, readers can also find specific data on qualitative and quantitative growth avenues for the global GPIO expanders market, which would guide market players in making apt decisions in the near future.
Key Questions Answered in TMR’s Study of GPIO Expanders Market
- What would be the Y-o-Y growth trend of the GPIO expanders market between 2019 and 2027?
- What is the influence of the changing trend in technologies on the GPIO expanders market?
- Would North America continue to remain the most profitable regional market for providers of GPIO expanders in the next few years?
- Which factors would hinder the GPIO expanders market during the forecast period?
- Which are leading companies operating in the GPIO expanders market?
A unique research methodology has been utilized by TMR to conduct a comprehensive research on the global GPIO expanders market and arrive at conclusions on future growth prospects of the market. This research methodology is a combination of primary and secondary research, which helps analysts warrant the accuracy and reliability of the conclusions drawn.
Secondary research sources referred to by analysts during the production of the report on the global GPIO expanders market include statistics from company annual reports, SEC filings, company websites, World Bank database, investor presentations, regulatory databases, government publications, and market white papers. Analysts have also interviewed senior managers, product portfolio managers, CEOs, VPs, and market intelligence managers who have contributed to the production of TMR’s study on the global GPIO expanders market as a primary research source.
These primary and secondary sources provided exclusive information during interviews, which served as a validation from leading players operating in the global GPIO expanders market. Access to an extensive internal repository as well as external proprietary databases allowed this report to address specific details and questions about the global GPIO expanders market with accuracy. The study also uses a top-down approach to assess the numbers for each segment and a bottom-up approach to counter-validate them. This has helped in making TMR’s estimates on future prospects of the global GPIO expanders market more reliable and accurate.
GPIO Expanders Market - Segmentation
TMR’s study on the global GPIO expanders market divides the market based on product, application, and region. Changing market trends and other crucial market dynamics associated with these segments of the global GPIO expanders market have been discussed in detail.
Totem Pole GPIO
LED PWM Open-drain GPIO
Cameras & Video Equipment
Portable Game Devices
Laptops & PCs
Middle East & Africa