Glutaraldehyde Market: Introduction
- Glutaraldehyde is a preserving and a sterilizing organic compound. This aldehyde is available in the form of aqueous solution, and is colorless oily liquid with a pungent smell. The compound is observed as strong sterilizer, toxic, and irritant.
- Glutaraldehyde is biodegradable, formaldehyde free, non-carcinogenic, non-bio-accumulative, and non-persistent. Due to these properties, it is widely used in high-level disinfection and water treatments. Furthermore, the 0.1% to 1% of concentration of glutaraldehyde is used as preservative and biocide.
Key Drivers of Global Glutaraldehyde Market
- Demand for glutaraldehyde is high in the health care industry, as its cold disinfection properties are expected to act as a major driving factor for the market. Industries, such as petroleum, paper and pulp, and animal health, have created several opportunities for the global glutaraldehyde market.
- Majority of medically invasive procedures require sterilization of the equipment in order to avoid infection resulting from contaminated equipment. Therefore, glutaraldehyde solution is extensively used in the healthcare sector to cold sterilize the equipment prior to any surgical procedure.
- Hospex, Glutarex, Cidex, Aldesen, and Soniacide are some of the sterilizing products used for medical equipment that contain glutaraldehyde as an active ingredient. Glutaraldehyde is also used as a fixative agent for tissues.
Get a Glimpse of the In-Depth Analysis through our Comprehensive Glutaraldehyde Market Brochure
Health Care Application Segment to Dominate Global Market
- Health care is projected to be the dominant application segment of the glutaraldehyde market, owing to increasing demand for disinfectants in the industry for sanitizing and sterilization purposes. Changing lifestyles of individuals have led to increased spending on personal care & hygiene, which also impacted the growth of the segment in the past few years.
- Growing concerns regarding water crisis and impurities in supply water have fueled the demand for water treatment systems at commercial and industrial scale, which use glutaraldehyde solutions as a microbicide in the wastewater treatment industry
- Around 45% to 50% of the glutaraldehyde solution is used as a microbicide in evaporative recirculating cooling towers and large air-conditioning systems, whereas less than 10% of aqueous glutaraldehyde is used in the water treatment application
- Approximately 25%–50% of glutaraldehyde solutions is used in the leather tanning application, where it increases the resistance of leathers toward water, alkalis, and mold, and soften them. It also used in off shore applications, where it is added to sea water in order to prevent attack from certain sulfate reducing microorganisms, which cause corrosion.
- Glutaraldehyde is used in industrial cleaning agents, particularly in the food and beverage industry and tobacco industry, owing to its good disinfecting property
Toxicity and Hazardous Nature of Glutaraldehyde to Hamper Market Growth
- Despite the wide spread application of glutaraldehyde, its high toxic and environmentally hazardous nature is anticipated to act as a major restraint for the market growth
- Use of this chemical is highly regulated by the government in respective regions, owing to health risks associated with it. Even 1% solution of glutaraldehyde is poisonous for humans and animals, and products containing more than 0.1% glutaraldehyde solution are labeled as hazardous.
- Market players are focusing to lower dependency on glutaraldehyde and find suitable substitutes, as high level of precaution is needed to reduce occupational and environmental exposure to glutaraldehyde
North America to Hold Significant Share of Global Glutaraldehyde Market
- In terms of region, the global glutaraldehyde market can be divided into: North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Europe is a major market for glutaraldehyde, owing to well-established research-based pharmaceutical and tanning industries in the region. Moreover, rising demand for glutaraldehyde in countries, such as the U.K., Australia, Norway, and France, has fueled market growth in the region.
- Asia Pacific is expected to be a rapidly growing market for glutaraldehyde, owing to the expanding health care and water treatment sectors in the region
- This market in Latin America is estimated to grow at a significant rate, owing to increasing animal housing activities in several countries of the region
Expanding Operations in Future? To Get the Perfect Launch Ask for a Custom Glutaraldehyde Market Report
Key Players Operating in Global Market
The global glutaraldehyde market is highly consolidated with a few major players dominating the market. Players operating in the market are concentrated in Europe and North America regions, and account for a substantial share of the glutaraldehyde market.
Key players operating in the global glutaraldehyde market include:
- BASF SE
- Dow Chemicals
- Union Carbide Corporation
- Finoric LLC
- Laohekou Jinghong Chemical Co., Ltd.
Global Glutaraldehyde Market: Research Scope
Global Glutaraldehyde Market, by Product
- Glutaraldehyde 25%
- Glutaraldehyde 50%
Global Glutaraldehyde Market, by Application
- Health Care
- Cleaning Agent
- Water Treatment
Global Glutaraldehyde Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.