Glucocorticoid Drugs: Introduction
- Glucocorticoid drugs are synthetic versions of glucocorticoids; steroids that are naturally occurring compounds in the body. These have several functions. These drugs interrupt inflammation by moving into cells and suppressing the proteins that go on to promote inflammation. These also help the body respond to stress and regulate body metabolism.
- Glucocorticoids are the first line of treatment for the management of any sort of adrenal insufficiency. The medication form of glucocorticoids such as hydrocortisone and other glucocorticoids (dexamethasone and prednisone) is recommended as a lifetime hormone replacement therapy for otherwise impaired cortisol levels.
- Glucocorticoid drugs available in the market are betamethasone, cortisone, dexamethasone, hydrocortisone, methylprednisolone, prednisolone, prednisone, and triamcinolone
- Glucocorticoid drugs are used to treat several disorders including autoimmune disorders, allergies & asthma, adrenal insufficiency, heart failure, cancer, and skin conditions
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Glucocorticoid Drugs Market
- The number of patients affected with chronic diseases is rising across the world. Increase in incidence of chronic diseases of the liver, heart, kidneys, and pancreas; and blood disorders, have augmented the demand for glucocorticoids.
- Increase in the incidence of chronic diseases and rise in the geriatric population across the globe drive the global glucocorticoid drugs market
- Surge in health care expenditure, rise in global per capita income, and improvement in health care infrastructure & government reimbursement programs in developed as well as developing countries are projected to propel the global glucocorticoid drugs market in the near future
- Glucocorticoids may sound like miracle drugs, but these do have side effects. Some of them are critical and quite damaging. Hence, these drugs are not prescribed for long-term use. Side effects of these drugs include increase in blood sugar level, rise in cholesterol & triglyceride levels, surge in risk of ulcers & gastritis, and suppression of immune system. Long-term use could cause weight gain, diabetes, acne, depression, and fatigue. Therefore, side effects associated with the use of glucocorticoids are likely to hamper the growth of the global market.
Allergies & Asthma to Lead Global Market
- The global glucocorticoid drugs market can be segmented based on drug type, indication, distribution channel, and region
- In terms of drug type, the global glucocorticoid drugs market can be divided into betamethasone, cortisone, dexamethasone, hydrocortisone, methylprednisolone, prednisolone, prednisone, triamcinolone, and others
- Based on indication, the global market can be categorized into allergies & asthma, arthritis, autoimmune disorders (multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, etc.), cancer, postoperative inflammation, psoriasis, skin disorders, ulcerative colitis, and others
- In terms of end-user, the global glucocorticoid drugs market can be classified into hospital pharmacies, retail pharmacies, and online pharmacies
Asia Pacific to be Lucrative Market
- The global glucocorticoid drugs market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Improving health care infrastructure, rise in awareness about timely diagnosis of underlying disorders, and large undiagnosed patient population are anticipated to present significant opportunities in the glucocorticoid drugs market in Asia Pacific in the near future.
Key Players Operating in Global Glucocorticoid Drugs Market
Leading players in the global glucocorticoid drugs market are:
- GlaxoSmithKline plc
- Pfizer, Inc.
- AstraZeneca plc
- Novartis International AG
Global Glucocorticoid Drugs Market: Research Scope
Global Glucocorticoid Drugs Market, by Drug Type
Global Glucocorticoid Drugs Market, by Indication
- Allergies & Asthma
- Autoimmune Disorders (multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, etc.)
- Postoperative Inflammation
- Skin Disorders
- Ulcerative Colitis
Global Glucocorticoid Drugs Market, by End-user
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies
- Online Pharmacies
Global Glucocorticoid Drugs Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!