GLP-1 Receptor Agonist: Introduction
- GLP-1 receptor agonist, also known as incretin mimetics, represents a class of medications used in the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus and obesity in adults. Drugs in the GLP-1 Receptor agonist include exenatide, lixisenatide, liraglutide, albiglutide, dulaglutide, and semaglutide. Extensive R&D is a key driver of the GLP-1 receptor agonist market. Several pharmaceutical and biotecnology development companies are engaged in R&D for the development of new formulations and molecules.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Market
- Prevalence of diabetes and obesity is expected to increase across the world due to change in lifestyle and various factors such as genetic mutations. According to various government and private organizations operating in the diabetes industry, diabetes is considered one of the top fatal diseases. According to the American Diabetes Association, diabetes accounts for nearly 71,000 deaths in the U.S. each year. About 1 in 11 adults in the country suffers from diabetes.
- According to American Diabetes Association data, in 2018, 34.2 million people in the U.S., or 10.5% of the population, had diabetes. Nearly 1.6 million people in the country have type 1 diabetes, including about 187,000 children and adolescents. Prevalence of diabetes is variable and is expected to increase in the near future. Rise in prevalence of diabetes across the U.S. is anticipated to boost the GLP-1 receptor agonist market.
- The world’s population is aging rapidly, especially in some developed countries such as the U.S. and Japan. These countries witness high rates of aging. According to the Population Reference Bureau, the number of people in the U.S. aged 65 and older is projected to nearly double from 52 million in 2018 to 95 million by 2060, and the 65-and-older age group is likely to account for 16% to 23% of the total population. Lifestyle disorders are more prevalent in the geriatric population. In addition to diagnostic and monitoring devices, an increase in the demand for lifestyle disorder drugs is likely to fuel the GLP-1 receptor agonist market.
North America to Hold Major Share in Global GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Market
- In terms of region, the global GLP-1 receptor agonist market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. North America dominated the global GLP-1 receptor agonist market in 2019. It is expected to maintain its dominant position during the forecast period thanks to a well-established pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical research industry in the region. Presence of leading global pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical companies in the region also makes it highly lucrative for various products employed in research activities. Europe also holds a notable share in the global GLP-1 receptor agonist market owing to the well-established medicine manufacturing sector and presence of major research laboratories and research-oriented universities in the region.
- Rapid adoption of emerging technologies and surge in innovation in Asia Pacific and the Middle East offer significant opportunities to manufacturers operating in the market. Moreover, rapid expansion of the pharmaceutical industry, rise in availability of branded drugs, and increase in burden of obesity-related disorders are fueling the market in these regions. Improvement in healthcare infrastructure, rise in use of combination therapies, and increase in pharmaceutical imports are likely to provide opportunities for market players to expand their geographic presence in the Middle East.
Key Players Operating in Global GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Market
The global GLP-1 receptor agonist market is fragmented, with presence of a large number of small-scale and large-scale companies.
Leading companies operating in the global GLP-1 receptor agonist market are:
- Eli Lilly and Company
- Novo Nordisk
- Intarcia Therapeutics
- Jiangsu Hengrui Medicine Co.
- Hanmi Pharmaceutical
- Innovent Biologics
Global GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Market: Research Scope
Global GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Market, by Route of Administration
Global GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Market, by Application
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus
- Non-alcoholic steatohepatitis
- Liver cirrhosis
Global GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Market, by End-user
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies
- Diabetes Clinics/ Centers
- Online Pharmacies
Global GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.