Oligonucleotide Synthesis Market: Introduction
- An oligonucleotide can be defined as a single-stranded chain made up of a number of nucleoside units linked together by phosphodiester bridges. Oligonucleotide synthesis can be defined as the chemical synthesis of relatively short fragments of nucleic acids.
- The synthesis of oligonucleotides is carried by the sequential addition of nucleotide residues at the 5’-terminus of the chain till the required sequence is attained. Synthesized oligonucleotides are widely used in therapeutics, research, and diagnostic applications.
- Oligonucleotides are used as probe reagents and primer in DNA-based diagnostic test kits and PCR & microarray-based reagents in life science research. These are increasingly being developed as direct therapeutic agents against a range of disease conditions such as cancer and neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.
- Antisense oligonucleotides, aptamers, and anti-micro RNAs are the major forms of oligonucleotides as therapeutics drugs. Antisense oligonucleotides are the most promising class of drugs. These act by blocking protein translation or by affecting splicing.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Oligonucleotide Synthesis Market
- Oligonucleotides are increasingly being used in applications across molecular biology and biotechnology for diagnostic and research purposes. Natural oligonucleotides have been widely used to select and determine DNA sequences (hybridization probes or affinity purification), gene construction, and site-directed mutagenesis. Additionally, combinational technology is an emerging research area, where oligonucleotides and their analogs are used significantly. Hence, increase in applications of oligonucleotides boosts the growth of the global oligonucleotide synthesis market.
- Technological development in organic molecules is expected to drive the global oligonucleotide synthesis market. Advanced synthesis of oligonucleotides provides longer oligos with better sequence fidelity and higher purity, which can be used in a number of molecular biology applications.
- However, high cost of synthesized oligonucleotides is projected to hamper the growth of the global oligonucleotide synthesis market, as it could reduce the affordability for certain researchers. Cost of up to 90,000 unique sequences per pool, for the oligo length 10–79, is US$ 4,000, and the cost increases by US$ 500 as the length increases by 30 bases i.e., the cost of oligo length 80–109 is US$ 4,500.
North America to Lead Global Oligonucleotide Synthesis Market
- In terms of region, the global oligonucleotide synthesis market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America dominated the global oligonucleotide synthesis market in 2019 attributed to the fast growing life science industry, increase in number of pharmaceutical companies focusing on oligonucleotides as therapeutic agents including antisense and RNAi therapeutics, and rise in focus on genetics and genomics in diagnostic applications
- Europe was the second largest market for oligonucleotide synthesis in 2019, followed by Asia Pacific. Asia Pacific is projected to be the fastest growing market for oligonucleotide synthesis during the forecast period followed by Latin America and Middle East & Africa. Rise in focus on personalized medicine, increase in biotechnology & life science research activities, and surge in gross expenditure on research & development (GERD) in China, India, and Japan fuel to the growth of the oligonucleotide synthesis market in Asia Pacific.
Key Players in Global Oligonucleotide Synthesis Market
Leading players in the global oligonucleotide synthesis market are:
- GE Healthcare
- Thermo Fisher Scientific
- Agilent Technologies, Inc.
- Merck KGaA
- Integrated DNA Technologies, Inc.
- Kaneka Eurogentec S.A. (Kaneka Corporation)
- TriLink BioTechnologies, LLC (Maravai Life Sciences)
- ATDBio Ltd.
- Gene Design, Inc.
- Eurofins Genomics
Global Oligonucleotide Synthesis Market: Research Scope
Global Oligonucleotide Synthesis Market, by Product Type
- Reagents & Consumables
- Synthesized Oligonucleotides
- DNA Oligonucleotides
- RNA Oligonucleotides
Global Oligonucleotide Synthesis Market, by Application
- Polymerase Chain Reaction
- Next Generation Sequencing
- Antisense Oligonucleotides
- Nucleic Acid Aptamers
Global Oligonucleotide Synthesis Market, by End-user
- Biotechnology & Pharmaceutical Companies
- Research Institutes
- Diagnostic Laboratories
Global Oligonucleotide Synthesis Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa