Oligonucleotide Synthesis Market: Introduction
- An oligonucleotide can be defined as a single-stranded chain made up of a number of nucleoside units linked together by phosphodiester bridges. Oligonucleotide synthesis can be defined as the chemical synthesis of relatively short fragments of nucleic acids.
- The synthesis of oligonucleotides is carried by the sequential addition of nucleotide residues at the 5’-terminus of the chain till the required sequence is attained. Synthesized oligonucleotides are widely used in therapeutics, research, and diagnostic applications.
- Oligonucleotides are used as probe reagents and primer in DNA-based diagnostic test kits and PCR & microarray-based reagents in life science research. These are increasingly being developed as direct therapeutic agents against a range of disease conditions such as cancer and neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.
- Antisense oligonucleotides, aptamers, and anti-micro RNAs are the major forms of oligonucleotides as therapeutics drugs. Antisense oligonucleotides are the most promising class of drugs. These act by blocking protein translation or by affecting splicing.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Oligonucleotide Synthesis Market
- Oligonucleotides are increasingly being used in applications across molecular biology and biotechnology for diagnostic and research purposes. Natural oligonucleotides have been widely used to select and determine DNA sequences (hybridization probes or affinity purification), gene construction, and site-directed mutagenesis. Additionally, combinational technology is an emerging research area, where oligonucleotides and their analogs are used significantly. Hence, increase in applications of oligonucleotides boosts the growth of the global oligonucleotide synthesis market.
- Technological development in organic molecules is expected to drive the global oligonucleotide synthesis market. Advanced synthesis of oligonucleotides provides longer oligos with better sequence fidelity and higher purity, which can be used in a number of molecular biology applications.
- However, high cost of synthesized oligonucleotides is projected to hamper the growth of the global oligonucleotide synthesis market, as it could reduce the affordability for certain researchers. Cost of up to 90,000 unique sequences per pool, for the oligo length 10–79, is US$ 4,000, and the cost increases by US$ 500 as the length increases by 30 bases i.e., the cost of oligo length 80–109 is US$ 4,500.
North America to Lead Global Oligonucleotide Synthesis Market
- In terms of region, the global oligonucleotide synthesis market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America dominated the global oligonucleotide synthesis market in 2019 attributed to the fast growing life science industry, increase in number of pharmaceutical companies focusing on oligonucleotides as therapeutic agents including antisense and RNAi therapeutics, and rise in focus on genetics and genomics in diagnostic applications
- Europe was the second largest market for oligonucleotide synthesis in 2019, followed by Asia Pacific. Asia Pacific is projected to be the fastest growing market for oligonucleotide synthesis during the forecast period followed by Latin America and Middle East & Africa. Rise in focus on personalized medicine, increase in biotechnology & life science research activities, and surge in gross expenditure on research & development (GERD) in China, India, and Japan fuel to the growth of the oligonucleotide synthesis market in Asia Pacific.
Key Players in Global Oligonucleotide Synthesis Market
Leading players in the global oligonucleotide synthesis market are:
- GE Healthcare
- Thermo Fisher Scientific
- Agilent Technologies, Inc.
- Merck KGaA
- Integrated DNA Technologies, Inc.
- Kaneka Eurogentec S.A. (Kaneka Corporation)
- TriLink BioTechnologies, LLC (Maravai Life Sciences)
- ATDBio Ltd.
- Gene Design, Inc.
- Eurofins Genomics
Global Oligonucleotide Synthesis Market: Research Scope
Global Oligonucleotide Synthesis Market, by Product Type
- Reagents & Consumables
- Synthesized Oligonucleotides
- DNA Oligonucleotides
- RNA Oligonucleotides
Global Oligonucleotide Synthesis Market, by Application
- Polymerase Chain Reaction
- Next Generation Sequencing
- Antisense Oligonucleotides
- Nucleic Acid Aptamers
Global Oligonucleotide Synthesis Market, by End-user
- Biotechnology & Pharmaceutical Companies
- Research Institutes
- Diagnostic Laboratories
Global Oligonucleotide Synthesis Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.