Glass-ionomer Cement Market: Introduction
- Glass-ionomer cement is used in dentistry as a limiting cement and filling material. It is a dental restorative material used for orthodontic bracket attachment. Glass-ionomer cements are derived from the reaction of silicate glass-powder and polyacrylic acid ionomer.
- Glass-ionomer cement is used in the prevention of dental caries. This material exhibit good adhesion properties, which allows it to form a tight seal in between the surrounding environment and internal structures of teeth.
Key Drivers of Glass-ionomer Cement Market
- Glass-ionomer cement is expected to expand significantly during the forecast period, owing to better features of this material over traditionally used ones, such as resin sealants. Glass-ionomer cement has high moisture tolerance, thin film thickness, and the ability to release fluoride, which helps the demineralized tooth to re-mineralize again. Due to such unique characteristics, the demand for glass-ionomer cement is anticipated to grow by 2027.
- Glass-ionomers are used majorly due to the versatile properties of the material and the ease of application when applied on tooth. In dental application, cermets are used, which are metal reinforced glass-ionomer cements. Cermets are used to restore tooth loss as a result of decay or cavity in tooth surface, or at the tooth root. Cermets can be incorporated at other sites on various teeth depending on the desired function.
To clarify your doubts about the report on Glass-ionomer Cement Market, Request a Brochure here
Luting Segment to Offer Attractive Opportunities
- In terms of product type, the luting segment held a significant share of the global glass-ionomer cement market in 2018. This can be attributed to the rise in the number of dental restorations at the global level and awareness about dental care. Luting agents are selected based on their durability pertaining to fixed restorations. Furthermore, easy availability of these agents is expected to drive the segment growth in the near future.
- The restorative cement segment is projected to grow at a rapid rate during the forecast period, owing to the increase in use of glass-ionomers cement in restorations of tooth. Retention of restorations on a prepared tooth is the main function of glass-ionomers cement. Hence, the growing number of restoration activities is expected to drive the segment during the forecast period.
- Rise in the number of dental procedures is boosting the sales of restorative supplies. Moreover, glass-ionomers cement has several advantages in restorations, such as strong marginal seal that helps to avoid secondary decay and micro-leakage, durability, and allows easy interior and exterior cleanup. Due to these features, the restorative cement segment is anticipated to hold a considerable share of the glass-ionomer cement market in the near future.
Availability of Substitutes and Disadvantages of Glass-ionomer Cements to Hamper Market
- Disadvantages of glass-ionomer cements are inadequate retention or lack of strength, limited wear resistance, and low toughness. Different methods have been used to address the physical shortcomings of glass-ionomer cements, such as thermo-light curing (polymerization), or addition of the zirconia, hydroxyapatite, N-vinyl pyrrolidone, N-vinyl caprolactam, and fluoroapatite, to reinforce glass-ionomer cement.
- Easy availability of various alternatives, which can be used as substitutes for glass-ionomer cement is expected to hamper the market growth. These substitutes include zinc phosphate, polycarboxylate, and resin-based sealants, which are used as dental cement.
Asia Pacific to Hold Significant Share of Global Glass-ionomer Cement Market
- In terms of region, the global glass-ionomer cement market can be split into: North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America dominated the global glass-ionomer cement market in 2018, owing to high disposable income, well-developed healthcare infrastructure, and extensive research & development activities
- The number of dental restorations in expected to increase in North America during the forecast period. Growing incidences of dental problems and innovations in dental materials are likely to enhance the demand for glass-ionomer cement in the region.
- This market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to expand at a significant pace, owing to increase in the number of dental restorations and spending power of consumers. In addition, growth in dental tourism in emerging economies, such as India, presents opportunities for market players. These factors are expected to boost the glass-ionomer cement market in the region.
To Get a Bird’s Eye View of Glass-ionomer Cement Market Forecast, Ask for a Custom Report
Key Players Operating in Global Market
The global market for glass-ionomer cement is fragmented with a large number of companies competing with each other. These players are focusing on growth strategies, such as innovations in dental devices and materials, new product developments, and mergers & acquisitions. Key players operating in the global glass-ionomer cement market include:
- GC America
- 3M Company
- DENTSPLY SIRONA
- Shofu Dental Corporation
- Ivoclar Vivadent
- VOCO GmbH
- Kerr Corporation
- Promedica Dental Material GmbH
- Harvard Apparatus
- Rongxiang Dent
- Shanghai DMF
- Shanghai New Century
Global Glass-ionomer Cement Market: Research Scope
Global Glass-ionomer Cement Market, by Product Type
- Restorative Cement
- Luting Cement
Global Glass-ionomer Cement Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.