Global Giant Cell Arteritis Therapeutics Market: Introduction
- Giant cell arteritis (GCA) is a form of vasculitis, a family of rare disorders, which is characterized by inflammation of the blood vessels that can restrict flow of blood and damage vital organs and tissues. GCA is also called temporal arteritis and it generally affects the arteries in the scalp and neck, especially the temples. It can also affect the aorta and its large branches to the head, arms, and legs. GCA is the most common form of vasculitis in adults aged over 50.
- The most common symptoms of giant cell arteritis include throbbing headaches, fever, jaw pain, vision problems, and joint pain. Early treatment is vital to prevent serious complications such as stroke or blindness.
Key Drivers of Global Giant Cell Arteritis Therapeutics Market
- Rise in prevalence of cardiovascular disorders across the world boosts the growth of the global giant cell arteritis therapeutics market. Heart disease is the leading cause of death among men, women, and people of racial and ethnic groups in the U.S. One person dies every 37 seconds in the country from cardiovascular disease.
- Increase in the geriatric population is also one of the major drivers of the global giant cell arteritis therapeutics market. According to the WHO, the proportion of the world's population over 60 years will double from about 11% in 2000 to 22% in 2050. The absolute number of people aged 60 years and above is expected to increase from 605 million to 2 billion during the same period.
- Rise in awareness and technological advancements in health care are encouraging people to opt for advanced and modern treatment procedures for treating giant cell arteritis. This is projected to fuel the growth of the global giant cell arteritis treatment market.
Are you a Start-up willing to make it big in the Business? Grab an Exclusive PDF Brochure of Giant Cell Arteritis Therapeutics Market Report
- Additionally, rise in urbanization, increase in expenditure on public health programs, and surge in research & developmental activities are anticipated to boost the growth of the global giant cell arteritis therapeutics market
- However, high medical and research & development costs are expected to restrain the global giant cell arteritis therapeutics market during the forecast period
Strategies Adopted by Key Players to Propel Global Market
- Companies operating in the global giant cell arteritis therapeutics market focus on catering to the needs of the medical community as well as patients by introducing new products and technologies. Leading players emphasize on research & development and engage in acquisitions, mergers, and colla1borations to strengthen their position in the global market.
- In December 2019, Kite (a Gilead Company) and Kiniksa Pharmaceuticals announced clinical collaboration to evaluate investigational combination of yescarta and mavrilimumab in relapsed or refractory large b-cell lymphoma. Kiniksa is developing mavrilimumab for the potential treatment of giant cell arteritis (GCA), a chronic inflammatory disease of medium to large arteries.
- In October 2019, AbbVie announced that the European Medicines Agency's (EMA) Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) adopted a positive opinion for RINVOQ (upadacitinib), a once-daily selective and reversible JAK inhibitor, for the treatment of adult patients with moderate to severe active rheumatoid arthritis who have responded inadequately to or who are intolerant to one or more disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs (DMARDs). The positive opinion is for use of upadacitinib as monotherapy or in combination with methotrexate.
- In November 2018, Roche announced the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval for ACTPen 162 mg/0.9 mL, a single-dose prefilled autoinjector, for Actemra (tocilizumab) as an additional formulation for adult patients with moderate to severe active rheumatoid arthritis (RA) who have had an inadequate response to one or more disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs (DMARDs), and for adult patients with giant cell arteritis (GCA). Moreover, ACTPen can be administered by caregivers to patients two years of age and older with active polyarticular juvenile idiopathic arthritis (pJIA) or active systemic juvenile idiopathic arthritis (sJIA).
- Developing countries present lucrative opportunities in the giant cell arteritis therapeutics market owing to increase in patient population, surge in prevalence of cardiovascular diseases, and rise in research & development activities in these countries
Expanding Operations in Future? To Get the Perfect Launch Ask for a Custom Giant Cell Arteritis Therapeutics Market Report
North America to Account for Major Share of Global Giant Cell Arteritis Therapeutics Market
- North America is projected to account for leading share of the global giant cell arteritis therapeutics market during the forecast period due to increase in the patient population, rise in research & development activities, well-established health care infrastructure, continuous technological advancements, surge in the number of well-equipped laboratories, and presence of key players
- The giant cell arteritis therapeutics market in Asia Pacific is projected to grow at a rapid pace during the forecast period due to rise in prevalence of cardiovascular diseases, expanding health care sector, and increase in interest of key players in expanding presence in the region
Key Players Operating in Global Giant Cell Arteritis Therapeutics Market
Leading players in the global giant cell arteritis therapeutics market focus on research & development and technological advancements. Their competitors also emphasize on various growth strategies such as mergers, acquisitions, product advancements, new product approvals & launches, partnerships, and collaborations. Leading players operating in the global giant cell arteritis therapeutics market are:
- Kiniksa Pharmaceuticals, Ltd.
- GlaxoSmithKline plc
- F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd.
- Novartis AG
- AbbVie, Inc.
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
- Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc.
Global Giant Cell Arteritis Therapeutics Market: Research Scope
Global Giant Cell Arteritis Therapeutics Market, by Mechanism of Action
- Immunosuppressive Agents
Global Giant Cell Arteritis Therapeutics Market, by Therapeutics
Global Giant Cell Arteritis Therapeutics Market, by Route of Administration
Global Giant Cell Arteritis Therapeutics Market, by Distribution Channel
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Online Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies
Global Giant Cell Arteritis Therapeutics Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.