Food Intolerance Testing Market: Introduction
- Food intolerance is an abnormal non-immune response with allergy-like symptoms after ingesting of food. It can result from pharmacological reactions, enzyme deficiencies, or response to toxic or irritant components of food. Symptoms of food intolerance include irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), urticaria, skin rashes, nasal congestion, angioedema and eczema, pharyngeal irritations, sinusitis, asthma and unproductive cough, abdominal cramp, mouth ulcers, intermittent diarrhea, nausea, gas, and constipation. Symptoms may include anaphylaxis. Symptoms are usually confined to the gastrointestinal system, for example, bloating, abdominal pain, and diarrhea.
- Technological advancements and government funding are expected to drive the global food intolerance testing market during the forecast period. Additionally, reduction in time and cost coupled with increase in the need for customized food intolerance testing fuels the global food intolerance testing market.
Are you a Start-up willing to make it Big in the Business? Grab an Exclusive PDF Brochure of Report
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Food Intolerance Testing Market
- Increasing prevalence of food intolerance and allergies
- According to data published by the World Health Organization (WHO), the rate of prevalence of food intolerance and allergies to food in the U.S. in 2016 was around 8% among children and 5% among adults. Moreover, reports published on food intolerance and allergies by the WHO over the last decade state that the rate of prevalence of food-induced hospitalizations in the U.S. increased from 0.6 per 1,000 patients in 2007 to 1.3 per 1,000 patients in 2017.
- Rising prevalence of food intolerance in North America, Europe, and Asia Pacific is expected to drive food intolerance testing market in these regions during the forecast period
- Increased health care expenditure worldwide
- The changing economic environment has resulted in high health care expenditure and increased demand for high-quality health care and diagnostic services, leading to remarkable growth of the global allergy diagnostics sector, especially the food intolerance testing segment of this sector
- According to the WHO, the global per capita health care expenditure has increased. The global health care sector is expanding at a higher pace than the global economy itself. The global health care spending rose at a rate of 3.9% per year between 2000 and 2017, while the global economy grew at a rate of 3.0% per year.
- Middle-income countries are converging rapidly to higher spending rates. The health care spending in these countries rose at a rate of 6.3% per year between 2000 and 2017, while the economy of these countries expanded at a rate of 5.9% per year.
- In 2017, the health care spending in low-income countries increased at a rate of 7.8% over that in 2016. In low-income countries, the average health care spending was only US$ 41 per person in 2017, compared to that in high-income countries (US$ 2.937), which is a disparity of more than 70 folds.
- High-income countries account for about 80% of the global health care spending. On the other hand, the share of middle-income countries increased from 13% to 19% of the global spending between 2000 and 2017.
Insulin Infusion Pumps Segment to Dominate Global Market
- In terms of test types, the global food intolerance testing market can be classified into conventional tests and alternative allergy tests
- The conventional tests segment can be sub-categorized into skin-based tests and blood tests. The skin-based tests sub-segment can be further divided into scratch tests, intradermal tests, and patch tests. The blood tests sub-segment can be further classified into ELISA and Rast.
- Moreover, the alternative allergy tests segment can be sub-categorized into invasive tests and non-invasive tests. The invasive tests sub-segment can be further segregated into IgG blood tests, cytotoxic tests, electro-dermal tests, and microarray tests. The non-invasive tests sub-segment can be further categorized into pulse tests and kinesiology tests.
- Based on end-user, the global food intolerance testing market can be divided into hospitals, diagnostic centers, and others
Looking for Regional Analysis or Competitive Landscape, Ask for a Customized Report
Asia Pacific Food Intolerance Testing Market to Expand at a Rapid Pace
- In terms of region, the global food intolerance testing market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America is expected to dominate the global food tolerance testing market during the forecast period. This can be attributed to presence of well-established health care infrastructure and increasing demand for better treatment facilities in the U.S.
- In 2015, the U.S. had the maximum per capita health care expenditure across the world, which was valued at US$ 9,523 by Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). Additionally, availability of better and advanced health care facilities has resulted in people spending more on health care. Furthermore, advancements in the development of drugs for food intolerance testing is a driving factor for the market in the U.S.
- Asia Pacific is expected to be a market with high potential for food intolerance testing during the forecast period. Increase in affordability of treatments and rise in awareness about food intolerance testing are expected to drive the Asia Pacific market during the forecast period. Moreover, rapidly changing lifestyle of people in Asia and increasing incidence of food intolerance are expected to augment the food intolerance testing market in Asia Pacific during the forecast period.
Leading Players Operating in Global Food Intolerance Testing Market
The global food intolerance testing market was highly fragmented in 2018. Key players operating in the global food intolerance testing market are:
- Pamela’s Products, Inc.
- Amy’s Kitchen, Inc.
- SGS SA
- Intertek Group plc.
- Eurofins Scientific
- ALS Limited
- Alletess Medical Laboratory
Global Food Intolerance Testing Market: Research Scope
Global Food Intolerance Testing Market, by Test Type
- Conventional Tests
- Skin-based Tests
- Scratch Tests
- Intradermal Tests
- Patch Tests
- Blood Tests
- Skin-based Tests
- Alternative Allergy Tests
- Invasive Tests
- Cytotoxic Tests
- Electro-dermal Tests
- Microarray Tests
- IgG Blood Tests
- Non-invasive Tests
- Pulse Tests
- Kinesiology Tests
- Invasive Tests
Global Food Intolerance Testing Market, by End-user
- Diagnostic Centers
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.